K&N SRI

SCOOTA44

Im having trouble finding an SRI for my car, found one in the states, but doesn't ship overseas,any suggestions ?

eBay mate. There are sellers there that ship to Australia. Just go to ebay.com.au and search 'Camry K&N intake' then on the search results page, scroll down and select all items from international sellers. This then shows those that offer shipping to Australia.

Im having trouble finding an SRI for my car, found one in the states, but doesn't ship overseas,any suggestions ?

eBay mate. There are sellers there that ship to Australia. Just go to ebay.com.au and search 'Camry K&N intake' then on the search results page, scroll down and select all items from international sellers. This then shows those that offer shipping to Australia.

thanks again daryl, was typing in wrong again.

Scoota:

Mate have you tried either Repco or Bursons auto spares down in Hobart? Both of these are Authorised K&N dealer now they aren’t likely to keep much stock of K&N products especially for the Aurion but they could get hold of them or otherwise like DJKOR mentioned EBay is the other place you could get them from. I asked out Bursons Rep to get me a price on the SRI but I’m on holiday’s atm so haven’t spoke to him for a while now.

Good luck.

... now they aren’t likely to keep much stock of K&N products especially for the Aurion but they could get hold of them...

Feel free to ask, but I am pretty sure they are going to charge a lot for it. I was quoted something like $140 (some time ago though) for the panel filter which you can get for just under AUD$90 landed.

Has anyone actually done a dyno test on the SRI to see if the 11hp is accurate or if there are any gains at all? I'd consider buying one, but for that price I'd like to see an increase in horsepower and not just a better sound.

Edited by legend_of_lazz

Scoota:

Mate have you tried either Repco or Bursons auto spares down in Hobart? Both of these are Authorised K&N dealer now they aren’t likely to keep much stock of K&N products especially for the Aurion but they could get hold of them or otherwise like DJKOR mentioned EBay is the other place you could get them from. I asked out Bursons Rep to get me a price on the SRI but I’m on holiday’s atm so haven’t spoke to him for a while now.

Good luck.

thanks also adam I will get a price through them as well, but if its cheaper from the states, thats where i'll get it.

Edited by scootastaxisx6

Has anyone actually done a dyno test on the SRI to see if the 11hp is accurate or if there are any gains at all? I'd consider buying one, but for that price I'd like to see an increase in horsepower and not just a better sound.

if you go to "my latest aurion mods" MKAY did a run on thy dyno.

if you go to "my latest aurion mods" MKAY did a run on thy dyno.

I think you will find that his gains were complemented by the y-pipe modification.

Rowan had a custom made SRI which is in the same form as the K&N and did not get a gain near 11HP. His gain would have more been about 5HP, but he also had removed his resonator and changed his rear mufflers.

I personally think that on it's own, the SRI will provide no gain.

I think you will find that his gains were complemented by the y-pipe modification.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Rowan had a custom made SRI which is in the same form as the K&N and did not get a gain near 11HP. His gain would have more been about 5HP, but he also had removed his resonator and changed his rear mufflers.

I personally think that on it's own, the SRI will provide no gain.

Okay well I guess I won't bother with the SRI then.

Okay well I guess I won't bother with the SRI then.

Just because you may got no gain from the SRI alone, doesn't mean you should drop the idea.

Firstly, it sounds great... that would be enough to convince me. Secondly, you can always get the SRI, then later down the track, modify the exhaust to get the gains (if any).

If you don't want to spend the high amount for the K&N, get an exhaust shop to make you one. They should be able to save you at least half.

Yeah I understand what you mean, but I'm not a big fan of noise (although Darius sounded amazing with the Varex) and I'm not too keen on modding things that can't easily be changed to stock to sell the car when the time comes. Could the SRI cause any loss in power at all?

Yeah I understand what you mean, but I'm not a big fan of noise...

Depending on your personality, I'm sure this opinion will change easily once you hear how sweet it sounds.

... and I'm not too keen on modding things that can't easily be changed to stock to sell the car when the time comes.

I reckon as long as you keep your stock intake bits, you could remove the SRI and fit the stock intake in under 10 minutes.

Could the SRI cause any loss in power at all?

I'm not 100% on the SRI/CAI subject, but I think I've hear things like an SRI can give you top end gains, but you can lose low end torque. Like I said, things like this are based on my shoddy memory so someone with more information on the subject should comment here.

Yeah I understand what you mean, but I'm not a big fan of noise...

Depending on your personality, I'm sure this opinion will change easily once you hear how sweet it sounds.

... and I'm not too keen on modding things that can't easily be changed to stock to sell the car when the time comes.

I reckon as long as you keep your stock intake bits, you could remove the SRI and fit the stock intake in under 10 minutes.

Could the SRI cause any loss in power at all?

I'm not 100% on the SRI/CAI subject, but I think I've hear things like an SRI can give you top end gains, but you can lose low end torque. Like I said, things like this are based on my shoddy memory so someone with more information on the subject should comment here.

I have been experimenting with my own sri, and using different length of pipe, different pod filters. and I have found problems with torque ( no bottom end torque if too long) and no take off and top end if too short.even had probs with the trans, sloppy gear changes, holding in 3rd up hill.as of tonight ( yes been fiddleling again ) I put the first stock resonator back on and a short pipe ( with the maf ) and the pod. not as noisy but evens out the torque range and the trans went back to a normal mode. I have had the ecu update. even though this is good I think the K&N would be better because it was designed for the aurion. hope this helps.

Scoota:

Good luck.

thanks adam. saw repco in hobart, they had it on file but no price. and K&N were not going to be back till 11th jan so I will get back to them then.

• 2 years later...

Hey guy's, Just read this thread as like you, Josh, I'm looking at importing one from the states in a month or so. From other people's posts it sounds like very little gain to be had just by installing sri. I'm planning on installing headers, high flow cat's and deleting some muffler's in the future (when the hip pocket and wife permit) so maybe the sri will make more of a difference when coupled with the exhaust mods. Tom, where in QLD are you? I'm in Bundaberg. Maybe we could share some shipping charges if you're interested.

I'm more after the grunty intake noise more than anything, atleast this solution has everything covered in terms of vac lines etc. Either way itl be going back on the dyno to see what gain (if any at all) there is after its been run in on a couple of tanks of fuel.

Where are you planning to source your headers? AFAIK there are none around ready to bolt up, custom fabbed is the only way. (I could be wrong now but i havnt even seen anything, even from America)

Yeah, kinda having trouble finding off the shelf headers myself. The exhaust mods are a "when I can" project for now. Haven't actually looked that hard just yet. Depending on $, custom fab might not be out of the question. By the time I do headers, cats, "Y" piece and mufflers I might as well bite the bullet and get a complete exhaust sytem done(not gonna be much left but the pipe in the middle anyway). Might be interesting to see what a proper dual system would achieve.

AFAIK there are none around ready to bolt up, custom fabbed is the only way. (I could be wrong now but i havnt even seen anything, even from America)

Really?

Yeah, kinda having trouble finding off the shelf headers myself.

Really??

Kinda disappointing that noone has done this already. The car is nearly 6 years old!!

Really???

Extractors/Headers

MWR 2GR-FE parts

with the headers and a manual transmission everyone that has dyno'd their car gets between 200 and 220 Kw to the wheels or about 235 to 257 Kw at the crank (the E-153 we are using is well documented to have about a 17% power loss through it in 4th gear).

Not trying to invalidate the figures or cast doubt, but just mentioning this so that others don't get misled. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those power figures of 200kW + at the wheels was on a DynoJet or similar dyno right? I'm not going to argue the way it works, but I personally have seen figures from these dynos stated to be higher than what a Dyno Dynamics dyno would show.

For comparative purposes, since the Dyno Dynamics dyno is more common here in Australia, I think the best example of what figures to expect would be to look at Chris' Aurion (00UCH) which has these exact same headers:

00UCH what a Aurion!!!!

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003-1.jpg

I have seen the custom MR2 headers but didn't know that they had been fitted/could be to an Aurion/V6 Camry (or a similar style anyway if that's what they are) impressive gains though. Obviously would help he has a piggyback aswell.