Orange Peel Paint Finish

Kesawi

Do you have orange peel?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Upon closer inspection I discovered that the paint finish on my Kluger has orange peel everywhere. Does anyone have the same problem as I'd like to know how widespread it is? You need to have a clean surface and get up really close to see it. Has anyone ever tried to get it addressed under warranty?

gallery_11798_641_11166.jpg

gallery_11798_641_23582.jpg

i think you will find mass production vehicles will have orange peel. I think it is due to the paint going on too wet or something like that. If you go for a walk around any dealership whether it be japanese, german etc. all cars will have orange peel.

i think you will find mass production vehicles will have orange peel. I think it is due to the paint going on too wet or something like that. If you go for a walk around any dealership whether it be japanese, german etc. all cars will have orange peel.

Couldn't agree more. Some cars just have more than others (and some just happen to be perfect). It's not like each car is sprayed by hand.

Im not sure but i think the orange peel should dissappear over time due to washing/waxing and general wear and tear..

Quite possible depending on the seriousness of it and how you wash it/polish it. Otherwise it goes something like this:

How to remove orange peel (with lots of pictures)

Im not sure but i think the orange peel should dissappear over time due to washing/waxing and general wear and tear..

[/quot)

HI, Orange peel, is usually caused by the paint , type and consistency and applied pressure can play a part. ie: stove enamel (baked at about 250 degrees Fahrenheit) as applied to virtually all white goods in past years could not be practically applied without orange peel. There is some merit in stating that orange peel is a shield against minor defects, we are all victims of affordable price so compromise has to be tolerated. However am I right in saying orange peel seems a lot more prevalent on the lower parts of the car ie: bellow the waste line where it is not normally noticed. The new low bake paints appear to be able to be applied with very little to no orange peel.

Yes I've noticed orange peel on my Graphite Kluger.

As suggested, I think all mass produced cars have it, just some makes and colours are more noticeable. As for removing it - seems like a lot of effort for little gain?

If you take it up with Toyota I suspect you will be laughed at...

I checked today when I washed my car and there is some slight OP if you look on an angle up close - but it is not apparent unless you look real hard for it.

Response from the dealer was as expected. The finish is due to Toyota's current process and it will be present to some degree on all vehicles, an can be advantageous as it hides scratches better. Compared it against other cars in the lot, some of which were a lot worse. Also as my car is silver it is not as noticeable when compared to black or merlot. They do not consider it a defect in my case. However, they did say if I owned a black or merlot vehicle with orange peel that was noticeable then they may consider doing something about it, but it is on a case-by-case basis.

Guess I'll just have to give up my dreams for a mirror like finish.

Edited by Kesawi