AE82 Twincam

jaderd

Today Andy came over and i got to see his car in the flesh for the first time....great ride we installed roof racks on it to add to the 80's classic look........so much chrome you will go blind now.

On my car i put new thermostat and coolant in, then did the coke bottle method to ensure all bubbles out etc, after 30mins atleast the engine was getting hot but still no thermostat open and therefore no fan....it seemed though it should so to be safe took it out again, chucked it on the stove top and it openend so owe knew it was all good, put back in sealed (had managed to keep the radiator full of water/coolant) topped up with coolant and after leaving it for a fair while again it finally got up to temp and its all fine............atleast i know this car will not overheat easily i dont think. Just used a normal 82 degree thermostat.

Was going to do headers but ofcourse stock manifold has exhaust sensor in it so will have to get it done properly at exhaust shop Andy got me onto with sportivo so seeing i now have Intake (K&N panel) Headers i might as well do entire exhaust soon, basically once sportivo sold or earlier.

Made a new parcel shelf out of 19mm form ply left over from making dog kennels and i also need to make a new base for the boot as the old thin board is almost non existent.

Grabbed out spare and chucked it on for road worthy (its 175/65, rest are 185/60) should be fine for road worthy now as everything is done

Will book car in for ASAP and should be on the road very soon

:)

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good work mate , having owned two 400k plus AE82's i can tell you they last forever if you keep them in good order! can't wait to check her out on the 30th!

On my car i put new thermostat and coolant in, then did the coke bottle method to ensure all bubbles out etc, after 30mins atleast the engine was getting hot but still no thermostat open and therefore no fan....it seemed though it should so to be safe took it out again, chucked it on the stove top and it openend so owe knew it was all good, put back in sealed (had managed to keep the radiator full of water/coolant) topped up with coolant and after leaving it for a fair while again it finally got up to temp and its all fine............atleast i know this car will not overheat easily i dont think. Just used a normal 82 degree thermostat.

Why do you think the thermostat isn't opening in the car? I'd be more inclined to think that either the temp switch or the wiring to the fan isn't working, because a car will get hot enough to open the thermostat _easily_, and if it doesn't open then the car will overheat very quickly (as there is NO cooling being performed).

Take the temp switch out and do the same stove-top trick with the thermometer as you do with the thermostat, and check that you get switching (either +12V going to ground or vice versa) at the right temperature

Old school Corolla's last ages. When I first got my Toyota Corolla SX, I did a 1000 round trip to South Australia and back with rooted valve stem seals.

Anyway, Japerd if your after a muffler then I've got a Hi-Tech twin 2.5inch tip if you want. Doesn't fit my car as the outlet is on the wrong side.

Why do you think the thermostat isn't opening in the car? I'd be more inclined to think that either the temp switch or the wiring to the fan isn't working, because a car will get hot enough to open the thermostat _easily_, and if it doesn't open then the car will overheat very quickly (as there is NO cooling being performed).

Take the temp switch out and do the same stove-top trick with the thermometer as you do with the thermostat, and check that you get switching (either +12V going to ground or vice versa) at the right temperature

nah its all fine as the wiring to the fan is deliberately set from factory so that if the switch is buggered the fan stays on as a safety measure, we disconneceted the fan and it came on straight away etc. All it was is that the car was not getting hot, bottom of radiator was cold, bottom pipe from thermostat to radiator was cold and top left (drivers side) radiator pipe had no pressure in it (not circulating) then once temp guage in dash did start to rise a bit all pipes were hot and pressurised (circulating) then about 30 seconds later the fan kicked in as the temp of water going past sensor was hot enough (guessing its same setting as thermostat or a little hotter -85-90 degrees ?) so it does all work perfect just that they take a while to get hot. After that we drove it around my estate for a while and it stayed at about one third temperature which is good as prior to this it only managed to just make the C unless i stopped in traffic

Thermostat we took out was stuck on open as suspected.

Also the second time around the coke bottle method worked perfect and for afew seconds the car revved up to around 2k (air lock) then bubble passed and it dropped to nice low idle around 600rpm or so. I think also now the wax pellet thing that senses when hot / cold for idle is working properly as it was idling a little high and it makes sense as engine was running very cold as radiator always open, therefore not melting pellet and not allowing it to idle properly

.....im slowly understanding things now lol.

So happy how it is.

DORIFTO - ill let you know....i want a fair quiet exhaust with just a bit of sound and zero droan, also thinking single tip dump ...not a big one though. will see though i may hit you up for it

Edited by jaderd

yeah should be the goods.....just redrew all the money off my car loan ...lol that should cover tyres, rego and AC being fixed, makes it easier now so when i sell the sportivo its easier to pay out the loan

yeah trying not to rush things....although i want to go flat out and get everything done etc....i know if i do i will stuff something up ;)

So if i do bonnet rust and 1/4 panel rust tonght and tomorrow night and tyres tomorrow lunchtime then she should be all good for rego wed which i can handle :)

The bonnet rust not sure if i can pull off the rubber or just flex it back while cleaning i will have to suss out, i can always do it with the rubber strip on car enough to pass roadworthy, basically spray some paint on and do a proper job of rubbing back whole bit above windscreen on weekend, ill see how it is when i look at it when i get home and assess whether to go full fix now, or layer of paint to cover for roadworthyness, tyres tomoz and maybe rego tomoz night then

Spent yesterday evening repairing the:

• Rust on roof above windscreen & both window edges that meet the bonnet (no rust on edges just painted them as afew scratches)
  • crack in paint / rust where paint missing next to left parker light assemble
  • rust in front left 1/4 pane (and removed approx 1.5kg of dirt from behind panel lol
  • afew little spots on drivers door that was missing paint

It all turned out ok, the strip i did above the windscreen is about 7-10 cm wide and looks alot brighter than rest of roof, had to do it this wide in order to be able to do a decent sand back of area etc, once i clean and cut/polish entire car it should not be as noticeable.

rust in 1/4 panel i rubbed right back, then stabbed the screwdriver through the few little holes to ensure cleaned it right out, rust converter, then filled it with the stuff i bought from autobarn the other day, rubbed back till i was happy with it and painted it. Came out quite well, im no professional with this sort of thing, basically wanted it done for roadworthy and does make it look alot better. Best part was removing the (with no exaggeration) 1-1.5kg of dirt and much that was between the body of car and 1/4 panel.....will do the same to the right hand side one night this week just for piece of mind knowing that it will drain properly from now on, drivers side has no rust.

So today she gets tyres on and in 25 mins ill ring and book in for the earliest appt available at vic roads :) so should def be on road by weekend at very latest i think

will post up pics tonight

Cheers guys

Edited by jaderd

yeah ringing them in a tick....cant believe the amount of crud behind the panel.....enough to repot a small camelia i reckon lol

So today and have rang vic roads, the soonest appointment is Monday so have booked it for 3.35pm in bundoora. Bit annoying wait but means i can just keep doing stuff to it and make sure its spotless prior to appt, will degrease the engine aswell as have vacant block next to my house and can do it there.

Edited by jaderd

yeah ill post some when i get home tonight, its basically done now re. road worthy, all i have to do is get new wiper blades (even though these seem perfect, Road worthy guy said we have to pick something as its 22 years old but everything was fine so we said blades as an extra) clean of car in and out and degrease some oil that is around from before the dizzy go reco'd

Hi All,

Pics from last night when did the rust and some painting and fixed a few chips etc

came out ok, can def see on roof where i painted the first 7-10cm, i think it will blend better once i cut and polish whole car etc.

The rust in 1/4 panel came out ok, im not an expert on any rust repair so i am fair happy at result, its not 100% flat etc but worked ok.

Also made new parcel shelf as old one ***** and cracked....

Bought wiper replacement, not just the blade as whole mechanism had too much play.

And new tyres are on with a wheel alignment to boot :)

enjoy

P1020846.jpg

P1020849.jpg

P1020852.jpg

P1020855.jpg

P1020860.jpg

P1020861.jpg

P1020870.jpg

P1020867.jpg

P1020868.jpg

P1020869-1.jpg

do you have your old one ? just grab a mate with one and trace it onto butchers paper then onto your craft wood when you get some, just need the orig bracket to screw onto the back so the little round bits clip into the back.....could always fabricate something up if you dont have orig cross bar

Niceee. Old school. Some of these old classics go hard for a long time, just need to fix a few little things here and there. Much more appreciation for it at the end of the day too i guess. I would love to get and old ae86 and make it my home project. I just dont have the space. Good work and good luck

Looks like gunshot in the panel there.

Must have been a getaway car at some stage in its life :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P :P

Other than that, I must say. Looks good mate. Mint! Love the work you did around the windshield getting rid of rush and all ...........

:D :D