Amp + Sub in stock 6 CD stacker. doable?

Hi guys, since I'm low on funds, I won't be able to upgrade to the LCD head unit that everyone seems to put in their Aurions here for a while, so while I'm low on funds and can't blow about $500 on one, I rather chuck in an amp and sub and run it off my stock 6 CD stacker. I know the 6 stacker is lacking a AUX input, but I've got my iPhone and you can just hook up the radio adaptor and run your music off that from iTunes, so problem solved without wiring :).

Is it possible to run off a amp and sub, and will it sound any good with stocky speakers and head unit?? Since I'm not spending money on the LCD unit, I want to get a very decent set-up going with amp and sub.

I just cannot stand the sound of these stock speakers. They do pump but no where near what a proper set up would.

Edit: I just found out my cousins neighbour is a Toyota mechanic at the dealer. I was always wondering why he has all Toyotas and why he never stops 'fixing' them. I had a talk with him and with some mates rates he would help me out :).

Edited by unique

I'm not too sure about Aurions but I've seen it done on other models (think some guys on here have done it with their corolla) so I would be inclined to say yes.

If that's not the case, why not go buy a cheap unit for now and save up for a good one later?

Its doable. You can buy an adaptor which basically taps into your speaker wires and converts it to line level RCA outputs, which you then connect to your amp.

You simply buy a 'line out converter' also known as a 'high to low converter' and you can use this to connect your amplifier/s up. It taps into your existing speaker wiring and then converts this to RCA outputs which is what your amplifier needs.

Some amplifiers even come with 'high level inputs' which bypasses the need for a LOC, but it all depends on what you get.

I was running a sub in my Sportivo from the moment I started driving it, and it was a couple of months before I even changed the stock head unit.

to add to this, if your looking for a pretty decent sub/amp set up which will pump hard but not break the bank, try the Alpine m500 mono block and s-type 12inch. im running that set up in mine now and it goes hard. eventually i will be upgrading to a x type and pdx but for now it certainly satisfies me.

also have a look at Lee (1stkills) set up. i think he uses rockford fosgate subs and amps.

so glad your starting your mods! cant wait to see it :)

Edited by -DAvo

Awesome guys, thanks for the replies. Will start running around and looking for a decent setup that won't hurt my wallet. Can you guys recommend anything else from the ones that have been mentioned?

Just want to look at a few and compare etc.

If you want good quality for good price, Pioneer, JVC and Kenwood aren't bad. I personally prefer Pioneer over the other 2, I find its better quality, but it mostly comes down to personal preference really. Just, for the love of all things sacred, don't buy Sony Xplod!

just decided to put my input on this. I run this set up in my ZRE, LOC from jaycar with 10" kicker and alpine monoblock and im happy with the sound i get from it. I also just gave my mate a hand doing the same thing with his ZRE a few weeks ago, but he has a 12inch pioneer sub and 2 channel pioneer amp. He bought it from jb and bargained with them. Got the amp, sub with enclosure, ground wires and speaker cables for 400 all up. With his amp he had speaker line's or something like that which is an alternative to having an LOC and RCA cables, i think works in the same way, but he ended up buying an LOC anyways.

Sound quality wise, it was bad. he plays his music off a cd so it drones and the bass just overpowers any other sound (i kind of get the same issue if i do this). Alot of playing around had to be done for it to be reasonable to listen to. But seeing as you're playing it off an ipod, you get alot more control, that way as you can use the EQ on that, so thats what i do and it doesnt sound too bad. Just set up the amp right and that should be fine. hope that helps :)

to add to this, if your looking for a pretty decent sub/amp set up which will pump hard but not break the bank, try the Alpine m500 mono block and s-type 12inch. im running that set up in mine now and it goes hard. eventually i will be upgrading to a x type and pdx but for now it certainly satisfies me.

also have a look at Lee (1stkills) set up. i think he uses rockford fosgate subs and amps.

so glad your starting your mods! cant wait to see it :)

Gotta agree with your setup. I'm using all Type S speakers at the moment, have the same m500 amp as you and i have two Type s 12 inch subs. Pretty good value.