COLD AIR INTAKE

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what I can remember, AEM gives better tourqe while TRD gives better HP.

agree w danz about aem..anyway

can you show me the figures please? or provide me the link to confirm your statement. ..interesting... to lazy to use search function...sorry folks...there'sa a lot of sh!tloads about CAI in the forum, it'l take me ages before i find the right ones.

I forgot where i grab that info, it was ages ago. Search on USA corolla's forum website, they do lots of testing in their corolla.

i don't want to get back into the discussion of which CAI does better...

obviously TRD has its gains or else they wouldn't have designed it the way they did. Although 9/10 chaps out there that has bought the TRD CAI they have replaced the Filter. In saying that noone can really say which one is better unless they have experienced otherwise.

i wish Dan Rucci would work on a 1zzfe instead of that rolla project his been working on for yrs. If nobody knows Dan Rucci, he owns www.modyourcar.com.au

Founder of Rollaboyz

anyway as for Flat. I believe i've been mis understood. I've driven a few cars now and most that have been 1.8L + i have experienced great 2nd gear response. I'm not saying the 1zzfe is shocking. i was merely pointing out my disappointment. My conquest is free from engine mods. my first engine mod you could say is going to be the CAI. The spot i was pointing out is actually when i'm engaged in second after Reving 1st out to 6000rpm i just don't get the pull i would like to feel... maybe its because i drive with me mates too often. out of the 10 cars we have in our circle mine is the only N/A car :(

take a pick at these

my99 subi x2

s14 x3

2000 pulsar sedan x1

mazda 323 protege x1

ae92 (3sgte con/ver) x1

civic 96 x1

and all turbo

as you can see mine is basically just a Rolla good for cruising. and if i wanna race i just hop in me mates cars.

Just go grab one then you will know what we all think about the CAI on Corolla. No point we keep on saying how we think, its time for you to try it. If that did not solves you flat spot, then you may need Turbo kit :)

but wat is the serious difference between the aem cai and trd cai? is it only the price?

They're designed a little different from one another. The AEM's placement of the pod is bent back slightly away from the fog light, the TRD goes straight down. Also the AEM has a more of a bend in it where it goes around the Battery, the TRD seems to also be a little straighter in that section too.

,May 24 2005, 08:58 PM]but wat is the serious difference between the aem cai and trd cai? is it only the price?

They're designed a little different from one another. The AEM's placement of the pod is bent back slightly away from the fog light, the TRD goes straight down. Also the AEM has a more of a bend in it where it goes around the Battery, the TRD seems to also be a little straighter in that section too.

The Simota one bends the pod slightly backwards like the AEM, but has a straighter pipe like the TRD, and it's probably less than half the price of either one.

danz -

CAI is coming Fri. i think flat spot is just how i feel the car. probably haven't driven many turbo cars. i prolly should stop driving turbo cars. who knows.

but yes i do agree with --rudes-- for half the price without the name sounds good to me. i guess testing would be the only way to find out which ones are really the best and what pod it suits.

so who's got the $$$ to do that?

i found that mine runs better with the TRD filter as compared to the K&N

yeah i am getting k&n swapped. i wasn't going to take simota. although people talk about blitz. i know they only have a short ram intake. i wonder how the blitz pod go..... but i'm not prepared to pay that much for a pod.

danz - u cleaned urs yet , the pod that is?

i'm guessing how u got it there its how u get to it to clean it... that's the only part i don't like. i know k&n states leave it for atleast 50,000k's before cleaning.

It rains a little more where i am than any place i'm just stressing if the pod filter will be alright where its placed.

you had any problems with water getting on/in the filter itself? or it doesn't really matter? since the filter is oily...

this is one topic i haven't read yet

Yeah I cleaned mine, and precautions needed not to over oiled. Just cleaned it whenever you think its dirty, or if u want, each 10000km/h service.

Got no problems with the CAI even on wet days. I think the filter being an oil type, it prevent the water to go in. So far so good.

Yeah I cleaned mine, and precautions needed not to over oiled. Just cleaned it whenever you think its dirty, or if u want, each 10000km/h service.

Got no problems with the CAI even on wet days. I think the filter being an oil type, it prevent the water to go in. So far so good.

cool, that's cleared me doubts about it. after CAI fit i'm goin on a 1000km drive :) for work. can play with it then.

as for cleaning it every 10,000 i suppose that's ok. i know bout not over oiling it.

i wonder if they'd charge me extra if i got the service boys to do it. as it is i'm not fitting it. i'd hate to go through geting the battery out everytime i have to clean it.

is there another way?

u don't have to take out the battery each time u clean it man

just get underneath ur car, remove the plastic cover and access the pod from there.

i can be a bitch... haha thanks for the tip.

although that is effort too....

danz if u got time check out rev-limiter post... i wanna know ur opinion on the post i did there.

to access the pod filter from under neath the car it requires 3 screws n 1 clip to be removed.....very simple really :)

to get the pod off...grab a flat head screw driver n just loosen the bolt on the bracket n just slowly pull the pod out :D

me n shao removed ours yesterday....tho a bit of swearing was invovled during mine :P

to access the pod filter from under neath the car it requires 3 screws n 1 clip to be removed.....very simple really  :)

to get the pod off...grab a flat head screw driver n just loosen the bolt on the bracket n just slowly pull the pod out  :D

me n shao removed ours yesterday....tho a bit of swearing was invovled during mine  :P

A pair of bent skinny nose pliers are invaluable for removing the fog light when trying to get the TRD filter out. (clamp the black plug with plyers then simply push the white plug with other hand....and she pops right out) You can get it out without removing the light...but you risk damaging the pod or light. best best is to remove the light and go from there :)

Edited by Danthuyer

nice thanks for the tips they are invaluable to me.

as for foggies i'm glad i don't have them in. i just didn't see spending $400 for something cosmetic and really doesn't help me with my driving ability if anything adds weight... for $400 u can get a cheap front bar :D

although i like the new facelifted stivos... :P

I don't think anyone has tryed it here. Does anyone know what the part # is for the Sportivo, I've tryed looking at the Injen website but it seems full of Honda crap (as you'd expect)

I don't think anyone has tryed it here. Does anyone know what the part # is for the Sportivo, I've tryed looking at the Injen website but it seems full of Honda crap (as you'd expect)

In my research I've found that they're mainly made for the US celica, matix, or anything with a 1ZZ-FE engine.

I've read up about them in some mags and I've heard good things about them.

Another thing, what's the US equivalent to the Australian corolla?

I dont want to buy a part that doesnt fit...

So is the US equivalent corolla model a:

A. Corolla S 1.8L

B. Matrix XR or XRS

My corolla having a 1ZZ-FE engine...

Found this pic on the Injen website. Does it look like a 1ZZ-FE engine to any of you guys?

Do you reckon it would still suit the ZZ122R engine bay?

post-542-1117175396_thumb.jpg

Edited by !*heatseca*!