Polish & waxing new car

foley

Hi all

Washed the new car last week and decided to polish and wax using Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish TWO STEP SYSTEM and Deep Crystal Wax TWO STEP SYSTEM.

I had these in the garage and had used them in the past on one of my old cars and liked the result.

Being a new car the paint looked (as one would expect) in excellent condition so I did not clay the car or anything like that. I only polished and waxed the front of the car (ie bonnet, bumper and side panels).

I was happy with the result and was carefull not to create any swirl marks etc.

Planning on washing the car again tomorrow :) and was going to polish/wax the rest of it.

Just want to check was I ok in not "claying' the car the first time, as I wasn't planning on doing it tomorrow?

Also once the car is washed should I reapply wax to the front section again, (I suspect I don't need to polish that section again)?

Tried searching but could

Cheers

Foley

Just want to check was I ok in not "claying' the car the first time, as I wasn't planning on doing it tomorrow?

Depends on how long the car was on the yard before you got it as to how much crap will be on the paint...run your hand over the paint when it is clean and cool and you will feel if there are any deposits in the paint.

KG

Claying a new car defeats it's purpose. But definatly a good idea to maintain the body work from day one...

not in all cases... when my car was brand spankers, i clayed it within 1 week and it had a lot of crud on it from the dealership... since then i have only had to clay it once every 2-3 months. (daily driver, OCD owner)

if the car is new, i would probably spend a bit of time and effort in making the paint flawless and then just work on maintaining the finish from then on.

1. wash

2. clay

3. paint cleaner (swirlx or DC1)

4. NXT 2.0

and then your pretty much set from there...

:)

• 4 weeks later...

instead of creating a new thread...

as some of you Qld-ers would know i just got my car back from the workshop since it was hammered by a impreza bitcach in 2009...

i found there is a couple of clear coat oversprays where it shows up like a 'drop' in the driver side door...

anyone here could enlighten me to what grade of cutting compond should i be using to smooth it back...?

instead of creating a new thread...

as some of you Qld-ers would know i just got my car back from the workshop since it was hammered by a impreza bitcach in 2009...

i found there is a couple of clear coat oversprays where it shows up like a 'drop' in the driver side door...

anyone here could enlighten me to what grade of cutting compond should i be using to smooth it back...?

depending how bad it is (pictures would help)... and are you working by hand, DA, or rotary buffer?

maybe try something like meguiars ultimate compound?

Claying a new car defeats it's purpose. But definatly a good idea to maintain the body work from day one...

I have seen Brand NEW toyotas sitting on the docks for months before trucked off to dealers

plus you then have stock sitting in the yard awaiting a buyer usually as well