ABS module Damaged

My 2001 Avalon Had new struts and shocks fitted, when I picked up the car the ABS light was on, technician suggested sensor may have been disturbed and he replaced sensor, only to find ABS electronic module also u/s. Auto elec cannot prove one way or another that the technician has damaged a sensor and in turn has also damaged the electronic module. Old sensor has been replaced but it is reading 2 ohms when it should be around 1400 ohms, suspect now if I replace the electronic module then the low ohm resistor will cause grief. Has any one else come across this problem?

did anyone try and clear the codes from the ABS ECU before replacing the original sensors? They're fairly difficult to break, but the ECU will log a code which requires the scan tool to clear if they car is started with a sensor disconnected.

i have seen this plenty of times on both avalon models mcx10 and camry sxv mcv20 series. If the technician removes the strut assy and leaves the abs sensors in place letting the lower suspension arms dangle (on fr and rr) the abs sensor wiring becomes stretched and throws a code. Even local mechanics have come in asking the exact same quest and our reply is did you undo the sensors and not stretch the cables ?.

get the codes checked and determine which ones are throwing the code , see if they will erase and if not its time for new sensors , not cheap and i don't want to point any fingers :whistling: i haven't seen an abs module damaged by having a faulty sensor or wiring. was the abs sensor new ? or a quality wreckers supplied one ?

Edited by GSV40R

GSV40R

Posted Today, 07:08 PM

i have seen this plenty of times on both avalon models mcx10 and camry sxv mcv20 series. If the technician removes the strut assy and leaves the abs sensors in place letting the lower suspension arms dangle (on fr and rr) the abs sensor wiring becomes stretched and throws a code. Even local mechanics have come in asking the exact same quest and our reply is did you undo the sensors and not stretch the cables ?.

get the codes checked and determine which ones are throwing the code , see if they will erase and if not its time for new sensors , not cheap and i don't want to point any fingers i haven't seen an abs module damaged by having a faulty sensor or wiring. was the abs sensor new ? or a quality wreckers supplied one ?

The very same thing happened the other day on a GSU45 Kluger at work, luckily it was a stock vehicle we was nabbing parts off but shows just how easily it can happen :S