Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax

-DAvo

Ok, so having tested out the new meguiars wash and wax product, ive come to a few conclusions of my own... before you continue reading please note that these are my own personal opinions, the beauty of car detailing is that what one product produces may be appealing to one user and at the same time not appealing to another. its all in the eye of the beholder.

So to start off with, my car surface currently has 2 coats of Nxt 2.0, has not been buffed for a good while now as it is getting into winter and ive been away overseas for a while. it was buffed and majority of swirls and marks were removed prior to leaving overseas about a month ago.

previously i have used meguiars softbuff wash, meguiars nxt gen wash, mothers california gold wash, and meguiars gold class wash. to date i still use gold class shampoo as my main car wash product.

(the product was applied via a meguiars lambswool wash mit, using the two bucket method.)

first thing i noticed about the Meguiars wash and wax is the aroma.. while the gold class/nxt/soft buff all have a more "perfume" type of smell.. the was and wax has a very sweet almost candy like smell to it..

Suds - this product foams up like a mofo! awsome suds, i would say better than gold class. still had plenty of suds left after i had washed the entire car and wheels.

very very good lubrication, running the wash mit over the car surface was very reassuring that no swirls or scratches would be introduced via the wash mit.

Results - astounding. breath taking. wow. The back of the label states that it has "carnuba and polymer" protectants... i have not used a carwash that has left my car surface feeling this slick ever. gold class comes close, but after a wash with meguiars wash and wax, it feels exactly how the car felt prior to the wash with 2 layers of nxt 2.0... (if not a bit slicker due to the daily contaminents being removed)

gloss is (to my eyes)deeper and very reflective (see attached photos)

water sheeting ability was excellent. removing the spray nozel from the hose and rising from top down with a steady stream of water ment that most of the water was sheeted off the car, with me being able to dry the car to an acceptable level (in my terms) with a single meguiars chamois.

points to note:

i found that best results were acheived if you let the product "dwell" on the car surface for about 4-5mins. that is once you soap the car up, step away for about 5 mins... go wash your wash mit, clean your buckets, and THEN rise the soap off... in my experience it seemed to let the "protecting" agents of the wash do their job..

recommendation:

would highly recommend this to anyone looking to maintain their waxed car surface inbetween waxing sessions. it certainly is NOT a replacement for a good quality wax layer, and i would only recommend this as a "inbetween waxing session" wash. I wouldnt use this wash if i was about to buff the car, as i feel it would be a waste of product.. thats what my gold class wash will now be used for.

cons of the product

- price. at $24.00 for a largish bottle of this stuff it certainly places it in the more expensive washing products.

- availability. being new to the market (in WA at least) it can only be found at certain locations, i suspect this will improve in time

Thanks for reading and hope you found this helpful, please post any comments. :)

Dave

photos:

4623468175_a682d4c516_b.jpg

4624073056_8243f69ef8_b.jpg

4624073314_412d2caa5e_b.jpg

4623468899_7e816a1852_b.jpg

4624073684_e28b5332e3_b.jpg

Edited by -DAvo

Huge thumbs up to you mate. Thanks for the review! I love how your such a fanatic with cleanliness of your car. You never disappoint with the shine. :spiteful:

Edit: I can't help but notice that there is a tree right next to your car! I never ever park my car near a tree. The crap that comes off them contaminates the paint like glue!

Edited by unique

Huge thumbs up to you mate. Thanks for the review! I love how your such a fanatic with cleanliness of your car. You never disappoint with the shine. :spiteful:

Edit: I can't help but notice that there is a tree right next to your car! I never ever park my car near a tree. The crap that comes off them contaminates the paint like glue!

yeah i only park there temporarily while i wash the car, most of the other times its parked inside my garage ;)

yeah i only park there temporarily while i wash the car, most of the other times its parked inside my garage ;)

Oh okay. Fair enough :)

Ok, so just a quick update, it has been a few days since i last washed my car with meguiars ultimate wash and wax, and today being the day that i apply my wax layers for the week.

I have had the opportunity to test the product through some pretty average weather (perth has been cold and rainy the last few days, with the roads slick with dried up oil from the dry break, BUT also with some sunny periods that are just ripe for instilling the ever popular water marks onto your cars surface!) so would just like to post some of my thoughts to help those who are still "umming" and "ahhing" about the product.

few observations:

1. The car does retain some "beading" properties, however i found that the product causes water to "sheet" off the car surface instead. That is, after parking the car outside for a good few horus while at dinner, with rain periods on and off, AND parked under a tree (yes i deliberately tired abuse my surface as much as i myself could withstand :P) i found the car to have the water beaded up in small clumps which ranged from 50c coin size beads to small ball bearing size beads. as soon as the car started moving, the water seemed to "clump" together and sheet off the surface. leaving the front, roof, and front fender of the car virtually "water free"

2. in dealing with sun induced water marks. I did park my car at work during the day, in which there was period of dark cloudy showers and also intermitent sunny periods... result - watermarks! yay! :blink: now the car surface still maintained a "smooth to the touch" feel of a properly waxed car. windows were definately another issue and need to be hit with some autoglym glass polish to remove the water marks. No major water marks visible on the car body (at all angles of view) arrievd at my car at the end of the day to find the paint work still reflective and deep looking, but poor windows.

conclusions:

still IMO a superior product to other brands i have used in my time. (not only meguiars but also brands from kitten, mothers, armor all, eagle one) overall i am satisfied with the product, as long as you dont expect it to be a substitue for a good layer of quality wax, you should also be happy with it.. i WOULD like to see a product i the future that will somehow combine more of the hydrophobic properties of NXT 2.0 with the depth and shine from the meguiars wash and wax, as you do sacrifice a SMALL amount of that "water just doesnt want to come anywhere near my car" property that NXT 2.0 instills. but that will be for the future..

Awesome write up Davo! Love that you have the time/patience to test all this out, the results definitely show, especially in those night shots, you can see it reflecting nicely :D :clap:

I'd love to be able to try this out, but unfortunately live in Bendigo with all its bloody water restrictions and no yard I could possibly hope to hide in to do it in secret lol

thanks for the heads up B)

No problem. I just signed up and purchased it. My closest supercheap is like 3 minutes from my house and I drive past it everyday but since its free shipping, what the hey! I'll save myself having to start the car to buy it :lol:

This product works best if there is an already fresh existing wax application on the surface.

prior to this product, i would use Meg's NXT TECH wash for my washing solution. It did a great job, but i would have to follow up with Megs UQD (Ulti Quik Detailer) to enhance the results.

now, i just use this. if i really have time, i would follow it up with Megs UQW (Ulti Quik Wax). Yes, you are washing your car with QW&W but following up with UQW would further cover the areas missed by QWW alone.

results are spectacular when you have recently:

Removed all paint defects, and

Clayed the paint surface, and

Applied 2 even layers of NXT Tech 2.0, or Meg's other premium waxes such as M25.

With constant maintainence of your car with proper maintainence products from Megs, your 2 even layers of wax applied will last you beyond 3months easy.

• 5 months later...