Whats the process of picking up something from the ocean ports?

Hey fellas, Im in the process of importing a body kit from the US to melbourne but ive never actually had any experience what so ever with picking up something directly from the ports. I know custom fees and taxes will need to be paid for, and ive done a few hours of trying to dig up stuff on a heap of other forums and international websites but there hasnt been anything specific or really relevant for australia

So whats the process of actually picking up something from the ocean ports directly? Like what happends as soon as the package is unpacked at the docks? How will i be informed etc etc

Any advice at all would be appreciated, only thing im waiting for now is actually figuring out how this is all going to play out.

Thanks in advance

I'm pretty sure they will inform you by mail or phone and i think they will charge a fee for each day it is held there. From my experience, the guys who work at the docks are pretty rough(i used to send stuff to Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island for work a bit).

Edited by trentmeyer23

Thanks for that mate. Will they tell me exactly where to pick it up?

Also, ive wanted to call the docks directly and simply ask this question myself but who do i call? The ports are HUGEEE so i wouldnt know where to start.

Edited by private number

What shipping company is the package being sent with?

You usually engage a freight forwarder for large items and they arrange the customs clearance, dock fee's etc etc.

Edited by CHA54

Hey mate.. Since I've recently done this for the Aurion GB, I'll tell you what I experienced.

You should have your invoice etc2 from your supplier for proof of documents to pick up your goods. Your sender / supplier should also be able to tell you when the goods have arrived in Melbourne. Simply ask them to help you out.

I figured the arrival time myself through the info I got from my invoice, checking the next available flight from the sender's origin to sydney. And my supplier also helped me to confirm for the items' arrival.

You can try go to the place (If you're 100% sure the items have arrived) and do things faster, or you can wait for a mail to be sent out to you informing that your goods have arrived. I did the 1st way.

During my custom clearance, I was asked if the goods are worth more than $1,000 AUD or less (This is shown through invoice). The custom also asked me whether I was at the seller's place when I purchased evrythin. If I was at Thai and bought these myself, and sent it here, the custom clearance process would be much easier, simply pay and get away.

Since I bought it overseas, and I wasn't there when I purchased it, I had to go through different process. Try search 'unaccompanied personal effects' in google. Cut things short, I had to use a Cargo broker to clear the custom. They'll do evrythin for you. The only thing you have to do is pick your items up.

For the storage fee, it's flat until a certain date. After the deadline, you'll be charged on daily basis.

A bit more than a week after I finished evrything, I got an envelope, telling me to pick my goods up at the dock. :lol: :lol: