catelitic converter upgrade & PCM

peregrine

Whats a PCM? Probably just called something different in the States here.

Hi The PCM is the Powertrain Control Module, as stated in the Haynes Repair Manual for Toyota Camry 1997 thru 2001 etc an American Publication which has unfortunately superseded our local publications. Its the computer that regulates engine management, EG ignition timing, fuel rate etc etc. Otherwise referred to as EEC, ECU etc with other makes, and referred to as (ECM) Electronic Control Module on earlier model Camry's.

Edited by peregrine

OH!!!! Ok, the ECU. Yeah, the Engine Computer.

I doubt those will net you any mpg. I get better mileage from my SuperCharged V6 Cmary then it was rated from the factory. There isn't too to omuch you can do to up the mileage. But here are stupid simple things people often forget.

1: Tire Pressure

2: Spark Plugs and wires

3: Weight (luggage and such)

4: Aerodynamics (body kits will lower your mileage)

5: Getting lightweight alloy wheels can help

6: Clean the MAF with a special MAF or Electronics Parts Cleaner (non-clorinated).

7: Clean all the carbon off of the throttle body, and if you can, clean the intake plenum too.

Whats your current gas mileage?

OH!!!! Ok, the ECU. Yeah, the Engine Computer.

Whats your current gas mileage?

Hi ASG14 thanks for your response. On a trip of approx 750 kilometers I averaged 9.4 ltrs per 100 Kms with air con on all the way. Which translates to 30 MPG (imperial gallons) Average speed approx 100KPH (62.5MPH)

Hmmmm.....Thats 25mpg US. Thats not all that good actually.

My last LONG trip was to Canada. I got about 30.7 miles per gallon (US) equals 7.66 liters/100 km averaging around 115kph. It WAS mostly a flat drive, not many hills. Hills WILL make a massive difference though. If I were to do that drive another way, with hills, it may take off 4mpg from my fuel economy.

Just look into normal maintmence like cleanign the throttle body, spark plugs, etc. Cheap stuff, and see if that halps.

i now get ~9lt/100km on the highway with my 5S... :(

Really? Ouch. I think I was getting that when I first got mine. Then again, at that stage it had four different tyres and was completely out of alignment.

4 new tyres + alignment and now I get around 7-7.5 L / 100 km. I'm probably an average / slightly spirited driver who drives mostly during non-peak times.

^ If done right, you don't sacrifice anything. :-P

Like I said, 7.66 liters/100 km putting down 224whp, lol. 14.5s 1/4 mile. :-D

Granted, none of my friends can understand how the hell U pull off that mileage, and I;m stumped myself honestly.....

I LOVE Bush Mechanics!

Who woulda thought you could use Mission Grass to fix a flat tyre? How about cutting the roof off and towing it upside down as a trailor to carry your music equipement to that next gig in Mulla Mulla Land? lol man that show was awesome.