Hand Held Satellite Navigation

elbowz17

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a mobile GPS Sat Nav system - a hand held unit similar to a PDA system.

Does anybody have one they're happy with or can someone help with unit info and features.

Thanks

:blink:

ive got a PDA i wana get rid of

i kno its possible to buy a GPS attachment.. but if any1 wants to start wit the PDA.. ive got one.

here's the PDA specs:

pda specs

here's the GPS add-on:

GPS add-on

and another more common one..

oh and price.. well retail in the US is $US750 (about $900AUD)

im willing to sell for half price and negotiate...

but yeh.. i dont have the GPS system..

I've got the Navman GPS 3450 for my PDA, so far it work fairly well, save me from getting lost a few times lol :P However the start up time is a bit slow, it doesn't work if you "can't see the sky" (eg: tunnel), and it can be stupid sometimes (eg: tell me to chuck a illegal U-turn on a freeway,turn right when I am on top of a bridge...) but for the price I pay ($250 from DSE) I guess that's acceptable.

I have a Leadtek GPS unit, works much better than my friends' Navman one. And it is compatible with most of the new PDA's. I also have a "long term trial" version of Destinator, the maps are from the last quarter of 2004, so it's quite updated. Works quite good...

The price is quite good as well, when compared to the other name brands.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

I bought a PDA holder to hold my PDA in the car, it has a built-in speakers and amplifier so I can still hear it in loud music :D

Nice setup I think, it takes me around Sydney most of the times

:lol::lol:

post-312-1119949748_thumb.jpg

How does this unit work KT?

Do you hard wire the GPS unit into the car in a hidden location and it syncs whenever the bluetooth device (PDA etc) is in range?

Or is it a removeable item that you have to take in and out of the car like the PDA.

To me carrying all this equipment around would be a pain. Sure you can leave portable stuff in the car if you like, but I hate stuff lying round where it can be seen and also move about when driving.

If this unit could be hidden under the dash or seat and hardwired into the car that would be ideal. Then whenever you turn the car on it fires up and syncs with your PDA if you've brought it on board.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought the Navman ICN510 over the weekend and it's pretty good.

the re-route is quite fast when I deliberately disobey turns. It’s slim enough to slip in the drawer on the centre console. I will never got lost again!!

I'ne done some research since I last posted this topic and I've found a unit by the name of 'Mio 168'. This system is a PDA unit with GPS capabilities.

It costs about $1000 from the shops, but the cheapest I've found it for so far is $849 from JB Hi-Fi.

It's a neat unit with a build-in antenna, mobile enough to carry in your own pocket and the box it comes in has so many accessories you won't need to buy anything else after-market. It has a car holder, in-car charger, wall charger (just like a mobile phone) and pre-loaded software all as STD features.

I've attached a Pic!

Elbowz

post-911-1122783557_thumb.jpg

don't go for these built in GPS units, they have bad sensitivity and are very directional. Rather get a bluetooth enabled IPAQ for about $500 and a bluetooth GPS receiver for about $200. It will work a lot better than this unit. Software wise, Destinator will work a lot better than Navman IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

For my set up, I bought a PDA holder that has a suction cup and it also has built in amplifier and speaker. The unit plugs into the cig lighter socket and keeps the PDA charged up for long trips.

• 1 month later...

ive got the NAVMAN ST software on My PDA. NAVMAN is the best software.

what i did is, i got the DELL PDA with bluetooth connection, then buy a GPS receiver then the software. all up costs me about $500aud which is cheaper than most other handheld GPS devices.... :D

noob question ..

where does one get these software from.. NAVMAN, DESINATOR etc... and how much do they go for ???

im quite interested in this kind of set up..

Do they work for country towns???... im in perth so when me and the mrs go for a trip say down south towards margaret river will it work??

i have ipaq 2210i with bluetooth, will that work with the $200 ebay unit u reckon.. ?? :unsure:

cheerrrs B)

software comes with the GPS reciever. The iPAC can have software loaded so it should work fine  .... I think....

no it doesnt. the Street Software doesnt come with the GPS Receiver! What comes with the GPS Receiver is this GPS software, which tells you how many satellites above you, how fast you're going, your altimeter, compass direction, Coordinates.

The Navman is probably the BEST you can get at the moment. im selling them at the moment so if anyone of you interested PM.

The Navman Software is $450aud. I have some other mapping software, i can make you a copy if you want.

Goodluck!

I disagree, I have used both Navman and Destinator, and I personally prefer Destinator, much better UI and better durections and also calculates the routes faster. and also, for Navman is more pricey as well, GPS receiver sells for less than $200 now days, and with a pirated copy of software, $200 is probably all you need to spend (provided you have a PDA).

software comes with the GPS reciever. The iPAC can have software loaded so it should work fine  .... I think....

no it doesnt. the Street Software doesnt come with the GPS Receiver! What comes with the GPS Receiver is this GPS software, which tells you how many satellites above you, how fast you're going, your altimeter, compass direction, Coordinates.

The Navman is probably the BEST you can get at the moment. im selling them at the moment so if anyone of you interested PM.

The Navman Software is $450aud. I have some other mapping software, i can make you a copy if you want.

Goodluck!

hold on.....pirated??? i thought you cant copy the NAVMAN SMARTST V3.0 :unsure:

yeah i think ive got the Navman SmartST 2005 mapping.

yeah Navman might be alittle bit slower to calculate, but Navman has better Graphic quality, you also can program it to detect FIXED SPEED CAMERA OR REDLIGHT CAMERA.

if you want me to send the map, PM tonight as i will be selling the Navman Software by this week.

Edited by leasaunce