polariser for the LCD screen (sportivo)

prolly posting in the wrong area but anyways...

hey guys just wondering for the lcd screen, i just finished modding the center console to be blue instead of the yucky green colour.

the next step is to reverse the lights so that the text appears blue and have a black background.

i already got the polariser (had to look so hard for it)

one problem though:

when i angled my glasses (which are polarised over my laptop screen), on a 45 degree angle, it completely blacks out, however when i try it on the lcd clock in the sportivo, it only goes darker and then brightens up. and this doesnt even happen on the 45 degree angle. it happens when the glasses are straight!

im confused whether its the polariser that is used on the lcd screen is different to the other polarisers that are used for other lcd screens (ie laptops or comptuer screens). then i would have wasted my money on the polarisers. grrr

any ideas peoples?

Polarising for LCD's can vary depending on their intended use. Polarising them at a 45 degree angle can help improve their visibility when wearing polarised glasses since polarised glasses are typically vertically polarised to block out most glare. If with your glasses on, you have your LCD go it's darkest when your glasses are horizontal, this would indicate that the clock LCD has been horizontally polarised. If this is the case, you need to have a polarising sheet that is vertically polarised to reverse the LCD.

Polarising for LCD's can vary depending on their intended use. Polarising them at a 45 degree angle can help improve their visibility when wearing polarised glasses since polarised glasses are typically vertically polarised to block out most glare. If with your glasses on, you have your LCD go it's darkest when your glasses are horizontal, this would indicate that the clock LCD has been horizontally polarised. If this is the case, you need to have a polarising sheet that is vertically polarised to reverse the LCD.

so the polariser would be exactly the same as any other lcd screen, only that its angled differently?

my confusion isn't actually on the angle itself, (although it wil be a pain in the a$$ to allign the paper) but on the fact that the lcd clock/climate control didn't completely black out. so thats why i was wondering if its a different type of polariser...

My guess is that the clear plastic cover outside the clock/climate control is curved and not straight like a laptops, hence bending the light differently as it comes out of the lcd...

Hilift - please search the forums... =_=;;

or read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display to understand more about lcds :)

Update. Ok this is really getting to me. I even wondered if it's even possible to reverse the lights on this thing... I took the electronics out to eliminate the plastic covering on the center console. But this time when I held my polarised glasses horizontal, the colour (blue) is filtered out! I was thinking it should completely black out like my laptop screen!

Any ideas guys, cheers!

Mate, some LCD's will not black out completely when you hold another polarising filter up to them at 90 degrees. This is because polarising filters don't necessarily block all wavelengths of lights.

did you remove the original film from the screen?

no need to get another polarizer. i inverted my clock by removing the original film, ethanol to remove the glue and then reused it by flipping it.

sorry did u mean by flipping it so the back that was on the stuck on the lcd is now on the outside? or did u flip it 90 degrees?

i did try to but i didnt completely remove it becuz i was scared te dust will settle on the screen...

plus i thought there wasn't any glue on it... it easily came off by slowly peeling it with tweesers

So you're saying you thought the way to reverse the LCD was to put another polarising filter on top? I thought all this talk about trying it on top was just so you could determine the polarisation direction.

Then in that case, you are doing it wrong. All that has to be done is to take off the existing filter and replace it with a new one (or re-using the original if you didn't mess it up) but rotated at 90 degrees. Flipping the polarising filter over (back to front) can work, but only if the LCD is diagonally polarised.

i think i flipped it so the the back that was the stuck on the lcd is now on the outside. the flim is adhesive on the lcd side so i had to remove that with ethanol. i didn't glue it back but it holds it place fine.

so you didn't remove the original film? maybe thats why your polarizer is not working right.

nah i always knew that i had to replace the original filter with a new one. i just tried it with my glasses over the top (w/o taking the filter out) to see how it works and to see how the filter (the one attached to the lcd) is orientated...

what i did thought that all lcd screens used the same polariser but as u said its the angle thats different.

but then u said it depends on the type of polariser used so im kinda stuck here until i try the ones im getting from taiwan

Ahh I give up. Took off the first layer of plastic thinking it was the filter but it was just extra covering to protect it! I tried to take the second filter off but it's not coming off :( maybe give up and settle with what I got...

Weren't u scared to scratch the LCD? Lol

Use one of those flexible razor blade replacements that you use on scrapers (like the one in the attached image). As long as you hold is as flat to the surface as possible, you won't scratch the LCD. Much like a shaving razor when used correctly will not slice your skin.

1010067140.jpg

hey guys, yday i bought a cheap calcultor for $2 and i dismantled the lcd took the polariser off with a small kitchen knife and experimented with that

From my findings...

the polariser on the calculator is 45 degree polarised.

the polariser on the sunnies were vertical, (tested when sunlight reflecting off the doggy bowl full of water) (as u said DJKOR)

when i put the calc polariser across the lcd in the car at a 45 degree angle, its darker

when i put the sunny's horizontal to the lcd in the car, its darker

conclusion:

the TOP layer of the polariser on the screen is filtered horizontally, (like DJKOR said :D)

now its just cutting the sheets i have on a 45 degree angle (how annoying) to fit the LCD screen

but didn't toyota think about people wearing polarised sunnys make it harder for them to read the screen?

check this out LOL

http://displayblog.wordpress.com/2006/08/0...ved=0CCgQ9QEwBw