With a Manual Transmission, YR or YRS?

Hazyman

It sounds like an old question, but I didn't find anyone here had asked this before. Could anyone help me?

I'm thinking to buy a manual transmission Yaris, 1.3L YR or 1.5L YRS, but I hadn't driven either of them. My driving condition is combined with busy road and highway, more specifically, from Southland Shopping Centre to Camberwell Railway Station.

With manual transmission, both of their 0-100km acceleration seems to be adequate, 11.5s and 10.5s. But I don't know about 1.3L YR's 63kw power on the Nepean Highway, or occasionally on Eastern Freeway, is it capable without high rev and engine buzzy that may impair hearing? YRS's 80kw is good, but is it worth the $1650 for the engine difference and extras (mainly 15" steel tyres, audio control on steering wheel, leather gearnob)?

And one more question, do you all guys drive manual or auto? is there anything difficult with Toyota's manual?

Many thanks!

Edited by Hazyman

I drive an auto yr. Its weak and uses a lot of petrol compared to a manual. If i were to get another yaris, i would get a 1.5 with manual and those extra features are a nice touch too. Wish i had them in my yaris.

As for driving on the freeway, my yaris is very noisy and very bumpy.

I drive a YR Manual. In both variations i'd prob just go manual. But i prefer manual anyhow. Though If your going to get the 1.3L YR, definatly get a manual and not the Auto. But if your opting for the 1.5L YRS, either Auto or Manual is fine. Cruising at on the freeway at 100km/h seems not that noisy, but i have an exhaust so hey i can't really complain about any noises that you may be looking out for. Roughly in 5th it revs at 2900-3000rpm @ 100km/km. And the 1.5L im guessing would be maybe 2800-2900rpms. I haven't driven one on the freeway myself.

Why don't you test drive both before deciding ?

I own a auto YRS and had test driven auto YR as well.

IMO auto YRS has sufficient power for short commutes.

With the traffic condition these days, i won't even consider a manual, not worth the hassle.

Edited by joelau007

I drive a YR Manual. In both variations i'd prob just go manual. But i prefer manual anyhow. Though If your going to get the 1.3L YR, definatly get a manual and not the Auto. But if your opting for the 1.5L YRS, either Auto or Manual is fine. Cruising at on the freeway at 100km/h seems not that noisy, but i have an exhaust so hey i can't really complain about any noises that you may be looking out for. Roughly in 5th it revs at 2900-3000rpm @ 100km/km. And the 1.5L im guessing would be maybe 2800-2900rpms. I haven't driven one on the freeway myself.

Thank you, especially for the highway rev info.

I have a manual YRS, and it's a lot of fun to drive. However, on the freeway at speeds like 90-100km/h, you get both road noise and engine noise. I've never taken notice of what the revs sit at at those speeds in 5th gear, but I'll take note of it next time for you.

having driven both the YR and YRS, I would definitely say the YRS is the one to go for, for the .1 l/100km fuel economy decrease you get ~20kw extra and a car that is alot zippier on the road.

I have a manual YRS, and it's a lot of fun to drive. However, on the freeway at speeds like 90-100km/h, you get both road noise and engine noise. I've never taken notice of what the revs sit at at those speeds in 5th gear, but I'll take note of it next time for you.

Thank you very much, Ken!

having driven both the YR and YRS, I would definitely say the YRS is the one to go for, for the .1 l/100km fuel economy decrease you get ~20kw extra and a car that is alot zippier on the road.

Definitely not for the tiny fuel efficiency, just because I heard all toyota's interior noise is relatively lower than others, which appealed to me. I will probably got time to test drive one next week, and I'll just see how do they go. And thank you as well.

If you got the 1.3 litre, you will always wish you had gotten the 1.5.

Take this from someone with a 1.3 litre Echo that can't wait to swap the 1.5 litre motor into it.

Oh yes, over the long weekend I hit 100km/h and it hovers at about ~2700-2800rpm over a flat stretch. This is for a 5spd manual YRS.

Thats also about the same for the 4speed auto. Was hoping the manual would be much lower. Guess the gear ratios are almost equal in both manual and auto.

Oh yes, over the long weekend I hit 100km/h and it hovers at about ~2700-2800rpm over a flat stretch. This is for a 5spd manual YRS.

Thats also about the same for the 4speed auto. Was hoping the manual would be much lower. Guess the gear ratios are almost equal in both manual and auto.

Yeah, it must be. It's more close to 2700 (possibly even 2600). Driving at 100km/h, I couldn't really take my eyes off the road and count the rev bars. LOL :P

I have a manual YR and at 100km/h it's revving at 3000rpm. Don't get the YR, ever..... you'll be kicking yourself forever. I didn't get mine by choice, they told me it was a 1.5L :P

• 1 month later...

I was thinking of getting a Yaris, I test drove the 1.3 the other day but never got to take up any hills--I want a manual 5 door, they have one called "The edge" however I THINK that is only 1.3 I was thinking that the 1.5 would have to be better althought short test drive the 1.3 seems nippy. I really just wanted some info on the Yaris from others that have them and to see what you all thought of them generally. I would appreciate any info at all and if those of you that have them are happy with them and if they are over all a nice car to drive, what are the pros and cons. Thanks

Edited by Gonaget

^^^

yes The Edge in either 3 or 5 door is a 1.3l engine.

Its based on the YR spec car, but with the added cosmetic trims such as Alloy Wheels, Fog Lamps, Carpet Mats, and the Graphic 6 disc, MP3 compatible player with Bluetooth.

if i was buying a Yaris... i would get either the YRS or YRX in the 1.5.

VSC is not available on any of the 1.3l models.

VSC stands for Vehicle Stability Control. I think it prevents you from loosing control of your car when driving in slippery conditions (e.g. wet roads, icy roads). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what came back from a quick Google search. :)

VSC stands for Vehicle Stability Control. I think it prevents you from loosing control of your car when driving in slippery conditions (e.g. wet roads, icy roads). Someone correct me if I'm wrong, that's just what came back from a quick Google search. :)

That's correct. It doesn't quite prevent you from losing control, but it tries to help keep you in control.

Here is a video that gives you an idea of it all. From 2 minutes onwards you can see the VSC test:

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!