Brake fluid is blue. Normal?

Hi, I just popped open my brake fluid lid to have a look inside. The colour of it is a clean blue, when I touch it with my finger, you cannot see it at all on my finger, its like clear water.

Is this normal?

edit: here is a picture: http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/8179/dscn2780u.jpg

ALSO, I looked at my power steering fluid, and its going kinda old. I have a bottle of new castrol power steering fluid, so I swabbed a bit of the power steering fluid from the car and the power steering fluid from the bottle, and the bottle is a very clean pink while the one from the car is on the 'dark side'.

Having a look at the Aurion service manual, no where does it ever say to replace the power steering fluid in any part of the service book but to only "inspect it".

Since it doesn't give a time frame when it should be changed, after how many KM's should it be changed?

Why is it so?

Edited by unique

Does your car still come to a stop? I thought so.

The colour of the brake fluid changed at normal service intervals is nothing to worry about. There are different colour brake fluids out there, and that one happens to be blue. The stuff in my TRD is the same colour as well (for now until I change it next weekend). Nothing to worry about there.

As for the power steering fluid, it's not normally something that they include in the service schedule to change. For most people, they can get away with it not being changed, but that's for your everyday drivers. Some people say you should change it when you change your coolant, but in the end, it's up to you.

Personally, for your average case, I would recommend doing a drain and flush of your power steering fluid at 50,000km-75,000km intervals at the latest. Even sooner if you really want to. ATF isn't overly expensive and when you fluid starts going dark in colour, it would be a good idea to change it then.

This was mine at it's last change, old vs. new:

dsc05649b.jpg

Does your car still come to a stop? I thought so.

The colour of the brake fluid changed at normal service intervals is nothing to worry about. There are different colour brake fluids out there, and that one happens to be blue. The stuff in my TRD is the same colour as well (for now until I change it next weekend). Nothing to worry about there.

As for the power steering fluid, it's not normally something that they include in the service schedule to change. For most people, they can get away with it not being changed, but that's for your everyday drivers. Some people say you should change it when you change your coolant, but in the end, it's up to you.

Personally, for your average case, I would recommend doing a drain and flush of your power steering fluid at 50,000km-75,000km intervals at the latest. Even sooner if you really want to. ATF isn't overly expensive and when you fluid starts going dark in colour, it would be a good idea to change it then.

This was mine at it's last change, old vs. new:

dsc05649b.jpg

Thanks for the reply (Wouldn't know what I would do without you on TOC) :P

As for the picture of your power steering fluid, thats exactly what my side by side comparison looked like. My PSF looks like the one on the left.

Today I called my dealer to get my car booked in for Friday to get those squeaks and dash rattle noises checked out. I was quoted $350 for the oil change, filter and brake fluid. But seeing as though the brake fluid is in tip top condition, is it better I not replace the brake fluid but instead spend the $350 on the power steering fluid?

P.s I'm currently sitting on 62K, and I'm due for my 60K service.

I'll call them up and tell them to add the service for oil, filter, and power steering fluid if DJk says so (instead of getting the brake fluid done as the service manual says).

... is it better I not replace the brake fluid but instead spend the $350 on the power steering fluid?

Unless you are doing some serious braking, I'd just stick with the normal service intervals for your brake fluid. If I recall correctly (without taking the effort to check my service logbook), I think the brake fluid intervals are 30,000km. So if that's the case, yours should be changed at your next service. Your brakes are one of the crucial components to your car's safety. I would just let them change it. It's also just to be safe since there is the possibility that your brake fluid could have a small amount of moisture in it since brake fluid is hygroscopic (water absorbing). Asking them not to do this wouldn't really cut much off from your service costs either, so I wouldn't turn it down.

As for the PS cost, I don't know what the standard rates are these days though because I do stuff like this myself. I would imagine it wouldn't exactly be something cheap if done by Toyota.. but I don't know.

You should just spend $40 or so on a 5 litre bottle of PS fluid (I use Fuchs ATF 4000) which I think was around $35 for 5 litres, and then just get your hands... and maybe your garage floor :lol: dirty and drain and flush your PS system yourself.

If you do it yourself though, make sure you have quite a few rags handy. The process can be messy if you don't take care.

Post edited: misread when the service was done.

... is it better I not replace the brake fluid but instead spend the $350 on the power steering fluid?

Unless you are doing some serious braking, I'd just stick with the normal service intervals for your brake fluid. If I recall correctly (without taking the effort to check my service logbook), I think the brake fluid intervals are 30,000km. So if that's the case, yours should be changed at your next service. Your brakes are one of the crucial components to your car's safety. I would just let them change it. It's also just to be safe since there is the possibility that your brake fluid could have a small amount of moisture in it since brake fluid is hygroscopic (water absorbing). Asking them not to do this wouldn't really cut much off from your service costs either, so I wouldn't turn it down.

As for the PS cost, I don't know what the standard rates are these days though because I do stuff like this myself. I would imagine it wouldn't exactly be something cheap if done by Toyota.. but I don't know.

You should just spend $40 or so on a 5 litre bottle of PS fluid (I use Fuchs ATF 4000) which I think was around $35 for 5 litres, and then just get your hands... and maybe your garage floor :lol: dirty and drain and flush your PS system yourself.

If you do it yourself though, make sure you have quite a few rags handy. The process can be messy if you don't take care.

Thanks again! Tomorrow I will call Toyota, get details on how everything is going to be played out. Get prices etc and see which options suit me best.

Thanks again! Tomorrow I will call Toyota, get details on how everything is going to be played out. Get prices etc and see which options suit me best.

Hi,

First post. Have been lurking around for 6 months or so.

I had the power steering flush service performed on my 2007 Prodigy 4 weeks ago. Car was in at my Toyota dealer for the 67,500km service ($210) however they called to say they didn't like the colour of the power steering fluid (too pink they said, should be a darker red). Additional cost for the power steering flush service was $95.

BTW, many thanks to this forum and particularly DJKOR. I acquired my Aurion 6 months ago and the info from the forum has made the purchasing and ownership much easier. Since owning the car Toyota have :

1. Fixed the dash rattles (for this the car went in 3 times for a total of 4 days at the dealer)

2. Replaced the VVT-i oil line

3. Replaced the transmission ECU (due to flaring)

4. Replaced the audio head unit (due to intermittent scrambled display)

All under warranty. Many of these faults I may not have been able to diagnose before the warranty runs out (at end of July) without the help of this forum.

Edited by robw17

Hi,

I had the power steering flush service performed on my 2007 Prodigy 4 weeks ago. Car was in at my Toyota dealer for the 67,500km service ($210) however they called to say they didn't like the colour of the power steering fluid (too pink they said, should be a darker red). Additional cost for the power steering flush service was $95.

BTW, many thanks to this forum and particularly DJKOR. I acquired my Aurion 6 months ago and the info from the forum has made the purchasing and ownership much easier. Since owning the car Toyota have :

1. Fixed the dash rattles (for this the car went in 3 times for a total of 4 days at the dealer)

All under warranty. Many of these faults I may not have been able to diagnose before the warranty runs out (at end of July) without the help of this forum.

Too pink? What do you mean by too pink :huh:

Also was it $210 for oil, oil filter and power steering fluid or JUST power steering fluid? I was quoted $350 for a frigging oil change and brake fluid change! :angry:

Also was it $210 for oil, oil filter and power steering fluid or JUST power steering fluid? I was quoted $350 for a frigging oil change and brake fluid change! :angry:

He mentioned it was $210 for the standard 67,500km service, and the power steering fluid change was an additional $95. This seems about right.

I think you will find that the $350 you were quoted is for the 60,000km complete service. $350 does sound about right for this service, but you can get it for cheaper as long as you ask around. I think my 60,000km service came to a total of around $205, but I had to provide my own oil, brake fluid, and told them not to do a wheel rotation/balance.

I'm looking forward to my next service though. My TRD is still on the Toyota Service Advantage. $120 service FTW.

He mentioned it was $210 for the standard 67,500km service, and the power steering fluid change was an additional $95. This seems about right.

I think you will find that the $350 you were quoted is for the 60,000km complete service. $350 does sound about right for this service, but you can get it for cheaper as long as you ask around. I think my 60,000km service came to a total of around $205, but I had to provide my own oil, brake fluid, and told them not to do a wheel rotation/balance.

I'm looking forward to my next service though. My TRD is still on the Toyota Service Advantage. $120 service FTW.

Hmm alright. Man, I'm still juggling between getting the power steering fluid changed OR the brake fluid changed because the brake fluid looks like to be in great condition.

Also I'm so so so so devastated about service advantage. I wish you did not remind me.

Here goes:

Last night, I was on the net and I seen a service advantage banner on this website, so I decided to click it and see what its about.

And there is a place you can put your VIN in to see if you are eligiable. I put mine in and it said it expired NINETEEN DAYS AGO!! :angry: :angry:

If I had KNOWN I would have been saving OVER $200 and I wouldn't have cared about the brake fluid changing etc because EVERYTHING would have been for $120 anyway. SO ****** OFF :angry:

I even called toyota head office today asking if they can have mercy on me, but no mercy :(

Hi,

Too pink? What do you mean by too pink :huh:

They claimed that the fluid is normally a darker red and that the lighter pink colour that mine was might indicate that it needs changing. Seems subjective to me but I had it changed anyway. $210 was the quoted price for the 67,500km service. Power steering flush service was additional $95. Total was $305.

I'm still juggling between getting the power steering fluid changed OR the brake fluid changed because the brake fluid looks like to be in great condition.

If you're so keen on skipping the brake fluid change, you should ask Toyota just how much you would save by removing it from your next service. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't save you much money.

Respond to you PM as well, but still, you should ask for future reference.

I'm still juggling between getting the power steering fluid changed OR the brake fluid changed because the brake fluid looks like to be in great condition.

If you're so keen on skipping the brake fluid change, you should ask Toyota just how much you would save by removing it from your next service. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't save you much money.

Respond to you PM as well, but still, you should ask for future reference.

Cheers mate ;)

Today I did not have time to call and ask dealers around for best price on service due to work commitment. Hopefully will have time tomorrow.

Brake fluid can be in any colour. Think it as food colouring. It means you do not check the colour of the brake fluid for its condition.

Also, it is not usual to change the power steering fluid. UNLESS the fluid is contaminated.

Brake fluid can be in any colour. Think it as food colouring. It means you do not check the colour of the brake fluid for its condition.

Also, it is not usual to change the power steering fluid. UNLESS the fluid is contaminated.

ZR6_AurionT hit the nail on the head.Brake fluid can be any colour,ranging from blue thru to yellow almost clear.Being hydroscopic it readily absorbs moisture,thats why master cylinders these days are clear not the old cast ones of days gone by.

As yours is dark blue its obviously been changed some where along the line,as the original Toyota is yellow.

As for your power steering fluid (ATF ) fluid if its turning pink,its contaminated with moisture(turning a milky red),at work we change all fluids on a regular basis,based on mileage, not time,but some of our semi,s are doing in-excess of 50,000 km per calander month.Mate check with who ever done the last service and ask if they changed your brake fluid and at what kays was it done,

cheers