Scary...

czaja74

I had a scare today. I was driving on the freeway. Peacefull quied ride... Then just before I took an exit the steering wheel started to shake so badly that I had a trouble holding it. Afterabout 200m I stopped at the traffic lights. Slowly took off and drove at 70km/h right to the dealer. He said that he never heard about the issue and that it was possible something got caught in the shaft. However I dont remember seeing anything on the road. This was a 1st time it happened but was really bad. I had a trouble holding the steering wheel. I didnt notice any noises related to the intermediate shaft. I do have problem with car pulling to the right and steering wheel being slightly off centre (to the left) while driving. I thought it might be a wheel aligment issue and will have that corrected on Tuesday while getting new tyres.

Any Ideas what could cause suh a sudden shakes?

I would assume you have driven this road many times before so you would know if there were any irregularities in it? I've never really had a case like that come out of nowhere, but I have had it happen due to road conditions. I don't know how to explain it, but I think it is a minor dip made in the road by trucks and other heavy vehicles. When one of your front tires manage to make it's way into this dip/channel, it tends to pull your steering all sorts of ways.

That's about all I've experienced that could be close to that issue that has no obvious signs. Other things like audible lines etc can cause some vibration but these are pretty obvious if you drive on it.

After that, I'd pretty much be just thinking of random things that can happen but are like a 1-in-a-million type of thing. Things like an object on the road getting stuck to one of your front wheels (or flung to the inside of the wheel) putting it badly out of balance until it got forced off or something like that.

Yes I know the road quite well. The thing that worried me was it last about 15-20 sec non stop. Also it wasnt wibration. the whole steerin whell was rattling.

The good thing is that the dealer said that they will be happy to have a look on Tuesday.

Edited by czaja74

I actually had something exactly like this happen in my last car, a 97 Commodore sedan, whilst on the freeway. The steering wheel started shaking so bad I thought the front wheels were going to fall over, and it happened quite suddenly too. My response was also the same as yours.

Over the next month I had every component of the front steering and suspension looked at, not to mention having the wheels balanced more times than I can count as well as several alignments. In the end, it never did happen again but the original source was never discovered, I've since been led to believe that yes it's just one of those rare fluke occasions where any number of factors combine to cause a temporary condition.

Recommend checking your bearings and steering rack - jack front wheels up, try moving the wheel back and forward from both the top/bottom (bearings) or from side/side (rack ends). There should be close to no movement at all, if so get the relevant part checked out and don't drive the vehicle. Otherwise, keep a close eye on it, if it's once off naturally it's unlikely it'll happen again

yES, HAVE HAD THIS HAPPEN AND BELEIVE IT OR NOT IT'S SUCH A SIMPLE PROBLEM.

AIR IN A POWER STEERING LINE !!!!

YOPU GET AN AIR BUBBLE AND THE WHOLE SYSTEM GOES HAYWIRE. YOU STOP FOR A WHILE AND IT GOES AND MAY NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN.

HAD IT ON THE WIFES OLD FAIRMONT !!!

Very good response there Deanja. I can't say I have seen or heard of such a thing occurring, but it does make perfectly good sense when you consider that the air compresses and can make the pump go a bit funny.