Lowered Aurion noise

httttt

Hey people, I lowered my Aurion by putting in King Springs (kept original shocks and they have done 50k) around 2 weeks ago and ever since I have heard a slight rubbing noise from the front drivers side when going over a large bump or speed hump and occasionally when turning left.

It doesnt happen when turning right. and I initially thought this was weird but simple physics makes sense as when turning right it is the left wheel under the most stress.

Anyway, the noise is sort of like rubber rubbing.. Like when rub wet glass with rubber gloves and it makes that sort of eerr-oorr noise (not like a donkey).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It doesn't sound like your tires are scrubbing cause that sound is like a pfft pfft pfft sound. Unless of course your unlucky enough to have the tires rubbing on the metal bodywork in the wheel arches. Best way to rule this out is to inspect your wheel arches for signs of scrubbing.

Sounds nearly like a suspension bush is running a little dry. But hard to say really without checking it out in person.

I'm not sure of the dynamics of it so someone else could comment, but can bump stops create any noise when being subjected to compression? I know the bump stops in the Aurion play a part in the spring rate because there isn't much suspension travel before the bump stops make complete contact and start behaving as part of the overall suspesnsion.

It doesn't sound like your tires are scrubbing cause that sound is like a pfft pfft pfft sound. Unless of course your unlucky enough to have the tires rubbing on the metal bodywork in the wheel arches. Best way to rule this out is to inspect your wheel arches for signs of scrubbing.

Sounds nearly like a suspension bush is running a little dry. But hard to say really without checking it out in person.

HMM. thanks man..

It happened with the standard 16" hub cap wheels as well as my current wheels. I will inspect the bodywork...

Should have suspension bushes been regressed when I lowered it (backyard job)? lol....

Ok. I have another factor that might help....

I can replicate the sound while stationary by pulling the body above the wheel up (holding backwards with both hands facing away from the car). This eliminates the suggestion that it could possibly be scrubbing.

This happens on both front wheels but neither of the rear... But the left seems to be louder.. I pushed down the shocks when I had them out of the car and they were smooth and quiet.

My initial thoughts at the moment is that it is not a very serious issue as the car is very smooth to drive with no noticable defects.

Ok. I have another factor that might help....

I can replicate the sound while stationary by pulling the body above the wheel up (holding backwards with both hands facing away from the car). This eliminates the suggestion that it could possibly be scrubbing.

This happens on both front wheels but neither of the rear... But the left seems to be louder.. I pushed down the shocks when I had them out of the car and they were smooth and quiet.

My initial thoughts at the moment is that it is not a very serious issue as the car is very smooth to drive with no noticable defects.

hey jeff,

on a unrelated issue, did you take any pictures of your car lowered with the standard 16inch wheels?

hey jeff,

on a unrelated issue, did you take any pictures of your car lowered with the standard 16inch wheels?

Sorry Dave, I didnt bother.. But the profile of the tyre I had on the 16" wheels where quite large and filled up most fo the rim front and back (about 1.5cm gap at the back and about 2.5cm at the front). They filled much more than my current set.

• 7 months later...

sorry to grave dig thins, but jeff did you find a solution to this? as i have just lowered my aurion with pedders and i get a similar sound when going up and down driveways?

anyone have any ideas on this at all? is it common for cars lowered on springs to have noise from suspension?

thanks

sorry to grave dig thins, but jeff did you find a solution to this? as i have just lowered my aurion with pedders and i get a similar sound when going up and down driveways?

anyone have any ideas on this at all? is it common for cars lowered on springs to have noise from suspension?

thanks

Nope, just learnt to ignore it. It is very noticeable but none of my passengers (even car buffs) never comment neither have Toyota Servicing.

Taco...did you get a wheel alignment after lowering?

Not straight away. But since then I have had 2 wheel alignments. No change.

• 3 months later...

thanks

i get it too :(

No solution as of yet as I still haven't figured out what it is.

I hope when we find out it isnt serious..... because it has been like this for months. :P

Can you guys check something for me?

Stand at the wheel facing away for the car (so if you leant on the car your butt would be above the wheel)

Grab the wheel arch and lift it up and down.

Can you hear the squeeky rubbery noise while your reverse dry humping the car?

Because I can.

• 11 months later...

I have the same issue with my TRD. Before buying the car the salesman got their mechanic to 'look over' the car twice and found nothing wrong... It's hard to hear over the creaks and groans of the dash lol...

Did you find out what it was in the end??

Nope... And to be honest I don't even know if the noise is there any more... LOL...

I assume it is is still there and I have come accustom to it. Either that or it has worn back what ever was rubbing enough for it to stop.

Had the exact same problem with my King springs on the TRD when they were fitted 8 months ago....front drivers side had an annoying noise.....

Took it back and they could find nothing wrong, but with all the messing around with them and putting it back together, the noise dissappeared.

I put it down to not sitting correctly and now it has settled in nicely.........and these are Kings SSL's......

I do get alot of tyre noise now, but its not too bad...no scrubbing at all on the 19's........

I'm tempted to book it in with the dealership and the said they are happy to look at it again as I've really only had the car a week.... My concern is with some little punk taking my car for a 'test' to replicate the noise.... I'm sure I read somewhere in here where some one had their car blown up during a pre-service test!!!!

I'd be out for blood!!!

I'm tempted to book it in with the dealership and the said they are happy to look at it again as I've really only had the car a week.... My concern is with some little punk taking my car for a 'test' to replicate the noise.... I'm sure I read somewhere in here where some one had their car blown up during a pre-service test!!!!

I'd be out for blood!!!

You can go for the drive with them when you drop off the car. I've done this more than 5 times.

Result!

Went for a diagnostic drive with Steve from Oldmac Cleveland. His initial impression was worn bushes in the upper suspension arm.

The car was taken to the garage and about 20 minutes later Steve returned with 8 pieces of what was my bump stop.

Unfortunately the nearest one is on order from Townsville. The VVTi hose was meant to get changed at the same time but unfortunately they ordered the standard one..

The wheel caps are also on order so finger crossed, some time next week my baby will be mint!

On a side note, although they ordered the wrong part the guys at Oldmac Cleveland have been very good to deal with!

Result!

Went for a diagnostic drive with Steve from Oldmac Cleveland. His initial impression was worn bushes in the upper suspension arm.

The car was taken to the garage and about 20 minutes later Steve returned with 8 pieces of what was my bump stop.

Unfortunately the nearest one is on order from Townsville. The VVTi hose was meant to get changed at the same time but unfortunately they ordered the standard one..

The wheel caps are also on order so finger crossed, some time next week my baby will be mint!

On a side note, although they ordered the wrong part the guys at Oldmac Cleveland have been very good to deal with!

Nice work!

How much was the Bump Stop?

I'm looking around for a diagram of where they are on the Aurion.

Does anyone know if these are easily replaced?

Is this the bumper you were talking about (see attached picture)?

If so then it is fairly easy to replace with the right tools.

I wonder the cost.

post-14100-0-29252200-1312415084_thumb.j

Sorry for the triple post but I called up to get a price from Lander Toyota Parts.

$25 Each - Front

Part number 4833133032

I'm thinking of buying a 2 and just giving it a go.