best subwoofer to go with my audio system?

hey all, can someone advise me which brand and/or type of sub i can put in my aurion? looking for a low power version which is good quality.

thanks.

You can pretty much put any sub you want in your Aurion. It all depends on yourself.

You need to be a little more specific. What are your goals? What type of music do you listen to? Is there a particular size sub you prefer (like 8 or 12 inch)? What do you define as 'low power'? Do you want it low power in terms of greater efficiency (more bass for less power) or because you mean you just want a sub to fill in what the normal speakers can't manage and don't want lots of bass?

And more importantly... what's your budget?

There are many types of subs out there depending on what you ultimately want out of it.

You can pretty much put any sub you want in your Aurion. It all depends on yourself.

You need to be a little more specific. What are your goals? What type of music do you listen to? Is there a particular size sub you prefer (like 8 or 12 inch)? What do you define as 'low power'? Do you want it low power in terms of greater efficiency (more bass for less power) or because you mean you just want a sub to fill in what the normal speakers can't manage and don't want lots of bass?

And more importantly... what's your budget?

There are many types of subs out there depending on what you ultimately want out of it.

mate, you're right. i would say that i prefer one thats takes up minimal space, so the 8 inch version would be ideal. when i said low power, i meant i want a sub that would add a good quality bass(not too much) to the music i listen to without make the car vibrate(im not hardcore!). my budget would be anything below $200.in saying that, do you recommend a particular brand at all?

Edited by seifer

mate, you're right. i would say that i prefer one thats takes up minimal space, so the 8 inch version would be ideal. when i said low power, i meant i want a sub that would add a good quality bass(not too much) to the music i listen to without make the car vibrate(im not hardcore!).

Well my own personal thoughts (I say this because it's a very subjective matter and people have their own thoughts) would be to stick with a sealed enclosure and if you aren't after a large amount of bass, then a well tuned 10 incher would work nicely, but for the size of the Aurion, I'd probably stick with a 12 inch. I personally wouldn't go 8 inch, I was just stating that to show differences.

Sealed enclosures are great for getting some quality bass but the only issue is that when you want to get some heavy bass, you typically need more power than ported enclosures. Since high SPL isn't your target, then a sealed enclosure would be perfect.

As for the size, 10 inches will give you some great response due to the smaller size but with the overall size of the Aurion, you may need that extra bit of push that a 12 inch sub will provide. As long as you have your box set up to the right volume, the difference in response between the 10 and the 12 shouldn't really be noticeable.

...in saying that, do you recommend a particular brand at all?

Brand wise, I would love to have a JL Audio, Rockford Fosgate, or Boston Acoustics sub and amp combo, but these would push your budget.

At the moment, I use MTX, and am quite satisfied with the quality, power output and price. But that said, I'm more after heavy bass than clarity. That's enough to keep me happy.

Hey Guys,

My Other job is sound engineering and designing lighting, so having inferior sound drives me pretty much nuts so this was an important area which i looked into for a quite some time when i changed the sound system over in my car.

I ended up going for some quality Rockford Fosgate 6x5 Component splits for the front and some Fushion 5x7's for the rear but Fusions top of the range Powerplant component speakers though not the cheapies you can buy at Supercheap Auto lol. AS for the sub i didnt look any further than VIBE - Vented innovative Bass Enclosure's which are a British brand highly regarded in other parts of the world and only just now becoming big in Australia. These products are easily as good other some other well known brands in Australia such as Rockford and have found their products to be perfect, Im not a massive fan of tonnes of bpottom end and you soon learn that whilst low frequencies are very important, its much better to have a balanced sound, it's all to possible to have to much bass. Id much prefer a nice tight bottom end than ranging bass that takes over. Things to remember is that a smaller size cone has a faster reaction there for a tighter bass but cant produce the deepest of low freq's. Another tip that we use a fair bit is instead of having huge amounts of bass which obviously brings a sub and amps to their limits quite quickly, if you dial the bass back down a bit then drive the sub harder you'll get a much punchier sub sound.

Edited by Adamsy

I can vouch for Rockford Fosgate subs & amps...they are a quality product. B)

also what type of music you listen to can determine what size sub or subs you should run...

I ended up going for some quality Rockford Fosgate 6x5 Component splits for the front and some Fushion 5x7's for the rear but Fusions top of the range Powerplant component speakers

AS for the sub i didn’t look any further than VIBE - Vented innovative Bass Enclosure's which are a British brand highly regarded in other parts of the world and only just now becoming big in Australia.

I know that speakers are covered in various other threads here, but can you post links to the specs for these speakers?

Cheers.

I ended up going for some quality Rockford Fosgate 6x5 Component splits for the front and some Fushion 5x7's for the rear but Fusions top of the range Powerplant component speakers

AS for the sub i didn’t look any further than VIBE - Vented innovative Bass Enclosure's which are a British brand highly regarded in other parts of the world and only just now becoming big in Australia.

I know that speakers are covered in various other threads here, but can you post links to the specs for these speakers?

Cheers.

yeah no worries mate.

Front Speakers: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=3&series_id=33&family_id=28&item_id=112892&locale=en_US&p_status=

Rear Speakers: http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/australia/car-audio-1/speakers-5/ppfr5720-46-product.aspx

Subwoofer:http://www.vibecaraudio.com/products/subwoofers.php

Hey seifer, where abouts are you from? i have an alpine 4 channel amp and 12 inch kicker comp vr sub that i've got sitting in my room that im willing to sell for 200 together. I really enjoyed the quality from the kicker, but being in a hatch, there's alot less space so there was much more bass. I just recently changed to a 10 inch jl audio sub for a much more balanced sound, so a i would go for a 12inch sub for the aurion. If you're from melbourne and interested then just send me a pm.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a solid good quality SQ sub, id be looking at an Image Dynamics IDQ v3 4ohm.

Ill be running 2 of the 10s but 2ohm when i get the 2nd one. Very nice subs, but they only need a small 1.5sq foot box.