getting ready for track day...

wat do u need for track day or how do u and ur car get prepared for it?

i am planing to go next month to wakefield. on the plan, i am planing to get

2 semi slicks for the front and a the front disc and pads changd to EBC sport rotors and EBC red stuff.... do u think the red stuff are any good?

also i need a helmet...

Firstly,

if you're gonna get semi in the fronts only i wouldn't recommend it... its would throw your grip off balance too much. (unless you plan to do sideways, then probably off the track...)

as for the brakes, in brisbane, with braided lines, new slotted rotors, new fluid, pads, blah blah.... would set you back from $1300 to about $2000+ depending on what you use.

if you are going to EBC, i would go for Red Stuff, but i'm sure there are pads out there that are more affordable and of similar standards.

(btw, don't be fooled by them telling you that they are dust free or have little dust...)

as for helmet, anything that looks like one with the aust. standard approval is good (enough) :D

Cheers.

Firstly,

if you're gonna get semi in the fronts only i wouldn't recommend it... its would throw your grip off balance too much. (unless you plan to do sideways, then probably off the track...)

as for the brakes, in brisbane, with braided lines, new slotted rotors, new fluid, pads, blah blah.... would set you back from $1300 to about $2000+ depending on what you use.

if you are going to EBC, i would go for Red Stuff, but i'm sure there are pads out there that are more affordable and of similar standards.

(btw, don't be fooled by them telling you that they are dust free or have little dust...)

as for helmet, anything that looks like one with the aust. standard approval is good (enough) :D

Cheers.

You forgot the following...

Camera mounted in the rear

Lots of water

Spare tyres

MATE TO HOLD EVERYONES STUFF IN THE BACK OF HIS SPORTIVO!!!! :P

Snorkle :P

Snatch-Em straps :P

Friend with 4x4 :P

wat do u mean that the semis will throw my grip off balance? so u think that semis all-round will even it out? its just a day out on to the track

i would like to noe, who uses wat rotor with wat pad? from DBA they only offer gold slotted rotors, i think....

BTW... my rims are black so it doesnt matter if theres dust.....

wat do u mean that the semis will throw my grip off balance?  so u think that semis all-round will even it out? its just a day out on to the track

i would like to noe, who uses wat rotor with wat pad? from DBA they only offer gold slotted rotors, i think....

I used to do a bit of track work when i raced the Sti...

Pippy is dead right... Use the same tyre all round. One day on a track is all it takes to KILL YOURSELF!

Sorry but its true. Motorsport is VERY dangerous and car balance will mean as much to your lap times and safety as the motor or brakes will.

If you want to get out there, spend the money on some semi slicks (be careful when they are cold though), good brake pads (Hawks or Pagid, never liked EBC's, personal opinion), some good slotted discs (not drilled) and a good helmet (the better the helmet, the more chance of not dying).

If you are doing a cams day with a club then you will also need:

Some tape for your front lights, a secondary bonnet strap and if you can afford it, a 3 point harness. Some clubs enforce the harness, others dont. You will also have to have a fir extinguisher within reach of the driver (you should have this anyway)

Seriously guys, i have seen some really bad stuff on the track. I have seen some very very good drivers make a tiny mistake and have been lucky to leave the track alive. I cant stress enough how important safety and the right equipment is.

oo.. i see... wow...  this is a private track day. so now its semi slicks all round, slotted dics and good pads

$170 x 4 = 680 (tyres)

Discs = ?

Pads = ?

wow expensive......

If you wanted to go down that path...

Run your street tyres or run 4 x semi slicks, not both.

Word of warning though, street tyres are made for the street, not for the track and you can easily round the shoulders in hard cornering. SomeThing like the Dunlop D01J semi slick is designed for the track and will last far longer than your street tyres. My first time out on a open track day, i ruined 4 x street tyres, cost me a fortune to replace the next day as i had rounded the shoulders so badly.

Got some track tyres specifically for the track and never had a problem again.

The better the pad, the more fade resistant which is your worst enemy on a track, but the harsher they are on discs. You can use the standard discs with an aggressive pad and get good bite and fade resistance, but more wear on the discs.

You could save your money and use standard pads, but you will spend more time off the track waiting for them to cool down.

Dont get sucked into marketing hype either of a good track pad with low wear, they dont exist....

As for low dust pads, dont get me started :-)

My comment on te discs were only if you were going to replace them.

Expensive... yes. motorsport is very expensive.

I am just offering my advice of doing years of track days... Its free if you want to use any of it.

Edited by Gipper

wat do u mean that the semis will throw my grip off balance?  so u think that semis all-round will even it out? its just a day out on to the track

too much grip in front won't help your rear stocks hold.... if you have GT3 or GT4... try it on that! :D perfect simulation... :D

DBA Gold don't come in our sizes, you're better off getting standards... and have them slotted... if not... get RDA, or just visit your local brake service place.... they'll answer all your questions...

oo.. i see... wow...  this is a private track day. so now its semi slicks all round, slotted dics and good pads

$170 x 4 = 680 (tyres)

Discs = ?

Pads = ?

wow expensive......

$170 x 4 = 680 (tyres) (Don't know what type you're planning but this seems rather cheap!)

Discs (rotors) = RDA/DBA Standard Slotted about $170/corner (i.e. 4 x 170)

Pads = again depending on what you use... from $60-$380 (each end) i.e. 2 x what ever.... front and end

its not cheap, and you forgot a few things...

Fluid (race DOT4 or 5.1) = $60~$150

Braided lines = $150~380 (again depending)

on top of that, there's labour....

$170 x 4 = 680 (tyres)

Discs = ?

Pads = ?

wow expensive......

$170 x 4 = 680 (tyres) (Don't know what type you're planning but this seems rather cheap!)

Discs (rotors) = RDA/DBA Standard Slotted about $170/corner (i.e. 4 x 170)

Pads = again depending on what you use... from $60-$380 (each end) i.e. 2 x what ever.... front and end

its not cheap, and you forgot a few things...

Braided lines = $150~380 (again depending)

on top of that, there's labour....

the tyres are Azenis RT215 from tempe tyres.

now the plan is just pads and tyres

thanks for your help

OK, firstly is this for the Circuit-Club tract day?

Secondly what mods do you already have...???

Circuit Club have an award for stock runners.

If you have a Sportivo, the standard break pads do not fade easilly, are extremely hard, but the discs have been prone to warping from seriously hard driving. For Circuit-Club it is more important to put one good lap together rather then a series (though this does help with flow) so you may not even need tyres either, depending on current condition.

Personally my fronts took a beating last time out at Wakefield, more so from incorrect tyre pressure though, I was running at street pressure when I should have upped the pressure to compenste from inceased softening and expansion from the heat of 'racing'.

I suggest running your car stock and then getting a personal view on what you feel needs changing according to your driving style.

But if you want to go to Semi's, do it!!! But do it all round, you don't want to unbalance the car, and also make sure they corrently balance the tyres when fitted, because if you find them out of balance on the track it is too late and you'll not only have an unsafe car but you'll wear out the tyres too fast. So test them out before you go and get a rebalance if required.

Everyone drives differently as far as breaking, turn-in, acceleration etc. I feel it better for you to learn your car on the track, know it's feel, and then make changes... Circiut days will come again, wasted money on un-needed components will not.

My personal view (shared with others) is that the suspension is actually more important to get right for the track at this stage then the brakes... But like I said, learn the car and get a feel for what you think needs to be improved!!!

Cheers

my 2 + 2 + 2 = 6 cents

Dylan

Edited by Blue_Stivo

You can get Motul DOT5.1 (dry boiling point 272*C) from Autobahn for $16 and Motul RBF600 (dry boiling point 312*C) for $32. I have used both of those in a non corolla and felt no difference between either.

(edit: those are prices for 500ml)

Also Ford used to make a really good heavy duty brake fluid (Im not sure if they still make it as i havn't looked around for it). It's part number is C6AZ-19542-AA and has a dry boiling point of 288*C.

It was originally developed so that the lazy Americans didn't boil there brake fluid as they drove along with there foot on the brakes.

Edited by SuperDave

Are semi slicks like the Falken Azenis RT215 street legal?

can't get anymore street legal than them. just watch out when it rains. they don't work very well :P

Yeh Shao, i was told they don't cope too well in the rain but its all hearsay, has anyone actually driven with these tyres in the rain? How bad are they really? But its not like it rains heaps here anyway, in Aisa i will be a little concerned.. Or maybe just not drive when it does rain :P

Wonder if the cops here in NSW will pull you over for having those tyres on though.. u know some of them can be a real pain in gut.. <_<

Are semi slicks like the Falken Azenis RT215 street legal?

can't get anymore street legal than them. just watch out when it rains. they don't work very well :P

Yeh Shao, i was told they don't cope too well in the rain but its all hearsay, has anyone actually driven with these tyres in the rain? How bad are they really? But its not like it rains heaps here anyway, in Aisa i will be a little concerned.. Or maybe just not drive when it does rain :P

Wonder if the cops here in NSW will pull you over for having those tyres on though.. u know some of them can be a real pain in gut.. <_<

they are street legal. i've been in a rex with them on a few times in sgp. as the tread wears down, they get even worse. in the wet that is.

Don't forget your scuba gear ;)

hehe - good to see you can still smile about it Mark...you were thinking the same thing I was...

You forgot the following...

Camera mounted in the rear

Lots of water

Spare tyres

MATE TO HOLD EVERYONES STUFF IN THE BACK OF HIS SPORTIVO!!!! :P

Snorkle :P

Snatch-Em straps :P

Friend with 4x4 :P