Car Audio

E-Gene

I'm in the market for a new head unit for my soon to arrive Stivo and would like to know what you guys currently have in your cars. Personally I would like to get my hands on one that does mp3s, so that I don't have to have so many CDs lying around in the car.

Also, where can I get the single din adaptor from? Assuming that I don't get myself a double din player.

Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the market for a new head unit for my soon to arrive Stivo and would like to know what you guys currently have in your cars. Personally I would like to get my hands on one that does mp3s, so that I don't have to have so many CDs lying around in the car.

Also, where can I get the single din adaptor from? Assuming that I don't get myself a double din player.

Thanks.

Your going to replace a 6 disc stacker with a single disc mp3 player?? ummmm that will hold about the same amount of music will it not?.

Im keeping the deck, running a high pass filter into Sony Xplode Amp and Speakers.

ive changed mine to a single din unit with a 12 disc stacker, u dont need a single din adaptor u just need something to fill up the hole in the dash. Toyota sell a tray/ pocket thing for it or u could make something to fit and u need something to fill in the sides cause the factory deck is wider than normal decks, toyota also sell plastic strips for this for about $16 each

I hevent got the Stivo to put these in yet, but they are in my falcon ready to be put in next week.

Alpine

________

CDA-9807 MP3/WMA Head Unit

SPR-694A Type-R 6x9" Coaxial Speakers

SPR-176A Type-R 6-1/2' Component Speakers

________

Remember that a MP3 CD can hold up to 200 songs easily (128Kb 44Hz)

If you go to an WMA player (like mine) you can actually lower the bit Rate and you still have near CD quality sound in a smaller file. you can fit over 250 songs on them. (and if you use 90 min CD's you can get even more)

Also being a single DIN system you have room for something extra to put in.......the choice is yours¿¿¿¿¿¿

I treid to find this iformation on another post, but I couldn't find it.

Just want to know what's the right size speakers to get?

I'm thinking about getting an Alpine HU with amp and speakers. Don't want to take the space up in my boot with a subwoofer.

my first post, hello everyone!

my corolla is a sedan so it *might* be different to stivo.

i put in a new system this year and the speakers in the doors are 6.5"

the speakers are easily removed, unlike american corollas which have speakers riveted to the doors.

my new head unit is single din therefore i had to install an extra pocket. the pocket is genuine toyota part and cost $18.00. the pocket can only be installed on the bottom thus your head unit on the top.

there are gaps along the left and right sides and these are filled with another toyota genuine part which cost $15 per side.

if you do not like having 4 parts (head unit, pocket, left side blanking, right side blanking) you should purchase American International stereo installation kit specially order from jb hifi or garys car audio. the part is toy-k960 and this is one piece, matches dash contour and factory textured abs plastic. i think the cost is $40.00.

if you need to change the interior bezel behind your side mirrors this cost $22 per side. you might change it to be able to install tweeters (surface/flush install, not hidden).

Just a warning for this "American International stereo installation kit", I order one from the US, and to my suprise it is not a perfect fit, It needs modification to fit. So i suggest u to just get the genuine part from toyota.

I have alphine 9815, Hertz front splits, candance amp and Sony sub.

here is a pic of my HU,

ca1.jpg

IMHO, MP3 headunit are so much better....less CD, more songs. Get alpine... :)

the speaker size i use is 6.5"....

my new head unit is single din therefore i had to install an extra pocket. the pocket is genuine toyota part and cost $18.00. the pocket can only be installed on the bottom thus your head unit on the top.

there are gaps along the left and right sides and these are filled with another toyota genuine part which cost $15 per side.

So does the genuine Toyota pocket fit like a glove or will I still have to modify it? Just don't want my HU to fly out from it's socket when I hit lift. :rolleyes:

Ok guys, please forgive my stupidity :huh: here, but I'm still pretty new to the car audio and modding scene, and am learning a lot from this forum already.

Just wondering, is there any advantage of getting an amp if I do not intend to get a sub? Will getting an amp with the stock CD player improve the sound quality?

yes. i will make it so much louder. but make sure to buy a good amp. not some cheap **** from strathfield.

but remeber to add about anoth $50 on top of the price of the amp for wires.

So I can actually add an amp to the stock CD player?

What amp would you recommend that's good value for performance?

no modification is needed for the toyota genuine parts pocket.

yes you can connect an amplifier to a stock head unit by using a hi-lo converter/adapter. hi-lo is built into some amplifiers but if not you can purchase it for approximately $20.00 and it sits behind your head unit. you will also need power wire, inline fuse holder and speaker wire.

i think the stock system is loud enough. the only advantage i find in connecting an amplifier to a stock system is to go louder (with stock speakers) or to connect a power hungry item such as a subwoofer. connecting an amplifier you will need to wire your speakers from the amplifier.

please remember that the corolla has very cheap speakers which means poor power handling and poor sound quality. if you like very loud music you should do this but you might blow your speakers, lose hearing and get very very sick loud music.

your doors and side mirrors are likely to vibrate/rattle a lot with loud music which i find is terrible unless you have high pass filter to remove low frequency to your speakers in your doors.

yes. i will make it so much louder. but make sure to buy a good amp. not some cheap **** from strathfield.

but remeber to add about anoth $50 on top of the price of the amp for wires.

So I can actually add an amp to the stock CD player?

What amp would you recommend that's good value for performance?

Yes mate, you need to buy whats called a "High pass filter" this will convert the high power output speaker wires from the deck to low power output RCA connections suitable for an amp.

Advice, do your shopping and get a REALLY good high pass filter otherwise you will get a whistle through the speakers as you rev. A good high pass should cost between $30 and $50, not the $15 crap they sell at strathfield care radio.

For an amp it depends on your budget, im VERY partial to eclipse amps, the Sony is ok for the money with a really really low thd level (Total Harmonic Distortion) the lower the better, the Alpine amps are obnoxiously high its terrible, Alpine make great speakers and **** amps.

If I had the money and could sacrafice boot space I would go Alpine speakers (the one up from the typr r series), Sony or Eclips amp and and Eclipse sub with the metal centre, they are wonderful subs giving out a really clean bass.

Im about to upgrade mine and im on a budget unfortunately so im going Sony splits, Sony rear fillers and a sony amp with a $35 high pass filter on the stock deck. I really would prefer other speakers but cost is the major factor here and the Sony's will be a snot load better than the stock speakers.

Cheers

So I guess that changing the speakers without getting an amp would kinda be a waste of time?

What size are the rear and side speakers? We should make this a sticky topic.

i would leave the stock system as it is, stock. i think the speakers are matched pretty well to the this unit and the whole system is good.

the advantage of installing just an aftermarket head unit would be for greater features such as MP3 playback or remote control to name just a few.

on the other hand if you want a new system please install at least a new head unit and front speakers with new speaker wire. i found alpine speakers hassle free to install into corolla doors and less expensive to competitors. please try to listen to the speakers you are interested in before purchasing them.

i have already stated the size of the speakers in the doors and so did a few other people, the size is 6.5" or 16.5 cm

out of interest, who here would (or has) installed splits at the front against a single speaker in the door?

In Western Australia it is almost impossible to get the side panels that fit in between the gaps... I nagged toyota for a good 6 months before I gave up and got the plastic panels made up for it especially.... cost $30 from Alberts Car Stereo!

My sound system isnt bad... its been nicknamed the vibrating nutshell by a few people.... heres the link to my topic....HERE

I nagged toyota for a good 6 months before I gave up

that is very very bad service. did you think of phoning a dealer interstate and ask them to supply the parts to you? did you know dealers in vic can supply the item locally within 24 hours?

for me i have been waiting on a new window seal for 4 months. if one dealer cannot help you you should try another dealer.

some dealers do not even know where to look on their computer for the parts called "blankings". it is found under "stereo" and NOT console air vents!