Quiet performance muffler

No happy with the exhaust sound when in hi rev. It's quiet when drive normally,

It sounds ok when I keep my foot down, but once it's over 5k rev I could hear the engine

suffocating, awful. Thinking of replace the two rear mufflers. I still enjoy the quietness when doing everyday driving

but I want it to scream when in high revs if you know what I mean.

Any suggestions? No Varex or similar please because I know I will never open that valve.

Chheers!

For what you are after, I would suggest getting a K&N SRI or any other custom made intake. This will give you the quiet driving in the normal rev ranges, but when you put your foot down, it will roar. No need for an exhaust when this intake sounds great.

There is barely any restriction after that front y-pipe by the way. Changing the rear mufflers alone isn't going to help anything towards this 'engine suffocation' you say is there.

The SRI might not be street legal in NSW, besides I have already got a K&N panel, don't want to waste that.

You said,

There is barely any restriction after that front y-pipe by the way. Changing the rear mufflers alone isn't going to help anything towards this 'engine suffocation' you say is there.

I have to disagree on this one. any muffler will restrict air flow even the straight through ones. And muffler is a big factor for the sound the car is making. I understand that you can only increase the max air flow by changing the whole system but changing the stock rear mufflers will definately help, agree?

I did a search on youtube recently and find some really nice ones such as MTM Audis, too bad it's not available in Au.

Edited by SemiAutoG22

I have to disagree on this one. any muffler will restrict air flow even the straight through ones. And muffler is a big factor for the sound the car is making. I understand that you can only increase the max air flow by changing the whole system but changing the stock rear mufflers will definately help, agree?

Technically speaking, yes any muffler will restrict airflow. The amount of restriction though is what matters in this case. The mufflers as designed will reduce the noise the car makes by presenting the exhaust gases with something to go through and this is certainly a restriction. However, this restriction may not have any effect at all to the engine.

This is one of the reasons the Aurion uses a dual rear muffler setup. By dividing the exhaust gases between the two of them, any restriction caused by the rear mufflers will not adversely affect its performance.

This has also been shown on dyno. During a dyno day here in Brisbane, an Aurion was ran with no mufflers and was putting down the same power as an Aurion with it's stock mufflers in place.

Well, I'm about to install a couple of Borla Mufflers on my Aurion maybe this week.

Thanks to how easy it is to replace mufflers with the Aurion i can just change the rear mufflers and still keep the quietness when driving normal. Even though these mufflers are S type through i don't think ill get much noise out of them if i don't touch the middle mufflers.

My only concern is that i might have to change the pipes down there because it seems in stock the Aurion uses only 2" Pipe! People have told me that sh!t can really restrict your cars performance. But I'm happy with the way things are right now, i just want LITTLE noise when accelerating hard is all.

Will post impressions once I've installed them.

Automatics with a loud muffler sounds terrible, especially when the gear changes.

I wouldn't bother.

It really depends what mufflers you get. If you rush buy and don't get the proper mufflers, like what I did :(, your car will sound like a tiger tank and drony inside. I had my mufflers on for two months and removed it because it was too loud. After doing some research, its best to go for a sports muffler with some baffles like the stainless steel supercats that people on this forum have talked about. I'll be checking up on these somestage these next two weeks.

Edited by alphamox

Technically speaking, yes any muffler will restrict airflow. The amount of restriction though is what matters in this case. The mufflers as designed will reduce the noise the car makes by presenting the exhaust gases with something to go through and this is certainly a restriction. However, this restriction may not have any effect at all to the engine.

This is one of the reasons the Aurion uses a dual rear muffler setup. By dividing the exhaust gases between the two of them, any restriction caused by the rear mufflers will not adversely affect its performance.

This has also been shown on dyno. During a dyno day here in Brisbane, an Aurion was ran with no mufflers and was putting down the same power as an Aurion with it's stock mufflers in place.

Hey that was me :P heh yea i love the sound with no mufflers on the old Aurion i knew it wouldnt do anything, just sound good :)