Issue with the 2zz

Had the car serviced last week.

I worked out roughly the car hadn't been serviced for at least 6 months....

I had noticed a noise from the engine kind of like a wet rattle.

Mechanic said it could be a lifter or the vvtl-i component, he said its only when the oil pressure is low.

He said it might quieten down after a week or so of the good oil going through well it hasnt.

Performance hasn't been affected hit lift 1st popped 2nd and it spun in the dry on near new 205 turanzas for at least 10-15m so its performing

Has anyone had this issue?

Edited by NRG71C

Happens when you run low on oil or don't change oil regularly.

Your valve clearance is off and may require adjustment. Also, you may need new tensioner pulley. Running thicker oil is quieten the noise down a bit.

Edited by 51EKA

Your valve clearance is off and may require adjustment. Also, you may need new tensioner pulley. Running thicker oil is quieten the noise down a bit.

Yeah the services were done on time up until it was traded (around october last year) I don't want to run thicker oil to mask it I would rather fix it for the piece of mind.

Yeah the services were done on time up until it was traded (around october last year) I don't want to run thicker oil to mask it I would rather fix it for the piece of mind.

Whatever you do, don't run engine cleaner. It will make it even worst.

Mechanic said it could be a lifter or the vvtl-i component, he said its only when the oil pressure is low.

He said it might quieten down after a week or so of the good oil going through well it hasnt.

He mustn't have looked in a 2zz head before, it doesn't have lifters.

The sound is normal, nothing to worry about. 6 month intervals are the recommended time frame if you haven't reached 10,000km anyway.

The sound is normal, nothing to worry about. 6 month intervals are the recommended time frame if you haven't reached 10,000km anyway.

Its going in on saturday morning, question is how do i get rid of it now that its there & whats making it

yeah i got the same noise from long ago as well

this is what mine sounds like

the topic i started which is same as yours. read the other site SD gave me, it's interesting its about replacing the VVT i mechanism.

So far i've run the car since then without any problems... still have the noise though

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26187

prolly won't help much but at least your not alone on this problem

[quote name='NRG71C' date='08 April 2010 - 11:08 PM' Its going in on saturday morning, question is how do i get rid of it now that its there & whats making it

The cams are chain driven, they just make that noise. You can't do anything about it. You can check out the link kenshin posted regarding the VVT rattle and how to test for it, but it isn't detrimental to the engine and is expensive to replace, and if (easily) done wrong will cost even more.

i had that diesel noise on my bmw it was the timing chain, have the tensioner checked. That's what im doing.

Even if its the VVT making the noise its getting changed, i cant stand it, fkn annoying and doesnt look too good. Im anal about anything i own, i take care of it all and im not leaving the rattle there.

Umm... i think your the one who hasn't looked in a 2zz head, they have hydraulic lifters.

Going in on monday, its a sticking lifter

Umm... i think your the one who hasn't looked in a 2zz head, they have hydraulic lifters.

Mate watch yourself. Considering SuperDave has rebuilt a 2ZZ from scratch and put new cams in his 2ZZ head i'm pretty sure he knows whats going on with the 2ZZ.

ALL 2ZZ'S MAKE THE DIESEL SOUND. STOP WASTING EVERYONES TIME WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD THERE IS NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!

hope you have fun wasting your money on monday fixing something that some mechanic has told you is wrong that doesnt exist :P i wonder what he's going to tell you he did once he takes the rocker cover off and realises its not a 1zz corolla like hes fixed before and it doesn't have hydralic lifers :P

Edited by T_Money

Mate watch yourself. Considering SuperDave has rebuilt a 2ZZ from scratch and put new cams in his 2ZZ head i'm pretty sure he knows whats going on with the 2ZZ.

ALL 2ZZ'S MAKE THE DIESEL SOUND. STOP WASTING EVERYONES TIME WHEN YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD THERE IS NOTHING WRONG!!!!!!!

hope you have fun wasting your money on monday fixing something that some mechanic has told you is wrong that doesnt exist :P i wonder what he's going to tell you he did once he takes the rocker cover off and realises its not a 1zz corolla like hes fixed before and it doesn't have hydralic lifers :P

Yeah good one, go back listen to the videos im not talking about the diesel sound.

Well if his rebuilt the engine from scratch, he would notice there is a non normal noise which about 10 people have all confirmed.

Edited by NRG71C

Mate curb your attitude. SD knows about the 2zz more than most people in this forum.

@mecha wombat. How long have u been running penrite 10w50? I've got a bottle ready to go in next week! :)

Also is it the hpr10? Semi syn? Hopefully this will get rid of the ticking noise I have too :)

Mate curb your attitude. SD knows about the 2zz more than most people in this forum.

@mecha wombat. How long have u been running penrite 10w50? I've got a bottle ready to go in next week! :)

Also is it the hpr10? Semi syn? Hopefully this will get rid of the ticking noise I have too :)

Rather then saying that it would have been easier for him to say you mean 'lash caps'.

I'll re correct myself on the hydraulic lifters.

Either way the noise isnt meant to be there, and is being fixed tomorrow or Tuesday depending on if i can get out of my boxing session early

I actually ran HPR 5 in my sportivo and it yielded me the best HP figures on the dyno. I originally was running the 10 but switched to the 5 after chatting to an associate who is heavily involved in drag racing and using penrite oils. Definately felt better but the best thing you can do with a 2ZZ is change the oil every 5 000k's not 10. It does make a difference.

From someone who knows a lot about 2ZZ's and told Superdave most of what he knows :) They are one big mechano set and can be tricky to work on if you don't know what you are doing!!

I actually ran HPR 5 in my sportivo and it yielded me the best HP figures on the dyno. I originally was running the 10 but switched to the 5 after chatting to an associate who is heavily involved in drag racing and using penrite oils. Definately felt better but the best thing you can do with a 2ZZ is change the oil every 5 000k's not 10. It does make a difference.

From someone who knows a lot about 2ZZ's and told Superdave most of what he knows :) They are one big mechano set and can be tricky to work on if you don't know what you are doing!!

hey SB, i was considering running 5 as well, only because it was recommended by the penrite website. i thought the number that was really important is the 2nd number on the oil rating. and if ur running a performance engine such as the 2zz, the higher number would protect it more in racing conditions. thats why i chose 10 rather than 5

in saying that, the website says that the 5 is ideal for high performance engine esp ones with VVT.

confused much... :huh:

just curious how different was it on the dyno with the two different oils?