A bit of fickle with the ABS

Jaaassseeee

Hi guys,

My dear old lady recently bought a brand new toyota aurion touring series SE automatic, and it seems to be a lovely car with more than enough power for the mother who is ending closer to 60 to kick out of.

Well anyway, I've taken it for a drive a few times and have noticed this clicking sound. Let me elaborate...

This only happens on cold starts. When I reverse out of my drive way I straighten up when I get on the road, shift it to drive and drive off like nomal. accelerating only slightly as the car is still warming up.

EVERY time after driving forward for about 5 seconds, there is quite a sharp 'click' (which almost sounds like central locking your car) that happens. I wasn't so sure what it was, and I thought there might be something wrong with the brake pads settling in a new car.

I took it back to Toyota and brought the issue up, left it there over night for the 1000km service, and they said it's the ABS activating. Is this true? I have no knowledge on how the ABS unit works, but from my previous 2 cars which have had ABS, I've never encountered such a problem.

Sorry for the lack of detail and explanation, but I'm at work right now. If you guys need me to clarify anything please let me know, and I'd value any responses.

Cheers,

Jase

Just re-quoting for future reference if anybody comes across this thread. Don't mind me:

Are you referring to the sound you get when you take off for the first time after starting your car, and it does not occur afterwards when you get your car rolling?

If so, this is to do with the ABS. Every time you start your engine and then drive off the ABS performs a self-check. The service manual best describes this:

When the vehicle speed first becomes approximately 4 mph (6 km/h) or more after the ignition switch is turned on (IG), each solenoid valve and motor of the brake actuator is sequentially activated to perform an electrical check. During the initial check, the operating sound of solenoid valve and motor can be heard from the engine compartment, but this is not a malfunction.