Auto Headlamps

Adamsy

Along with many other Aurion owners i've spke too i find the auto headlamps don't come on soon enough as in it has to be darker than you would think and like before they will come on. Does anybody know if this can be adjusted? I asked my service manager today but he said he wasnt sure as theyve never had to play around with head lamps on current ACV/GSV40 series cars.

As far as I'm aware (which means I haven't asked myself), the Aurion should have adjustment within the ECU. I know for a fact the Klugers can be adjusted with the same parameters, so I would imagine the Aurion would be the same. Using the US Gen 6 Camry service manual as a guide, you will find the following customisation parameters:

illuminationnm2.jpg

To do this, Toyota needs to connect their Intelligent Tester to your Aurion.

the sensor is on the dash, I have thought about somehow sticking some sort of window tint over it and trying to trick it into thinking its darker than it actually is therefore turning the lights on

I just been to lazy to try it yet lol may work may not

Oh Good stuff, champion! Thought this was possible or atleast i was hoping so lol. I will print this off and show the service department, get them to have a crack at it see how that goes. So do other people find the auto system a little redundant and slow to catch on?

the sensor is on the dash, I have thought about somehow sticking some sort of window tint over it and trying to trick it into thinking its darker than it actually is therefore turning the lights on

I just been to lazy to try it yet lol may work may not

Now that's what I call creativity. I definitely give you a thumbs up for your thinking.

What ever happened to switching the lights on yourself ? :blink:

Or "rain detecting" wipers .... errrr .... it starts raining , windscreen gets covered in raindrops , visibility is poor ... geeee I think I might switch on my wipers on now.

Are we paying for things that we don't really need ? ..... just a thought.

ive driven a few cars with auto headlights and auto wipers... and from my experiance, they are both completely useless!!

they never work the way that you expect them to work...

two of the cars i'm talking about are mercedes... and you'd think they'd get it right out of all the car manufacturers...

Are we paying for things that we don't really need ? ..... just a thought.

By the same consideration, do we really need smart entry (or hell, even keyless entry!), Sportivo bodykits, shiny rims, superchargers, and so on and so forth? Probably not.

But do we want them? Yes. Most of these things are of little benefit to most ordinary drivers. But we want/pay for them nevertheless. Why? Because they are freakin cool.

(And because its cool to stick it to one-eyed Commodore meatheads who can't accept that the only feature they have up on us is power to the rear wheels).

One parameter I'd like to adjust is the turn-on delay, as on my usual route to and from work I pass under a couple of underpasses. By the time I'm half way under the lights turn on, only to have them turn off a second later. Increasing the delay from the "It's dark enough" threshold to turn-on (assuming some averaging/hysteresis in the logic) has been met ever so slightly would correct this annoyance.

By the same consideration, do we really need smart entry (or hell, even keyless entry!), Sportivo bodykits, shiny rims, superchargers, and so on and so forth? Probably not.

But do we want them? Yes. Most of these things are of little benefit to most ordinary drivers. But we want/pay for them nevertheless. Why? Because they are freakin cool.

(And because its cool to stick it to one-eyed Commodore meatheads who can't accept that the only feature they have up on us is power to the rear wheels).

Fair enough.

I guess I'm with Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) in that I don't like a car to do all the thinking for me.

Although I do prefer to drive an auto.

it amazes me that these thing can't be changed from the dashboard. a mate at work can change those things in the computer from the dashboard on his commodore.

what amazes me is that my 2008 model car has no way of connecting a mp3 player device to the factory GPS nav unit i got. i know some guys have upgraded their HU to suit, but after spending $45K on a car, it'd be nice to connect my ipod, and not have to go back to listening to cd's, not in this day and age! i tried the fm transmitter, but the clarity was shockingly poor :(

http://www.advancedice.com.au

awesome products...

i use the fm transmitter they sell which is connected directly to the antennae on the car...

sound quality isnt the same as an AUX plug, but its just as good as any radio station...

they have a fully integrated system for the toyota satnav unit which brings up the song names and you can access the songs via your HU too...

but its about 5-600 compared to about 200 for the fm one...

but i do agree with you... i was even more ****** as i spent 60k on my TRD and it didnt come with a lot of basic sh!t that i expected cars of that price range would have...

Fair enough.

I guess I'm with Jeremy Clarkson (Top Gear) in that I don't like a car to do all the thinking for me.

Although I do prefer to drive an auto.

I guess I do agree on that point, yeah. Personally I don't like my car doing ALL my thinking for me all the time either. Once you get used to it, it creates opportunities for error when you get in a car without the features. The Aurion has a good setup with some of its intelligent features though. You have the option of using your lights as normal or flicking it to auto and letting it take care of it for you. I assume the wipers in the Presara and facelift ZR woudl be the same? I personally pefer to drive a manual though. Had the Aurion not had a manual mode I would never have bought it. So imagine my disappointment the first time I took it up a big hill in so called 'sports mode' and it changed down gears itself before I had a chance to. (But thats a rant for another thread.)

On topic of Adamsy's original post, though, the auto lights system is kinda redundant, and I generally find it to be a pain in the ***** more than anything. They don't come on until much darker than what I feel is appropriate, they come on when I'm coming in or out of my garage, and worst of all, the come on whenever I drive under an overpass or even in areas where some trees are casting shadows!

Edited by Paradigm