Do coilovers still scrub?

mikka

Hi there.

I'm looking to put some 20"s on my new acquisition and whilst I've read all the posts on scrubbing when going to 20"s I thought I would try to summarise the issues and get those in the know to check if I've got it right, I'm also aware of the wheel offset calculator but I just wanted to put it in words. Please bear in mind I am a deadset novice in the wheel and suspension department

So far as I can tell

1. Offset of > 45 with 20"s (8.5" wide or greater) will give you scrubbing on the inside of the wheel regardless of lowering

2. Offset of < 35 with 20"s (8.5" wide or greater) will potentially give you scrubbing on the outside guard when lowered

3. Lowering with springs (Kings or Pedders) with 20"s and a profile of >30 (i.e. 35 and above) will potentially give you scrubbing on the top of the inside guard even with offset of >30<45

4. Coilovers alleviate the guard scrubbing issue due to their ability to set the ride height and suspension hardness settings but if going for a profile of >30 you may need to set the ride height higher than you would get from lower springs to avoid scrubbing

So ideally if you're looking to go to 20"s you should ensure that you go for an offset of >30<45 and if you want to avoid the top of the inside guard scrubbing issue you should use 30 profile tyres if lowering with springs or go with coilovers if you want to use a profile >30

Did I get that right?

Yeah you pretty much got it...the only offset i can talk about on 20" with any experiance is +45 (haven't used +30,not sure weather they would fit anyway).Also tyre width plays a big part,245mm wide scrub more as opposed to 235mm wide.

I'm running 245/35/20 atm moment with coilovers and i still have a very minor rear scrub on deep holes & speed bumps taken a little to fast,but coilovers are 95% better ride than just lowered springs.i could adjust the coilovers higher but i'm starting to lose the stance i was after...anyway i've choosen to drop down to 19"rims to see if i can eliminate this scrubbing issue once and for all.I suppose the only advise i can give you if it's worth anything is if you run a 245/35/20 lowered it will scrub no matter what you do,if you run 245/30/20 lowered might be ok,but ride quality is compromised,my advise and it's taken me 12mths to work this out myself (i'm bloody stubborn or stupid not sure which one) is put 19"on it and then some coilovers and set the height and ride to your specs and hopefully NO SCRUBBING.

But 20"do look the goods on an Aurion,they seem to fill those arches very nicely. :)

I thought I might add the following. In no way am I saying your statements are wrong; I'm just giving an opinion:

1. Offset of > 45 with 20"s (8.5" wide or greater) will give you scrubbing on the inside of the wheel regardless of lowering

With this statement, it should be made clear that the scrubbing is not the one most think of where it scrubs on wheel arch/guard. This type of scrubbing is against the strut. It will either scrub or it won't... depending on the offset and wheel width. You NEVER want this to happen.

2. Offset of < 35 with 20"s (8.5" wide or greater) will potentially give you scrubbing on the outside guard when lowered

Having an offset any lower than +35mm and having your car lowered will probably scrub all the time if your wheel width is greater than 8.5 inches. Depending on how much lower your car is, this can be even worse.

4. Coilovers alleviate the guard scrubbing issue due to their ability to set the ride height and suspension hardness settings but if going for a profile of >30 you may need to set the ride height higher than you would get from lower springs to avoid scrubbing

Also as well, depending on which coilovers you get, you can adjust the camber which can also help alleviate the scrubbing issue.

So ideally if you're looking to go to 20"s you should ensure that you go for an offset of >30<45

My personal opinion would be to have a minimum offset of +35mm. This is if you aren't going to roll/pump your guards or anything like that.