Hey All,

Just a quick one, I currently have

205/55/16

Was just wondering what would happen if I put

215/50/16

or

225/45/16

Would I need to re-calibrate my speedo?

Will this have a higher chance of a blowout?

What consequences will I face with the change in tire sizes?

Also, if I was to drive, what difference will it do?

Would the change in width, make me have greater grip?

http://au.toyotaowne...?showtopic=9050

No higher chance of a blow out, but you need to remember the rim width is important when choosing the width. What's the rim width? Also don't forget about fitting the spare in the boot.

• - Rim type Alloy
  • - Rim diameter (inch) 16
  • - Rim width (inch) 6.5

Would I need to re-calibrate my speedo?

Will this have a higher chance of a blowout?

Make yourself familiar with a calculator like this one:

1010 Tires - Tire Size Calculator

This will give you an idea of how much your speedo will be off by. As well, this calculator gives you the recommended wheel width for the entered tire size. As long as your wheel is within the recommended width range, you should not have any issues with regards to fitment of the tires to the wheels.

Would the change in width, make me have greater grip?

The usual answer you will get for this is 'yes'. However, here's some further information on that topic:

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg3.html

But on that website, it say's I can go UPTO 235!

Diameter Difference: 1.51%

235/50R16

Does that mean these tires are fine?

Thats a 20mm increase...

I do not want to change my profile, as I found 50 to be very helpful in my 'trackday', as it seems to be able to hold the car to the ground more during the corners... & gives me a way better predictable corner...

Do people think this size is a smart idea?

Personally... no. Just because something is possible, doesn't automatically mean it's a good choice.

I'd be aiming to chose a tire that where your rim width is close to being in the middle of the recommended range for the selected tire size. In this case, the factory 205/55R16 is the tire of choice. If I was then wanted to upsize on the width, I would only go one step more and this would be to 215/50R16.

With a 235/50R16, you are on the minimum recommended tire width. Even though you can still use this tire, I personally wouldn't be choosing it. Plus it's going to look really fat.

On top of that, you should probably consider the cost of changing tire sizes as well as the availability. Try ringing around and seeing how much a 235/50R16 tire is.

is this going on your corolla? lowered or not? stock rims im guessing? offset plays a part. think 235 is going to be too much

205 should be fine. however have seen people with 215 with no scrubbing issues either

But on that website, it say's I can go UPTO 235!

Diameter Difference: 1.51%

235/50R16

Does that mean these tires are fine?

Thats a 20mm increase...

I do not want to change my profile, as I found 50 to be very helpful in my 'trackday', as it seems to be able to hold the car to the ground more during the corners... & gives me a way better predictable corner...

235 wide tyres will not work on a 6.5inch wide rim ..... period ..... do the math ...... 6.5inches = 165mm ..... now does it work to logic that the rim can cater for an extra 70mm in tyre width ???? i think not ..... also you have your understanding of profile completely wrong based on the statement that sticking with a 50 series profile is best for you ..... the profile is a % of the width of the tyre so in ur scenario if u went to 235's the profile is 50% of that i.e. 117.5mm vs if u stuck with 205's = 102.5mm ..... so not the same ......

i think u need to re-read all the links people have posted up because based on what you have written it doesnt appear that you have understood wat was written .... also re-read the below

http://www.etyres.co.uk/glossary-tyre-terms?term=aspect-ratio

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#aspectratio

based on the 2 options u presented 215/50 or 225/45 i would stick with the 215/50's

1) i dont think the 225's would work out on a 6.5in rim ..... i know for my drag wheels the 7in rims i used were only just wide enough for 225's

2) 225/45 will put ur speedo out by 3.6km/h so speedo showing 100 ur actually doing 96.4 where as the 215/50 will only put it out by 1.7km/h so speedo of 100 = 98.3 actual speed.

3) based on the speedo maths and nothing else a better match up would be 225/50's as then ur speedo would only be 0.1 km/h off so its almost accurate .... however as stated above i dont think u would get 225's onto the rim safely and i think u might encounter scrubbing issues in the process .....

now i dont have any experience with the wheel well of the zre so i couldnt even confirm if the 215's are going to cause u any issues from a scrubbing perspective .... also if u lowered ur car that could play a part into scrubbing issues also.

hopefully thats some food for thought and yes it is my opinion so u have every right to disagree with it if u choose to

cheers

bill

• 4 weeks later...