Noisy KYB Shocks

Brad!

Guys,

Recently got KYB Excel G's installed.

When i go over speed bumps (Slowly) these creak and moan similar to the D2 rubbish i had before...

Question - Is this normal for the shocks or should i get it checked out?

Creaks and moans would lead me towards springs, you can always take the shock out and manually move the rod up and down to see if the noise is there, or at least bounce each corner and listen carefully to try and isolate the location of the noise.

The springs are brand new King Springs.

The car itself travels fine, its just the annoying noise.

I paid a fair bit to get them installed so not keen on taking them out - But im taking its not normal?

Cheers for the responses thus far

I'm running into similiar problems only recently, but I've tried changing different set of lowered springs before and the sound is still there. I've checked everything else already, even went as far as installing new rear axle beam bushes (from energy suspension). Will be putting back stock spings and see how I go with them.

Re-check the bolts/washers securing your struts.

Front, rears, top, bottom.

See if you can un-do them with your hand. Or else, try using tools.

My KYBs has nv done anything you just mentioned so that is what I would suggest you look for.

My KYBs has nv done anything you just mentioned so that is what I would suggest you look for.

second that.. check the rear sway bar.. i paid a good 70 dollars to be directed around sussy / exhaust shops to finally find that rear sway bolts were loose

second that.. check the rear sway bar.. i paid a good 70 dollars to be directed around sussy / exhaust shops to finally find that rear sway bolts were loose

I hate to say this kenno but I TOLD YOU SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I hate to say this kenno but I TOLD YOU SO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I "did" get my rear sway tighten 1st thou.. so i ruled that out but sigh... :(

• 1 month later...

Guys,

The car has been back to mechanic twice since they were installed.

everything seems to be tight and normal however i am still stuck with this squeaking noise similar to the D2s.

The last thing he wants to try is changing the rubber mounts that the springs sit on as he said that because i changed springs as well that they might not be sitting correctly.

Any other things i could get him to check.

I bought these 'as news' so im guessing the shocks themselves are ok

• 1 month later...
Bump - sound not getting better

My guess is that the springs are not sitting in the perches correctly and that the rubber sleeves that the springs sit on are in the wrong spot allowing the spring to touch the steel part of the perch on the strut body. This can happen especially in the front on the upper spring perch as these can be a pita to get right. Rears not such an issue as they sit on the steel perch on the bottom but have the rubber on the top. the fronts have the rubber sleeve/dust cover under the spring perch which locates on the notched part of the strut shaft, then you have the dust seal for the top bearing plates then the nut to hold it all together. I have seen the spring perch not located on the notched section of the strut which caused some pretty horrific noises when driving. Check all these things as they are really a simple fix but downside is you have to remove the strut from the car to check properly.