About the smart key

glm

Hi guys, here is a silly question: After you started your car with push button start, what if you carry the smart key out of the detection range (i.e. >1m) away from the car, will the engine automatically shut itself? and if you do this will it damage your engine?

Cause sometimes you might need to quickly pick up something from outside and don't want to restart the engine within say 30 secs.

Thanks in advance guys!

Probably should have brought this up in the immobiliser thread below to keep it clean.

Anyways, if you go out of range while the engine is running, the engine will still continue to run and it will just keep chiming and showing the "KEY IS NOT DETECTED" message on the dash.

If the engine is stopped though using the Start/Stop button, it can not be started up again until the key is brought back in range as the immobiliser becomes active when the engine is stopped and the Smart Key is taken out of range of the car.

Thanks for the quick and accurate answer mate, really appreciate!

and how do i move this post into another post? sry i'm a bit new here >.< but i m happy to move it ^^

Nah, only a mod can, but for what it's worth, I wouldn't worry about it anymore. It's just good housekeeping to keep similar questions grouped for future searches.

Anyways, here are two scenarios. Note how the possible effects say 'Vehicle theft and Engine cannot be restarted'. This is because the engine will remain running in both scenarios:

smartentry1.jpg

smartentry2.jpg

It's a real shame it doesn't work the same way as other certain anti-theft features, like those in Queensland police vehicles - whereby removal of the key allows the engine to stay running, but moving the gear lever at all results in the engine shutting down

That would be pretty cool, but will that damage your engine?

Stopping the engine while the car is moving and in gear will not damage the engine, even less of an issue with an automatic because the torque converter basically loses its coupling between the wheels and engine. Of course however, it's not something that should be done just for the sake of proper operation. Point being is that it's not going to blow anything up if it does happen. Stopping the engine while in gear and the car is not moving however is pretty much negligible.

Main issue you will get though is that you will lose your power steering and your brakes will have limited usability. This is why it is dangerous for an immobiliser/anti-hijacking device to stop the engine while you are driving

and how do you add full size pictures in to reply? i tried but i can only add reduced version.

You need to host photos on a photo hosting site like ImageShack, Photobucket, TinyPic, ect and then you can get a link from there that lets you post full size.

I c, I've been wanting to try it out, but i was afraid that i could harm the engine, but knowing this it should be ok to do so, and it is quite convenient actually.

and i figured how to post full size img, just used your link, hope it's ok ^^

and also the link yay~~

Edited by glm

yeh i always run to collect mail from the PO Box and leave the engine running.

only thing is u cant arm the car while the engine is on. only way to lock it is to use the key.

also start the engine and let the aircon cool the car before getting in and driving off.

always wanted to try press the start stop button when driving the car... safest would be to do it in neutral... otherwise u wouldnt be able to start it? havent dared to tho.

in some cases where i've been driving another car and a mate is driving my car behind me, i've accidently jumped into the other car and driven off... so my mate driving my car drives behind me with the car beeping at him that the key is not detected... :lol:

still drives 100% normally though... just beeps constantly and drives you nuts... :lol: