JDM rear wiper conversion

I would like to know more about how to do the rear wiper JDM conversion on ZRE/Auris... I would like to change it's still-position from horizontal to vertical which is pretty easy to do. What I need help with is how to make the wiper to move in the opposite direction compared to how it's moving now...

Best regards, Alex

Yup, changing the wiper position is easy but unfortunately, getting the wiper to move in the opposite direction is a little bit tricky. You can simply reverse the polarity to the wiper motor, however doing so will mean that the electronics that are in place to allow the intermittent wiper function will not be able to operate. This can be fixed, but requires a bit of circuit work to perform.

My main goal is that the wiper would remain in working order. I found a link to one guy's homepage who was stated to have there an instruction on how to do the mod, but the link isn't working...

To keep the wiper in complete working order, you will need to modify the intermittent circuit. Otherwise if you reversed the polarities, you may only get low and high and that is it.

Now I know this is not the wiring diagram for the ZRE etc, but you would probably find that it would be something similar to this (this being the circuit on the Camry/Aurion). Basically you will just have to change the polarity of the diodes/transistors/capacitors (where necessary), make sure it's all isolated from the rest of the car just to be safe, and testing it to make sure it works fine.

wiperz.jpg

hopefully this guide can help:

http://www.evilution.co.uk/577

Hope there's something incommon between Smart and Toyota :lol: I will have to go out and make some investigation, but obviously it won't be happening too soon (-15 C at the moment and -20 C on weekend)...

Thanks for the link man! :)

It can be done with no need for wiring changes.

It involves removing the motor, undoing the case, mark the standard arm position (blue circle), careful not to move any of the gears, remove the arm and replace it 180 degrees to the other side of the crown wheel and re install (as pic shows). I have a link here somewhere, ill search high and low till i find it.

I cant remember the whole procedure but ill find it. Im planning on having a go within the next few weeks.

:)

Here tis:

p2.jpg

Edited by dutchie101

I hope that method works because all I can picture it doing is making the wiper operate further/less in the same direction.

Works ok, its a mod heaps of japs do. I got it from a jap auris site :)

They actually do it to reduce snow buildup on the wiper. The actuator now pulls instead of pushes, or the other way around.

changing your wiper is not JDM, it's RICE

whitestivo

I don't see it as "JDM" either, but I also don't see it as rice (and don't give me the old "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement" because that ain't what rice is). It is purely an aesthetic mod (as there is no problem with snow in Aus) and some people prefer the vertical alignment rather than horizontal.

changing your wiper is not JDM, it's RICE

whitestivo

I don't see it as "JDM" either, but I also don't see it as rice (and don't give me the old "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement" because that ain't what rice is). It is purely an aesthetic mod (as there is no problem with snow in Aus) and some people prefer the vertical alignment rather than horizontal.

True, it is a mod of preference - not performance!

But I think the intention of the author was to do the mod purely for it's JDM-ness.

Personally, I reckon it would give me the irits to see the wiper constantly in my rear view. Rally dust excuse noted.

It is for this reason that Australia is a free country - do whatever you like to your car!

Even though I personally don't think it's a mod I'd try, it's good to see someone getting in there and finding out how it's done.

That in itself is worthy of respect - even if you disagree with the end result.

Edited by IMB055

Silence is better than unmeaning words.

Pythagoras

Guys, thanks for all your help and comments. Dutchie, I will try the technique you adviced me to use. Thanks for that very much!

I am not doing the mod just to get some JDMness to my car, I just got an idea of the thing and started to search Google. Finally I found pictures with "vertical rear wiper" which was also named as "JDM wiper mod". I am not aiming to any certain style when I'm tuning my car - the only criteria is that I need to like it myself :)

Best regards, Alex