Fog lights.

HIRO, you just backed up my argument. The legislation clearly gives 2 different sets of lights. My "driving" lights are exactly as described in the legislation and yet the cops fined me. Explain that??

And white light DOES NOT penetrate fog. Next time I drive to grafton at 1am i'll take you with me and you'll see what I mean.

i think if you changed your wording to "And white light DOES NOT appear to penetrate fog" we would all be saved a physics lesson :P

Maybe someone had better explain to the unmarked Ford Territory that Patrols up around Kilcoy that he should fine himself for driving around with his fog lights on at night, and slap himself in the head for sitting right up my ***** for 15 km on the way to Nanango one Friday night.

yes that is very much a case of Do as I say, not as I do - many police vehicles have the fog lights activated by default. However none of the road rules under any of the Transport Operations (road use management) act and any of it's regulations apply to Police in the course of an official duty. It was deemed that the use of fog lights was required as police required more light for the additionally expected awareness of their surroundings than the average driver. Ie for patrolling rather than for driving.

And the fact that you can't pull a Citizens Arrest on a cop for a traffic offense (AFAIK, at least in Tas), and cops take full advantage of this.

NSW Road Rules

This is an extract from the NSW Road Rules, but is the same in all states.

The driver of a vehicle must not:

(a) use any fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility

This extract should be posted out to all those people who think its cool to have that stupid red rear fog light lit up on their clapped out old shi* box hyundai excel when there isnt a hint of fog around.If youve ever cruised the F3 to Sydney and got stuck behind one youll know what I mean::::::::::::::::::: :angry:

NSW Road Rules

This is an extract from the NSW Road Rules, but is the same in all states.

The driver of a vehicle must not:

(a) use any fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog, mist or under other atmospheric conditions that restrict visibility

This extract should be posted out to all those people who think its cool to have that stupid red rear fog light lit up on their clapped out old shi* box hyundai excel when there isnt a hint of fog around.If youve ever cruised the F3 to Sydney and got stuck behind one youll know what I mean::::::::::::::::::: :angry:

Most of the time that is due to them accidentally hitting the switch and not realising they are on - from memory it is in a stupid spot and may or may not have a warning light on the dash (or the bulb has blown.....then again, idiots drive around for miles not realising that their indicators are still on, so anything is possible)