splits

hey guys, im going to be buying a decent set of splits soon, to put in my ascent... but i dont have stock holes for my tweeters...

just wondering where you guys with splits have your tweeters... i understand the sportivos come stock with tweeters - where are they located?

any help would be apprecitated.

blue_rolla

hey guys, im going to be buying a decent set of splits soon, to put in my ascent... but i dont have stock holes for my tweeters...

just wondering where you guys with splits have your tweeters... i understand the sportivos come stock with tweeters - where are they located?

any help would be apprecitated.

blue_rolla

the stock tweeters in the sportivo and levin are situated in the bottom left hand corner of the left window and botton right hand corner of the right window, closest to the side mirrors of the car.

what they'd usually do is put the tweeters in the air vent holes on each side of your dash if you dont have the stock tweeter positions.

if you speak to kcorro, he is selling these covers that go into the corner of the window. although what u do need are the brackets to hold up the tweeter as well. maybe toyota sell the tweeter cover kit or something :unsure:

anyway, this pic is quite dark but it should let you know where they are situated.

does anyone know where to place the tweeters if your running splits at the rears as well?! :unsure::unsure::unsure:

post-652-1117021484_thumb.jpg

if you read the specs of your splits or component speakers it will give you a description of where the splits should be placed in comparison to the actual speaker, for rears.. it will more than likely say to put them withing 20cm of the actual speaker..

yeah that's right, check the manual to find the maximum distance the tweeter can be away from the main driver. Too much separation will cause too much sound separation.

tweeters should also be "line of sight" to your corresponding ear, as well as your passenger's (if you want them to experience it as well hehe :P)

how bout putting them in those vents in the dash which appear to point towards the side windows? is that a stupid idea cos its an air vent or would it work? - also do splits have to point towards you or can they be pointing up as they would in that vent...

im new to all this, so bear with my stupid questions :unsure:

if thats not an option, how much do you guys reckon it would cost to get those plastic panels which your stock tweeters fit in? i was fiddling with my car and my plastic bits in the corner of the windows come off, so im assuming yours does too...

thats really weird... cos i read the whole thread before posting again, and yet i still asked the question...

good to see someone is on the ball...

do you reckon it would work as well as in the corners of the windows? i imagine tweeters are highly directional, seeing as they produce the highest frequencies - so would it not sound as good facing up?

yeah i never thought about that (reading the specs) even though i do very carefully before i buy my stuff :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

it would be great if someone could custom make the tweeter cover for the rear doors or are they actually sold somewhere...?

i was fiddling with my car and my plastic bits in the corner of the windows come off, so im assuming yours does too...

everything in the car comes off, thats how everything was put together in the first place :D :D :D

if you want custom tweeter mounts, or kick panels, i can refer you to my fibreglass person. He's quite familiar with (my) corolla and knows exactly where to mount tweeters, whether on the floor on on the doors

btw why floor? in the car, tweeters sound the best as far as possible from your ears (remember, it must be direct line of sight)

just PM me for details

• 1 year later...

Just ressurecting an old thread because I'm in the same situation. I just got a set of nice splits for my '02 corolla ascent. Just wondering how others have placed their tweeters.

Currently the my options are placing them in the dash air vents,

or

Modifying the mirror panel and mounting them in the same position as levin/sportivo owners

hey mate, thanks for resurrecting my thread :P

in the end i put my tweeters in the air vent holes, in the bracket supplied with the speakers that let me swivel them towards the listener... i love where they are - sound is good, and my tweeters are big enough to fill that whole vent so it looks like its meant to be there...

if you want a pic let me know.. i'll have to go take one..

i'd suggest if your tweeters fit nicely in those holes, put them in there... ive never used those vents - they are for demisting the side windows... i find that if you stick your windscreen demister on full ball the air still manages to reach the windows so they clear up fast too...

Had to dig long and hard to find this thread :P

I would love to see a pic... did you install it yourself? If so how hard was the wiring?

Anyway I've got a set of Boston pro60s ready to go in. Just have to find a good spot for the crossovers too.

I still haven't installed my fronts, but in the box are 3 sets of mounts and instructions for 3 different ways of installing the tweeters. Not sure if other brands give you all this extra stuff, I had no idea what it was for until i looked at the instructions thoroughly... They are Alpine Type-S.

I'd also like to know where people put the crossovers... Tommy?

lol they are cable tied to some stuff under my dash... im not sure exactly what... but i found some nice resting places for them and BAM cable ties and a bit of gaffa...

if you can get your head in your foot well and can look up through your dash, you'll find some convenient plastic platforms that are part of the dash to rest them on and just secure them with whatever you can...

... yes dodgy i know, but it works :)

Hahahahaha nice...

I guess i still have 98 black velcro dots left over from putting in my iPod stuff...

Bunnings only sell them in packs of 100 :P

Did yours come with speaker cable? I got all this extra stuff and no wire... :P

• 2 weeks later...

there you go :D

670429_5_full.jpg

this always seemed like the logical place to put it. that panel is heaps easy to take off, why would you place a tweeter into a perfectly good airvent? the idea sounds a bit dodge...

dont mean 2 knock your technique, you can do what you wantever u want with your car but what are the negativez about putting the tweeters on that panel?

• Like 1

there you go :D

670429_5_full.jpg

this always seemed like the logical place to put it. that panel is heaps easy to take off, why would you place a tweeter into a perfectly good airvent? the idea sounds a bit dodge...

dont mean 2 knock your technique, you can do what you wantever u want with your car but what are the negativez about putting the tweeters on that panel?

Because a perfectly good airvent is also an ideal place to mount your tweeters. Speaker manufacturers don't provide their component systems with airvent faceplates/brackets for no reason. It is a recommended position, especially for those who don't want to start going custom or don't have stock tweeter position already.

As for the negatives, I don't see any. Some of the best SQ setups out there utalise this position. It's just a matter of your ears. Some prefer the stock position (if any), others prefer the A or B pillars or even a kick panel. Always good to try out various positions to see what suits you.

That's why an aftermarket unit with time alignment can become very useful for these things as you want them evenly spaced from you as possible.