xbox 360 - i got the 3 red lights of death :(

JJCRU23R

gday, need help fixing my xbox 360!!!

on startup, screen remains black, all i get is the 3 red rings flashing away and the green power light.

no warranty on it.. this is the 2nd xbox360 ive owned.. both were bonus's when i bought my mobile phone from strathfield, which made it difficult to deal with the tech support guys at microsoft when the red rings occured on my 1st x360 and had it fixed under warranty.

its been like 3 years since ive had this 2nd x360 and this is the first time Ive had the red lights.

any help would be appreciated if i could fix this myself at home, but if you know of someone in western sydney that can fix this please let me know asap!!!

thanks, jase.

Edited by mannyMANNYmanny

this turned up in the google ad under ur post

www.ConsoleKingz.com.au

except they are all the way over in bondi looking at the website

on startup, screen remains black, all i get is the 3 red rings flashing away and the green power light.

no warranty on it.. this is the 2nd xbox360 ive owned.. both were bonus's when i bought my mobile phone from strathfield, which made it difficult to deal with the tech support guys at microsoft when the red rings occured on my 1st x360 and had it fixed under warranty.

its been like 3 years since ive had this 2nd x360 and this is the first time Ive had the red lights.

any help would be appreciated if i could fix this myself at home, but if you know of someone in western sydney that can fix this please let me know asap!!!

thanks, jase.

quite easy to fix get a ps3 :P

thanks, jase.

quite easy to fix get a ps3 :P

ok fine I expected smartass comments like that, but let's just keep it on topic! For myself and for other members with x360's who may one day get this same problem, any diy solution or any contacts to reach a reliable console repairer would be an awesome help.

Thanks

I got given a RROD 360 a while back. I can guarantee that none of the home remedies work, coz I tried 'em all.

Your best bet is to send it to Microsoft. RROD extends past the ordinary warranty period. I believe you got an extra 3 years on top of your standard warranty for RROD errors.

Check out this page to register your console with Microsoft, and then you should be able to check your warranty status and request repairs, etc. Alternatively, call up Microsoft tech support and take it up with them

Also, even if it is out of warranty, Microsoft will still repair it, though they charge $120 (last I checked) to repair it.

Edited by Paradigm

Count your loses and get a PS3 instead :lol:

UGH.. someone already said that if you bothered to read the other comments :blink:

anyways, ive gone through the registration process on the xbox website and ordered a repair through the site.

it asked me specifically what the issue was, and whether it had the 3 red rings in a dropdown menu. I wrote in less than 500 letters what the problem was and that I havent attempted to open the console and Ive selected "YES, I see 3 red lights lalala..").

The next page gave a recipt of the service order including a price for the repair which ive cut n pasted just below.

|

|

|

V

Product Quantity Price (AUD) Total

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xbox 360 Console Service - 3 Flashing Lights ( Exchange )

Part # 268

1 $0.00 $0.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product prices shown do not include VAT. VAT is charged based on the VAT Rate of the country to which the product ships.

Shipping and handling charges are included in the price.

Subtotal $0.00

Shipping $0.00

VAT @ 10.00% $0.00

Order Total $0.00

Correct me if Im wrong, but it appears that theyre going to send me an empty box to pack my console in and send it back to them and have the console exchanged for $0.

FREE.

Takes at least 3 weeks but its getting repaired for nothing which is awesome. All I got to make sure of is that all the cables, cds and hard drive are separated from the console before packing it in the box.

I was close to calling the local xbox repairer/chip guy but after reading Paradigm's useful advice, it looks as though I may get my box fixed for nothing, which is how it should be since this error is inherently the manufacturers fault!

i just recieved an email from another repairer saying theyd replace the motherboard and dvd drive, change the cooling fan for $150...

If youve got the money, great!

ive been thinking, since the dvd drive can be changed or upgraded to another dvd drive on the xbox 360, would you think its possible to replace it with a blueray dvd drive?

i know based on past experience when it comes to PC's, installing/replacing a cd/dvd drive is pretty much a plug n play kinda deal. Might a blueray dvd drive be as easy if installed to an xbox 360?

Glad I could be of some assistance.

Unfortunately, although consoles are mostly PCs at heart these days, its not quite so easy as upgrading your PC. For starters, your DVD drive needs specific firmware (the internal software of the drive itself) to be able to play the games, so you can't just put any old DVD drive in. Then theres the issue of Live. If you don't have a DVD drive with the official Microsoft firmware, Live will probably detect that and probably ban you. The closest thing you may be able to get is one of those 360 HD-DVD external drives and get that installed internally, but I don't know for sure if it would work, and even if it did, it would be a waste of time and money for obvious reasons.

Not quite sure why the repairer you heard from would replace teh motherboard and DVD drive. RROD generally is nothing to do with the DVD drive. Its caused by excessive heat (due to inadequate cooling, plus poor design resulting in poor airflow) causing the motherboard to flex, cracking or breaking the solder between the motherboard and processor. Microsoft fix this by resoldering the processor to the motherboard and upgrading the cooling device on your processor.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

My Xbox 360 has returned! Finally! However, my Easter school holidays are done and its back to teaching for me. >:/

Anyways, theyve written to me saying that I will notice my Xbox will have a different serial number. This is because theyve swapped my old 2006 model x360 with a 2009 model.

Theyve provided instructions on how to get the xbox up and running again as well asking me to accept their apologies for the inconvenience of sending away my console with 1 months free xbox live membership.

not too damn bad!

paradigm: yea they told me to take off the face of my xbox, the hard drive and the original cables.. all that stuff i kept. however the new xbox i recieved came with a xbox face.. so Ive got 2 faces for my xbox. i might just paint something on the old face to make it look a bit more interesting.

hidden taco: yea because it was the 3red lights problem, they did the exchange even though i was out of warranty. btw the new xbox has a warranty now until august 2010! that was a nice bonus. i think youve added me in your xbox live already?! im JJCRU23R.. that was my original nickname in TOCAU.

Edited by mannyMANNYmanny

HAHA i think its funny that you xbox guys have to "pay to play" online.

Oh by the way PS3 rules!!!

Yea, having to paying anything to play others online sucks. HOWEVER- I dont have a plasma, no FOXTEL, dont often eat out at cafes/clubs/pubs.. so the 70-80 bucks for 1 year xbox live membership is not too bad if you were to compare it to those other options.

The 360 was available long before the ps3 was released which is why i didnt bother with the PS3.

Basically what im saying is if youve got a ps3, quit bragging about it already! you dont see people in these forums putting crap on others for the types of cars they own - EXAMPLE: 2zz sportivo owners putting crap on 1zz ascent owners. arent people on these forums typically already old enough to drive a car??? your stupid comments are CHILDISH more than anything else. There are some people out there who dont feel the need to upgrade to the latest frikken gadget whenever something new comes out.

• 3 weeks later...

microsoft always seem to do the right thing for rrod i've had to send mine back twice well actually i sent my first one back and it came back and lasted a week and i couldnt be assed sending it back so i just bought an elite then that red ring of death only a few months ago sent that back and they did the same for me. pretty quick turn around though.

QOUTE"arent people on these forums typically already old enough to drive a car??? your stupid comments are CHILDISH more than anything else. There are some people out there who dont feel the need to upgrade to the latest frikken gadget whenever something new comes out."

Dude, i was having a harmless dig, All i said was i think its funny you have to pay to play online. And if by me saying ps3 rules is bragging you need to get a life. Im sorry if you found my comment childish, but do you do anything else apart from taking to heart peoples comments posted on internet forums, i mean at the end of the day we are only talking about a video gaming console, you do realise forums are a public place where people can express there views, dont you.

QOUTE"arent people on these forums typically already old enough to drive a car??? your stupid comments are CHILDISH more than anything else. There are some people out there who dont feel the need to upgrade to the latest frikken gadget whenever something new comes out."

Dude, i was having a harmless dig, All i said was i think its funny you have to pay to play online. And if by me saying ps3 rules is bragging you need to get a life. Im sorry if you found my comment childish, but do you do anything else apart from taking to heart peoples comments posted on internet forums, i mean at the end of the day we are only talking about a video gaming console, you do realise forums are a public place where people can express there views, dont you.

Grow up! everyone knows xbox 360 pwns ps3. ps3 = homo male bum lovers.

your awesome dude. i get called childish for saying ps3 rules then you bust out with that ****,

hehe. I hope you realise i was being sarcastic.. :P

arghh sorry dude, i thought i was getting slammed. hahaha

LOL.. naa. I'm with you. This is a public forum and the topic was about 360s having RROD issues. A viable solution is to purchase a PS3 which you have given us a very brief review of. Sounds fine to me.

• 2 weeks later...

true, this is a public forum. personally i found nothing wrong with raxbelial's comment about paying for playing online. it sucks. that was a valid point!

however, the topic was simply about asking for helpful advice regarding my 360 and buying a ps3 is NOT an option if you still want to play your x360 games and just want your console repaired quickly and in the cheapest way possible. if i wanted to find out if it was worth buying a PS3 then "PS3 RULES!" would be a valid point!