2L diesel smoke issue

zoist

Hi, I have a Hiace 2L diesel and it was smoking so I went and put new injectors in and it didn't fix the problem. I went ahead and spent a whole heap more money and replaced the air filter, fuel filter, new reco injection pump and new timing belt. I fine tuned the injection pump until spot on and it still blows too much smoke. It doesn't smoke when idling or slowly revving up to about 2000 rpm but under load or higher throttle, it blows out too much black smoke :(

I have been wondering what else is causing this issue as I am not sure what to do. I would appreciate any tips or things to try or check.

Regards, Craig.

Turbo seals and oil lines first off.

If its only doing it past 2000RPM I'd have a good look at your turbo as it sounds as if its only having a fit on boost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nobody knows about diesels here?

Not me, although I think you might want look at your valves depending how many Ks on the motor. Diesel oil immediately goes black due to the compression. Your injector pump is probably the same as mine and the manual states that timing can cause smoking, but if you've adjusted it, then you might look at stem seals which unfortunately means pulling off the head, and while you're at it you should pull the valves, clean and lap them back in. I hope thats helpful, I can't think of anything else that would do it at the moment.

I've done a compression test and all the cylinders are perfect so the valves would be ok. The valve stem seals are ok as it's not blowing blue smoke.

OK so lets figure this out.

compression spot on.

timing spot on.

what does that leave us??

I supposed injection of engine oil into the combustion stream via valve stem seals . . . ba-bow! wrong!

oil rings?

head gasket?

cracked head?

How do we eliminate possibilities? (ie: will a compression test eliminate a blown gasket or crack in the head? . . . especially if they aren't too severe)

PS I'm not trying to be smart, just to help us both figure where the problem could be. For instance, if the head gasket is leaking from a gallery to the combustion chamber. I hope we can find it, I think you are going to have to commit surgery on it to know for sure.

• 1 year later...

if its black smoke at high load/revs, sounds like its just way too rich. or its not burning the fuel you have properly, but you say compression is good? so makes me think whoever tuned it for you is a bit heavy handed on the fuel screw.

try a test for me. hold the throttle so its at the point before it starts to blow smoke, now flatten it. is there any difference in power? probly not. all that extra fuel is doing nothing but going out the exhaust.

you can probly do it yourself. back off the max fuel screw about half a turn (screw it anti-clockwise) until the smoke reduces. you cant hurt anything.