Front Suspension squeak

whitezr6

Hi

just needing some help on a suspension issue,

When I go over a bump/dip in the road I get a loud "squeak-squeak".

It doesn't happen all the time, rather only when I get a fair amount of front suspension travel like going slow over a speed bump(s)

It sounds like the squeak-squeak of the spring compressing and going back.

Hope I'm being clear enough.

I want to say its the bumpstops or spring mounts

I was hoping to take some grease and put it all over the bump stops and other front suspension components to stop some of the noise

or should i take it to the dealers/suspension place(pedders where i got it lowered on stock shocks) to get it checked out

Thanks.

have read this [sorry posted before i searched :(], seems a tiny bit common with pedders springs

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24021

Edited by whitezr6

Having come from a 4wd background, these sort of 'noises' were a weekly event that in most cases were a simple fix.

Arm yourself with an aerosol can of DRY lubricant, one of those ones with the little hose that lets you get into tight spaces.

Climb under the front end and find all the rubber / polyurethane bushes that secure swaybars, control arms etc and spray liberally in and around. Eventually you should find the cause and when you do don't apply grease !

Ever applied grease or oil to a bicycle chain ? Sounds great at first, but every bit of sand, dust, etc sticks to it eventually getting into places it shouldn't. Same for your car, grease will just trap dirt, mud and other crap into places where it'll just accelerate wear.

You should be able to get a bit of dry lubricant up into the spring seats, however I've never heard these squeek, just bump :angry:

have read this [sorry posted before i searched ], seems a tiny bit common with pedders springs

Springs are just springs, by themselves they can't squeek, possibly they replaced the upper spring locator when they did the original work with their own brand of CRAP :whistling: , wouldn't have thought so at such a young age.

Hope this helps..... :rolleyes:

Steve

Edited by mr_grumble2010

Arm yourself with an aerosol can of DRY lubricant, one of those ones with the little hose that lets you get into tight spaces.

Climb under the front end and find all the rubber / polyurethane bushes that secure swaybars, control arms etc and spray liberally in and around. Eventually you should find the cause and when you do don't apply grease !

Ever applied grease or oil to a bicycle chain ? Sounds great at first, but every bit of sand, dust, etc sticks to it eventually getting into places it shouldn't. Same for your car, grease will just trap dirt, mud and other crap into places where it'll just accelerate wear.

You should be able to get a bit of dry lubricant up into the spring seats, however I've never heard these squeek, just bump :angry:

hey mate

just with this one, if you were to lubricate the bushings that hold the sway bar (rear) in place, you are suggesting not to use grease? instead a dry lubricant of some type?

just curious as im wanting to re grease/lubricate the bushings that hold my rear sway bar in place... was originally going to hit it with some teflon based grease??

It's just an observation that I've made over the years, any sort of lubricant will stop a squeek, however a grease, like I said, will trap particles of dirt and grit on the surface your trying to lubricate. Imagine the net result over a year or two with the bushing containing a greasy, gritty lubricant, I'd expect your bushes to wear faster.

If your blessed with being able to get right to where you need to apply the lube, I use standard dry lube you pick up from decent bicycle outlets, usually costs around $20 for a small 100ml tube. Just shake the stuff (it's liquid initially) and throw a few drops around and smear. It soon dries and leaves a film of dry lube.

If you can't get right onto where you need it, then I have seen aerosol applicators. Same deal, spray, dry whammo :yahoo:

If you really really want to use grease, then just use a marine grease, it's waterproof and won't wash out with the first big puddle :blink:

Steve