sportivo gearbox thumps

I was driving my corolla sportivo 05model its got about 250kms on the clock but it when I dump the clutch in 2nd and third it just thumps(sound and big jolt)I am changing off about 8000rpm in each gear

what do you recomend try better gearbox oil or get a HD clutch?

I'd say improve your shifting, it's like this in most stivos I know of. All you need to do is feed the clutch on a little slower and it'll be all good. Takes a bit of practice finding the friction point on a regular basis and holding it there a second longer but it makes a huge difference to the driving characteristics of the car.

i would have to say changing before 8000rmp might help :P

but thats only cos my conquest wont rev that hard and i am jealous <_< as has been suggested, dont jump off the clutch so hard when changing gears

:)

i was told the other day off a toyota sales man that the new corollas r ready 2 drive....... he reacons they r dynoed b4 they come 2 the show room n u dont need 2 run em in, i think wat he was saying is a load of crock.. from my understanding any new car should b driven with ease 4 at least the 1st 1000km

I was driving my corolla sportivo 05model its got about 250kms on the clock but it when I dump the clutch in 2nd and third it just thumps(sound and big jolt)I am changing off about 8000rpm in each gear

what do you recomend try better gearbox oil or get a HD clutch?

I think the problem is the loose nut behind the steering wheel :D.

Seriously this has to be a joke right?? You gearbox makes a thumping sounds when you dump the clutch?? Never woud have seen that coming.

When changing gears treat your car as if you are taking off in first, feed the clutch to the friction point then be a little more gentle while putting your accelerator down. your transition will be smooth (and thumpless) and you will rocket forward faster than "Dumping" the clutch. Oh and there is the benefit that your not going to completely shag your gearbox too :D

Are you serious, I didn't rev the stivo past 8k until I had chalked up 3000 kms. I'd be taking it easy for the next few thousand kays just to get the motor run.

hehehe .......hahahaha...anyway (topic has been covered)

BH has valid points...you shouldnt really dump the clutch...unless you can rev match well.

8000rpm with 250km on the clock???

If she grabs a piston you'll know all about it.

Yes you should take it easier til the first service, you can still rev it up and give her some, but going near that redline, valve bouncing, dumping clutches and carrying on isnt something i'd be doing too often regardless of km's on the odometer.

At this point I am clearly reminded why I went for a brand newie!

Yeah i gave mine some stick but yeah at 1000ks i reset the ecu and killed its life ... a bit :lol: she really didnt open p till about 7000ks though anyways that the beuty of it being your car do you like with it :) enjoy the lil beast mine is still freakn me out they are crazy lil cars...

At 800ks i took my car to Mt. Keira and gave it good flooring to about 7800rpm.. i think that will be my run-in route for my next car if not i will atack Macquarie pass and its 2 dozen hairpins :D

Anyway, the thump is due to the clutch i think and your driving method.. The clutch in most Stivos are very abrupt (which i think has something to do with the shifting woes..), "thump-and-lurk" as described by some.

Z

At 800ks i took my car to Mt. Keira and gave it good flooring to about 7800rpm.. i think that will be my run-in route for my next car if not i will atack Macquarie pass and its 2 dozen hairpins :D

Anyway, the thump is due to the clutch i think and your driving method..  The clutch in most Stivos are very abrupt (which i think has something to do with the shifting woes..), "thump-and-lurk" as described by some.

Z

I had a look at the map, the Macquaire Pass looks cool .... :D

Anyone knows if there are some nice twisties(mountain road) near in Sydney area?? :D

Edited by Cooley

Anyway, the thump is due to the clutch i think and your driving method..  The clutch in most Stivos are very abrupt (which i think has something to do with the shifting woes..), "thump-and-lurk" as described by some.

Z

Anyone knows if there are some nice twisties(mountain road) near in Sydney area?? :D

Just come for a cruise down south :P , express your interest in the club meets section and people will turn up!

Z

Z

Just come for a cruise down south :P , express your interest in the club meets section and people will turn up!

Z

I think we can find a few more roads all round Sydney, that's the great thing about being in a 'basin'... But yeah the last couple of cruises have gone south and we've had a great time.

Zee - just watch for the Cyclists... ;) B)

I tryed some clutchless changes and it felt better until the gearbox broke into pieces so its back at toyota getting new box, clutch and it only had nearly 500kms on the clocknow (I think it was a faulty gearbox)

Its ok to rev the car hard as long as its warm before you do, and give it some cooling time after and should not have any problems

i dont think it was a faulty gearbox. sounds more driving habit to me. these motors do come pre run in but they are run in without much load on them so there is not much stress on the engine. so theoretically they are run in to a degree. i gave my car a bit of stick before it started to loosen up. i havent gievn the gearbox hardly any hard work due to the fact that the gearboxes are the strongest box in the world. and plus im sick of fixing the boxes. haha.

the mechanics will know your driving style dude so all im saying in cover your own ***** for warranty purposes. because some places will see a lot of signs that car was under an enourmous stress load and not give warranty. i know this because we have denied warranty on a customers car before. the car got towed in, clutch was completely gone (03' Stivo Brand spanka....in that time). there was 1,500 kms on the clock. front tyres bald down to wire, extreme flat spots on rear tyres. front tyre giblets on inside of the guard. we knew it was thrashed beyond limitation. he went balistic when he didnt get warranty. cost him a pretty penny too. so i guess its luck of the dice with stuff like that. sorry to ramble guys, just felt in the mood to tell a nice story. ha

But if there's no Tell Tale signs like those you've just listed that the car has been abused, you can also just plug in the ECU and that will tell you what's been happening can't you?

Wow,

Cant believe the box blew after 500km. I spent the weekend getting aquainted with my new baby.

It took a whole weekend of driving to get used to the car, At first I took it very easy with gear changes and the speed of which that I was trying to complete them. The slower the better when your starting out.

Because the gears are so much closer than most cars you really have to take care, especially on down shifts, you dont wanna go looking for 5th and land in 3rd.

Once you've worked the box out and are confidnet that you can land it in any gear u wish you can now go out and have some real fun.

Bashing your box around from day one is no doubt why you've experienced some problems.

Clutchless shifting (cant remember the correct terminology guys) in a car your not familiar with, not a good idea, you should know it inside out with the clutch before trying that.

Not saying that there wasnt something wrong with the drivetrain but it doesnt sound like you've helped it out any.

give the box a good 1000K run in period as western says...then you can go hell for leather.

they are strong boxes....to say the least. I only wish the clutch and other compnents were up to the level of abuse they can handle like the box :(

Edited by Danthuyer