ZZE122/123 Instrument cluster

Not blue. What u see what cha54 has posted is the normal colour of that tacho. Im tenpted to buy one just to take it apart to see id it is possible that it can be changed... Im guessing its just bayonet bulbs that i can twist and replace.

Nope. There are no accessible bulbs. it appeared to be LED's in the dash, already had a quick squizz at mine.

This is why I was also looking at other dashes...

Wait... i f they r leds. The brightness cant be adjusted becuz of the threshold voltage of the resistor? Any pics of the internals? :P where they soldiered in? Was it hard to pull out if the dash and crack open? Im sacred to do mine afraid somethig might happen lol

I forgot to take pics... I could take my dash apart... again for pics sake... but yeah, as far as I figured, they're soldered in, every single light on the dash, but the dash LED's themselves have the ability to be dimmed, as CME-LFT mentioned. by turning your headlights on (at least parkers) and then pushing your trip meter from the Odo (being how many Km your car has) to Trip A, then Trip B, Then once again... You should have these bars appear, if you press and hold your trip meter button in, it should start changing the luminosity of your instrument cluster...

Just to double check, doing a Instrument change should work, if the car you pull it out of, is also a manual, and it's from the same region your car's from?

nah it should be ok... i wanna buy a broken one from the wreckers and crack it open to see if its possible to do the change of colour or not... it doesn't matter what region, though i know the fuel gauge will be abit off as the levins have a 50L tank as opposed to a 55L tank on the sportivos. where they the SMD type leds?

i'd have fun revving it off the clock too :D

Edited by Kenshin X

nah it should be ok... i wanna buy a broken one from the wreckers and crack it open to see if its possible to do the change of colour or not... it doesn't matter what region, though i know the fuel gauge will be abit off as the levins have a 50L tank as opposed to a 55L tank on the sportivos. where they the SMD type leds?

I wouldn't see Toyota using bullet point single LED's, so due to the inefficiency of the light spread... Not that I pulled the whole thing apart, but I pulled enough apart to see that there was absolutely no user changeable parts, and the screws that were installed by Toyota are crap and strip easy, So be careful xD

Edited by Squall0011

i'd have fun revving it off the clock too :D

Yeah, If the electronic system on the dash would allow it, I know it's a little different than having cable fed speedo and tacho.

But it'd be cool if you could, provided it doesn't hit the speedo needle and create havoc and causes both of them to die :P

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to dig up old thread but update:

this is what the levin cluster looks like in my car

post-14801-127588742487_thumb.jpg

anyone know what the extra cabling for the sportivo behind the cluster (on the right) is for?

Yes, I see that :P

I was wanting that as opposed to the crappy lower model looks xD

wreckers is ur best bet... i haggled abit and got it dirt cheap becuz of the kms already on the clock (238,000kms LOL) but i dont really mind

i still dunno what that right plug behind the cluster is for... i should look thru the manual tonight to see if it says anything... i hope its not a sensor or something <_<

wreckers is ur best bet... i haggled abit and got it dirt cheap becuz of the kms already on the clock (238,000kms LOL) but i dont really mind

i still dunno what that right plug behind the cluster is for... i should look thru the manual tonight to see if it says anything... i hope its not a sensor or something <_<

Ah, As far as I know it "shouldn't" save the KM's to the instrument cluster..? I was under the impression that there was a computer on the engine somewhere, that saved the information of KM traveled by the car, thus displaying the correct amount when installing a new Instrument cluster...

I also thought that having the digital KM readout would make it near impossible to forge a car's Km's (eg. Lets say that it's done 250,000km and you purchase a dash with 100,000km, and the person attempts to sell the car, It's a bit of a rip off to the person purchasing the car}

Would love to see that given a good run through the first few gears.....I reckon the tacho needle would *almost* touch the speedo!!!!! Also good to see your passenger's face as the tacho swings past the last markings!

I can confirm the kays are stored in the cluster.

i rang toyota just to see if they can change the odo... but they said that they can only to the new clusters... i'm like 0_0 how much for one? "around 600 bucks" <_<

lol, just went for a drive with johnnieboi, he saw me rev all the way to the end of the clock :D :D

but since i have stock ecu... i can only go to 8k, which is the limit anyways so its perfect :D

edit: i think the fuel gauge is also abit off too... when full it goes higher past the full mark than the sportivo cluster... see how it goes...

Edited by Kenshin X

i rang toyota just to see if they can change the odo... but they said that they can only to the new clusters... i'm like 0_0 how much for one? "around 600 bucks" <_<

lol, just went for a drive with johnnieboi, he saw me rev all the way to the end of the clock :D :D

but since i have stock ecu... i can only go to 8k, which is the limit anyways so its perfect :D

edit: i think the fuel gauge is also abit off too... when full it goes higher past the full mark than the sportivo cluster... see how it goes...

Sportivos go to 8.2k. Definitely past 8k. Levin cluster won't be good for me if I'm planning on going to 8.5k :P

Looks good though.

So Toyota is only asking $600 for a new instrument cluster?

Do they charge extra for a Stivo or Levin cluster?

That's cool that it lines up perfectly lines up with your red-line...

So the Stivo has a smaller tank than the 1zz's?

Sportivos go to 8.2k. Definitely past 8k. Levin cluster won't be good for me if I'm planning on going to 8.5k :P

Looks good though.

dunno about the rest of u stivo owners, but mine definitely goes only to 8k or even 7.9k

i'll chuck on the stivo dash and drive it and show u guys...

im lucky it doesnt go over as its getting pretty close to the kph needle in 1st :D :D :D

@squall001 - nah stivos have 5L more than the other corollas hence my fuel gauge is like... abit more above the F line :D (in comparision to the stivo dash)

and i think that price is for the stivo cluster, not sure about the levin or ascent...

Lets say that it's done 250,000km and you purchase a dash with 100,000km, and the person attempts to sell the car, It's a bit of a rip off to the person purchasing the car}

Pretty sure it would be illegal to sell the car like that. Just the same as selling a car with it's mileage clocked back.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256F2B00231FE5/page/2010-April-Dodgy+Car+Dealer+Fined+and+Buyers+Compensated+in+Odometer+Tampering+Case?OpenDocument&1=0-2010~&2=15-April~&3=0-Dodgy+Car+Dealer+Fined+and+Buyers+Compensated+in+Odometer+Tampering+Case~

Lets say that it's done 250,000km and you purchase a dash with 100,000km, and the person attempts to sell the car, It's a bit of a rip off to the person purchasing the car}

Pretty sure it would be illegal to sell the car like that. Just the same as selling a car with it's mileage clocked back.

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA256F2B00231FE5/page/2010-April-Dodgy+Car+Dealer+Fined+and+Buyers+Compensated+in+Odometer+Tampering+Case?OpenDocument&1=0-2010~&2=15-April~&3=0-Dodgy+Car+Dealer+Fined+and+Buyers+Compensated+in+Odometer+Tampering+Case~

I know that would be the case, but lets just say they didn't get caught... I've seen quite a lot of ZZE122's and ZZE123's with less than 15,000km on the clock... I know there would be the odd one or two out there with that many, but 90% of papers I pick up, have eater model with anywhere between 10,000 and 19,500km on the clock...

It just seems (very) strange to me, that's all.