2007 Corolla Head Unit troubleshooting

Hi,

I have a 2007 Corolla Ascent ZRE15 and the other day i had a small crackling sound now there is no sound coming out of the speakers. The head unit seems to work fine, plays cd's tunes to radio etc but no sound whatsoever. I have tried turning the volume up :P

I also took out the head unit to inspect the cabling and everything seems to be in place OK. The fuses are also OK under the hood.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? I suspect a loose cable as I sometimes here a crackle when i go on bumpy roads but not sure where?

Thanks in advance.

Manic

Hi,

I have a 2007 Corolla Ascent ZRE15 and the other day i had a small crackling sound now there is no sound coming out of the speakers. The head unit seems to work fine, plays cd's tunes to radio etc but no sound whatsoever. I have tried turning the volume up :P

I also took out the head unit to inspect the cabling and everything seems to be in place OK. The fuses are also OK under the hood.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? I suspect a loose cable as I sometimes here a crackle when i go on bumpy roads but not sure where?

Thanks in advance.

Manic

Is this the Standard CD/MP3 deck or an after market one ?

Loose cable or incorrect ground with the speaker cables are my 1st point of t/shooting .

If its an after market unit and if at the time of instal the wires were not soldered then disconnect all speaker cables on the rear of the deck and then re-connect speaker at a time.

If the fuse was blown there would be no power , there are no fuses for Sound ..

If this is a standard Deck then try finding the speaker cables on the rear and try connecting a speaker (if you have a spare in garage) from the Lug/connector and see(Hear -lol) if there is sound .

If this fails i will try suggesting something else .

Are there any wiring diagrams available that show which are the ground wires and where they are ground to? This is the stock standard head unit.

I suspect an incorrect ground wire as well. Would the head unit still power up if the ground wire was not grounded or is there a separate ground wire for the speakers?

I doubt it's the speakers as they all cut out at once.

EDIT: I found this: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2007-toyota-corolla-car-radio-wiring-diagram/

Extract:

2007 Toyota Corolla Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/White

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray

Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: White/Black

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Black

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A

Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A

Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue

Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A

Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): White

Does this mean the "Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown" is the one to make sure is grounded?

Edited by Manic

Are there any wiring diagrams available that show which are the ground wires and where they are ground to? This is the stock standard head unit.

I suspect an incorrect ground wire as well. Would the head unit still power up if the ground wire was not grounded or is there a separate ground wire for the speakers?

I doubt it's the speakers as they all cut out at once.

EDIT: I found this: http://www.modifiedlife.com/2007-toyota-corolla-car-radio-wiring-diagram/

Extract:

2007 Toyota Corolla Car Stereo Wiring Diagram

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Blue/White

Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Gray

Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown

Car Radio Illumination Wire: Green

Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: White/Black

Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: Black

Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: N/A

Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A

Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A

Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A

Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Pink

Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Violet

Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Light Green

Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue

Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A

Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A

Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Black

Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow

Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Red

Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): White

Does this mean the "Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown" is the one to make sure is grounded?

Sorry , i should have been clearer with my last post . its not the ground for the deck that is faulty otherwise there wouldnt been an earth(negative) cable to ground and provide power.The fact your deck has power clearly indicates there is nothing wrong with the ground.

Its the speaker(s) Negatives and positives you have to check and make sure they are not incontact with each other. Sometimes if the speaker plus(+) and negative(-) have contact to each other it will disable sound.

Where abouts are you located ? Sometimes its easier to explain if you look at the fault in person .

I can suggest some extreme things (dont worry , nothing off topic) but it might eventuate to nothing.

eg , i could cut all wires and re -wire (reconnect) speaker at a time if i got to the stage where i couldnt locate the fault any other way but as i said this is a bit extreme ..

You havent recently changed /upgraded any of your speakers ? Or removed door trims or gone close to the speaker lugs on any of the doors , have you ?

Edited by Rolla & Sao Boy

Thanks for the suggestions peoples. I have no idea what I did to fix it but it seems to have fixed itself. I took out the head unit and made sure the plugs were all secured, it still didnt work but after my wife started it the other day it worked fine?! Works for me :)

Thanks for the suggestions peoples. I have no idea what I did to fix it but it seems to have fixed itself. I took out the head unit and made sure the plugs were all secured, it still didnt work but after my wife started it the other day it worked fine?! Works for me :)

I guess all it needed was a womans touch ... :lol:

Good to hear your problem is gone

• 4 months later...