CAI's and Air Bypass filters

Hey guys...

I've done a bit of researching, and found something for all car's with a CAI installed, basically eliminating water getting into the engine though the main filter sucking up large amounts of water, by diverting the airflow "Aparrently" to something called an Air Bypass filter.

But focusing on the ZZE122-123 series' Is it really necessary for on road/track use?

They seem to have big brands, like HKS and AEM making them, unless they're fakes. But I would like opinions on this, I personally don't think they'd really be that good...

I'd really appreciate any feedback or opinions left!

Thanks!

If i understand what your asking correctly the product you speak of is supposed to stop water from getting to your air filter when you have a CAI installed? ive ran a few systems on cars of mine and friends and never ever had any issues what so ever... most of them were on 4AG engines and i specifically remember pulling one down after 12 months and there was a small ammount of water left in the lower end of the piping where it sat on an angle but thats about all. I hope ive actually addressed part of your question...

I don't get all this paranoia about sucking water up the intake.

For this to happen the pod has to be fully submerged for there to be any suction.

So unless you're silly enough to drive into a lake or something your not going to hydro lock your engine.

BTW the AEM airr bypass valve requires that you have a 2 piece CAI. So they don't work with the TRD ones.

For this to happen the pod has to be fully submerged for there to be any suction.

So unless you're silly enough to drive into a lake or something your not going to hydro lock your engine.

BTW the AEM airr bypass valve requires that you have a 2 piece CAI. So they don't work with the TRD ones.

Yes, but I've "Just" installed the CAI, I know K&N filters are pretty good. but I'm just being slightly cautious...

It's not as if I drove my Veyron into a lake at 225+ Km/h and expected it not to die or sound like an outboard motor ;)

And as far as 2 peice CAI intake... That's what a Grinder is for :D

If i understand what your asking correctly the product you speak of is supposed to stop water from getting to your air filter when you have a CAI installed? ive ran a few systems on cars of mine and friends and never ever had any issues what so ever... most of them were on 4AG engines and i specifically remember pulling one down after 12 months and there was a small ammount of water left in the lower end of the piping where it sat on an angle but thats about all. I hope ive actually addressed part of your question...

Thanks! Actually that's clarified alot... just as long as I keep out of lakes, I should be fine B)

is that why the new injen cai's are two piece?

also found this:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...mp;#entry203744

I don't know... Chances are, they might be... It may also have to do with the installation difficulties... You do have to remove the battery and wiggle (difficultly) it into it's proper position. (that's what I've found the 2 times I've installed my CAI Pipe)

Ah, interesting... I already have the K&N equivalent... It looks almost identical, just its black... So it's basically it's a breathable raincoat for a pod?

Edited by Squall0011

For this to happen the pod has to be fully submerged for there to be any suction.... OR if you don't have the splash guard installed :o

i was on parra rd and in the left lane and before i know it i hit a massive puddle and my car ran like it did on cold start up, i was worried i sucked water into my engine.. stopped at the lights, was there for a minute, drove off and she was sweet.... dunno if it was coincidence or what with water but meh

For this to happen the pod has to be fully submerged for there to be any suction.... OR if you don't have the splash guard installed :o

It would be idiotic to install your CAI without the splash guard installed...

It's just a small worry, Maybe due to the fact an engine for the ZZE122-123 series, (1ZZ-FE) cost something around the $5000 mark... That's cash I don't have... I knew it was going to be fine without the air bypass valve, just as long as I don't drive it into a river or lake.

I just wanted to see what other peoples thoughts were on it... :)

Despite what others think (that you need to completely submerge the filter to suck up water) there is always the chance that you can be unlucky enough to suck in water from a rather large puddle. When driving down a road in heavy rain if visibility is bad, accidentally running through a a large puddle of water that manages to splash enough water to your intake to soak it can lead to issues. Of course the chances of these aren't really high... especially if you have a decent splash guard, but the possibility is still there.

It doesn't take much water to blow your engine.

i was on parra rd and in the left lane and before i know it i hit a massive puddle and my car ran like it did on cold start up, i was worried i sucked water into my engine.. stopped at the lights, was there for a minute, drove off and she was sweet.... dunno if it was coincidence or what with water but meh

If you sucked water into your engine... you'd definitely know about it.

Despite what others think (that you need to completely submerge the filter to suck up water) there is always the chance that you can be unlucky enough to suck in water from a rather large puddle. When driving down a road in heavy rain if visibility is bad, accidentally running through a a large puddle of water that manages to splash enough water to your intake to soak it can lead to issues. Of course the chances of these aren't really high... especially if you have a decent splash guard, but the possibility is still there.

It doesn't take much water to blow your engine.

I don't know if you have seen where my pod filter sits, but it's sitting above a splash guard about fifteen cm off the ground. I have ran through many puddles (accidentally) up to around 10cm deep and never had a single problem. The way I see it is any splash is going to stop on the filter media, then get sucked through into the intake piping as fine spray - which is basically just water injection.

Contrary to popular belief, it takes a ****LOAD of water to do any damage to your engine. I have 3" piping about 60cm long, I would have to have the filter submerged for quite some time to allow the engine to fill the whole intake with water (if it only 1/4 fills then sucks in air, the air will rise through the water and break the hydro lock, so the water will just drain out of the filter).

It's just a small worry, Maybe due to the fact an engine for the ZZE122-123 series, (1ZZ-FE) cost something around the $5000 mark... That's cash I don't have... I knew it was going to be fine without the air bypass valve, just as long as I don't drive it into a river or lake.

I was referring to myself... :( i have to get a new splash guard :(

Evo

Evo

Oh, whoops! ^.^" Sorry about that... I guess just to be on the safe side, try to avoid driving in puddles, and heavy rain then. :)

Evo

Oh, whoops! ^.^" Sorry about that... I guess just to be on the safe side, try to avoid driving in puddles, and heavy rain then. :)

Nah, that's cool... i should be getting my new one today :D

Lucky for me, it didn't rain while i was driving yesterday and this morning :D

Evo

Levins never came with under plastics ;)

Also once driving through puddles/torrential rain clean and re-oil the filter as you'll find most of the oil will have been washed out.

Also once driving through puddles/torrential rain clean and re-oil the filter as you'll find most of the oil will have been washed out.

I didn't know that, and Thanks for the advice!

Btw nice Corolla B)

I think mine may be due for a clean as well... do we have to use the special K&N Cleaning kits to clean the pod filter?? or can i just take it off, and dip it into water :P

Evo

I think mine may be due for a clean as well... do we have to use the special K&N Cleaning kits to clean the pod filter?? or can i just take it off, and dip it into water :P

Evo

Eh, I'd personally recommend washing it, blow drying it with compressed air and letting it dry for a few hours, then after using the recommended K&N precharger oil, Re-oil your pod, then put it back on...

Long and annoying process. but Well worth it if you want to take care of your car :)

Eh, I'd personally recommend washing it, blow drying it with compressed air and letting it dry for a few hours, then after using the recommended K&N precharger oil, Re-oil your pod, then put it back on...

This is one thing K&N states you should not do. Just letting you know.

Hose it out from the inside, if its really dirty soaking it first might help. Grab a lil brush or toothbrush and scrub the crap off the outside while your using the hose.

One I got used with my Injen was filthy, took ages to clean. Nearly due for another clean.

This is one thing K&N states you should not do. Just letting you know.

Greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Hose it out from the inside, if its really dirty soaking it first might help. Grab a lil brush or toothbrush and scrub the crap off the outside while your using the hose.

One I got used with my Injen was filthy, took ages to clean. Nearly due for another clean.

I wouldn't be using a brush.

Just spray the filter with the cleaning solution; let it sit for 10 minutes; wash solution off of filter element from the engine side of the filter gentaly with water; let air dry over night; apply new oil and let sit for 10 minutes; check to make sure you got it all; then put back in car. Not really long or annoying as there is only about 10 minutes of actual work being done.