05 sportivo

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at a couple of cars, sportivo included.

Honestly I wasn't overly impressed, probably due to too high expectations. I thought there was a lot of body roll for a sports model, and didn't feel much until 6000rpm (i personally thought there was gonna be more torque down low).

There was a bit of a dead spot on the brake pedal, and felt it was relatively spongy.

The gearbox was quite notchy. I missed a couple of shifts as I wasn't expecting to need much energy.

Driving position was good for me, though. Unlike the Clio 182 where the pedals were a bit too close for my liking, and you need ape arms to reach the gear stick.

Admittedly the car only had 79kms on the clock, so that would probably account for a couple of issues i had with the car. (Didn't like the turanza's either).

Having visited this forum, it seems that there are some concerns with the transmission aspects. I don't know what Toyota service is like but it seems that the best way is to essentially 'buy' your way out of the problems.

Would you still recommend the sportivo if you knew about these problems or would you steer clear personally speaking?

The sportivo fits my bill along with the sp23 in terms of practicality and performance although I'm yet to test the mazda.

your comments are most welcomed, thanks. (actually that's pretty much what i'm after.. hehe)

-Darren

Edited by evo

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the 05 sportivo for a test drive as well. And like you I was dissapointed after reading all the hype from these forums. I hit lift a couple of times which actually seemed a little weak compared to the 01 celica I had been driving around for a few weeks.

It's got bang for your buck thats for sure... but I felt it need that little extra 'umph' so to speak. Yes you can modify a car to get it... but hey... its nice to buy a stocker that has the right feel in it to begin with.

I couldn't get over the high pitch of the car. I noticed it majorly and really couldn't get used to it whilst I was driving.

However im sure once you get used to it and so on its a great little car to drive. I still love driving my ascent around time to time. But nothing beats my rex :D (well... apart from breaking the gearbox and having the car off road for a month to fix it :lol: )

In all honesty it depends entirely on how you wish to drive it. If you live inner city and don't get on to open roads much then the SP23 would suit you better due to the torque down low, but larger capacity, larger fuel bill!!! But if you want something that is adequite around the city but not blistering (saves on speeding fines, kind of) but is extreme fun when you open it up through the twisties and on the open road, get the sportivo.

My $0.02

thanks guys..

i am thinking along the lines of some entry level msports if i get the sportivo; and twisties.

any regrets buying the car? how much of a drag are the gearbox issues?

There are no gearbox issues. :lol: You misunderstood. I broke my gearbox in my WRX.

Set the sportivo up for good handling and I think you would actually get some very competitive times. There are plenty of parts available. TRD, whiteline and cusco (I think) to name a few.

With the new cars there are no real dramas from what has been posted on these forums or from what i've personally heard. The 03-04 models did have a few bugs in though.

Remember though.. the sportivo isn't water proof on a track so try to steer clear of any lakes :lol: (so so sorry ... just had to say it :P )

I've had no problems other then the gear shifting at high RPM from 1-2 which really is not that big an issue, just more of an annoyance, if it was too much of a problem I would have fixed it already.

The cars go nicely around Wakefield Park (a few of us are heading down on Thursday and if you are in Sydney or Canberra you are welcome to come along to see how well they do go on the track :D ) I am also looking to do a Duttons Rally in a year or 2 with mine, once I've got it all sorted and my CAMS licence sussed, for a bit of fun.

But for competition you'd be looking at upgrading the suspension and brakes anyway so should not be a big issue if the stock ones are not quite up to it. But be sure to check out the Citroen C4 VTS also though as they have Peugoet bits and pieces have been known to have electronic gremlins which are VERY difficult to get sorted, but a great car to drive none the less.

Enjoy the shopping though, and I hope you end up sitting in a Sportivo at the end of the day though, they really are a great car despite a poor rap in the press.

though.. the sportivo isn't water proof on a track so try to steer clear of any lakes  :lol: (so so sorry ... just had to say it  :P )

Marks car isn't a Stivo :P

but yea, lakes are a no no, but that's kind of a given :P

heyas..

i think the rex is reputedly known for its box issues but anyway..

i was referring to this thread:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=1284

but i guess that's about the 03-04 car.

one of the reasons i'm leaning towards a jap car is the relative cheapness and availability of parts, not to take anything away from the french.

sorry, but i'm in perth (should update the profile). :P

Mate i have a very fast car and driven very fast cars (ie 11 seconds cars) and am not talking crap... the lil Stivo is a weapon! if your after a good looking, modern, semi luxury all rounder that you wont get reemed for with insurance ect its the one, yes there are much faster cars out there and yep your can build a race car for 15 grand but remember to compare apples with apples. as far as issues go i had my clutch adjusted and the car is fine. around the track with better tyres you'll put **** on rexies which aint bad.

I think for a car thats $27,000 drive way price, there really isn't much to complain about. add a few modds to it (suspension, CAI and wheels) and you still have yourself a bargain. Also the insurance is cheap another factor to consider.

my 2 cents.

$27 d/awy????

hmm! i've been to big rock and city toyota in perth, and both have quoted me verbally 32 d/awy.

can't be 5k stamp duty and on-road costs can it? (I realise WA has the highest stamp duty, but it can't be -that- bad...)

trust me, i have bought 2 in the last month for friends both for $27,000 driveaway with floor mats.

you just need to haggle more and be firm. they need your business, not the other way round. they would rather make a small profit than lose the sale.

RRP is $28,990 plus on roads... but most of the guys here payed around $28-29 on road....

including myself..

mine was $28.5 with mats, free 10K service and carbon fibre (looking) rear numberplate insert.. and slimline plates

My brother has the Mazda 3 Sp23 sedan... his car handles a little better.. mostly due to the larger rims and low profile tyres.. but it isnt as fast as the stivo... Nor is it as roomy inside.. Driving posistin is very cramped.. IMHO

He loves driving my car.. especially now that i put an exhaust on.. Sounds so nice :) (CAI next)

The Sportivo very comfortably seats 4 big people.. and 5 smaller people

Gearbox issues are an easy fix if your car even has any issues... Just mention the fix that was issued by Jenny Stewart in Novemeber 2004..

Once that's sorted the gearbox is beautifuly smooth

If you have any other questions feel free to ask B)

Edited by MotoMan

$27 d/awy????

hmm! i've been to big rock and city toyota in perth, and both have quoted me verbally 32 d/awy.

can't be 5k stamp duty and on-road costs can it? (I realise WA has the highest stamp duty, but it can't be -that- bad...)

I'm in Perth too. You wont get much cheaper than 31-32k drive away here im afraid.

Apparently the scarborough beach toyota is one of the best to buy from in regards to getting a good price. I went to melville to look at a sportivo and they quoted me $32k with a really bad trade in price for an 01 celica.

*** knows why the dealers here are such tight *****'s <_< I had to argue for a couple of days just to get free floormats with my ascent when I bought it brand new. :angry:

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking at a couple of cars, sportivo included.

Honestly I wasn't overly impressed, probably due to too high expectations. I thought there was a lot of body roll for a sports model, and didn't feel much until 6000rpm (i personally thought there was gonna be more torque down low).

There was a bit of a dead spot on the brake pedal, and felt it was relatively spongy.

The gearbox was quite notchy. I missed a couple of shifts as I wasn't expecting to need much energy.

Driving position was good for me, though. Unlike the Clio 182 where the pedals were a bit too close for my liking, and you need ape arms to reach the gear stick.

Admittedly the car only had 79kms on the clock, so that would probably account for a couple of issues i had with the car. (Didn't like the turanza's either).

Having visited this forum, it seems that there are some concerns with the transmission aspects. I don't know what Toyota service is like but it seems that the best way is to essentially 'buy' your way out of the problems.

Would you still recommend the sportivo if you knew about these problems or would you steer clear personally speaking?

The sportivo fits my bill along with the sp23 in terms of practicality and performance although I'm yet to test the mazda.

your comments are most welcomed, thanks. (actually that's pretty much what i'm after.. hehe)

-Darren

Hi Darren, the issues occur in some Stivos and absent in the others and i will be honest with you about the gearbox, it isn't the smoothest/slickest shifting out of Japan. If you have driven a Honda you will know why i said that and for highly strung fwd cars like the Stivo, TypeR etc you need super-smooth/quick shifting to stay in the power-band (in the Stivo the gear ratios in 1st/2nd/3rd could also be closer), but compared to Nissans and Mazdas this 6 speed box is not bad.

Renault's Clio Sport has good go and grunt for a little car that weighs 150kg less than the Stivo. The Pug Gti180 also goes good down the straight and whips the stock Stivo around the bends but i would recommend the Clio over the Gti180 (personal preference) as it handles as well as the Gti180 if not better and has more grunt (some say its the TypeR killer!).

But the Stivo is good for its price, space, comfort and Jap quality, not to mention its banzai engine te french cars lack and if you like to rev (which was what i was after), this car will suit you perfect B) Mazda's SP23 is ok for looks but driving is more comfortable than thrilling. It is a great day to day runabout, not something i would classify under the "sports/hi-performance" category.

My few cents worth.. :D

oh btw i paid close to 33K for my car so don't feel bad if you are paying 31-32K.. i got over 2grand worth of extras with the car though..

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

the sportivo ****s all over the sp23.

the sp23s clutch is crap.the car goes ok but the clutch put me right off it.

the only other car i would recommend to drive is the subaru RS impreza has the same kw as the sp23 but has all wheel drive and much more comfy ride.

the only reason i went for the sportivo over the RS impreza was the power it had plus the fact it was a smaller engine and would use less petrol plus the tank capacity was bigger. other than that the RS was a fantastic car. its basicly a wrx without the turbo. anyway have a look and see what ya think. but its better the drive all 3 cars on the same day then youll know which one stands out.

the only prob with the stvo gearbox was that toyota wouldnt fix it. but after enough of us complained and sent emails, toyota looked at it and then fixed the issue and anyone thats had it fixed will tell ya that there are no more probs with theres.

Evo,

I too was in a similar position as yourself a couple of months ago. I'd been reading the forums here and really doubting the Sportivo as so many owners were having issues.

I too was going toward the SP23 but wasnt overly impressed by its performance which Mazda goes on and on about. It is definately a nice car, but at nearly 33k on road, it didnt really sizzle as suggested.

The sportivo enticed me with the precision built engine and long list of standard features (i'm a sucker for leather)

As for handling, a set of 18's with sticky rubber and lower ride height has improved mine 100%.

With all the extras (tint, mats, pedals, boot mat, dash mat, 18's, springs) its cost me around 30k.

Not bad for a package that is comfortable, somewhat luxurious, turns heads and outperforms alot of the more expensive options.

But as others have said, do your homework, drive them all on the same day and then make the choice that best suits you, your lifestyle and your pocket.

Edited by mick0082

phew. at least now i don't feel the pinch as much having to fork out 32k.

it seems half of the difference is 'dealer delivery' apparently and the other half is stamp duty and on road costs ($1403.10 + xxx)

the reasons i turned away from the Clio cup was the price (38k d/awy), the size (practicality) and the driving position (even at best wasn't ideal for me). I also don't know about the durability of the alcantara seating (synth suede).

the other car apart from the sp23 i am willing to try is the st170.

can i ask a silly question? in reference to the gearbox issues - how come there doesn't seem to be a similar issue with the celica when they are both using the same gearbox?

thanks for your comments, guys. really appreciate the feedback.

-Darren

there was a similar problem with the celica box but because of the types of people who buy it (hairdressers, sorry to offend those of you in the minority that actually drive your celica, but it's true) it went relatively unnoticed.

I also paid a similar price to Zee, but in Adelaide, with a long list of extras too :)

Edited by Blue_Stivo

there was a similar problem with the celica box but because of the types of people who buy it (hairdressers, sorry to offend those of you in the minority that actually drive your celica, but it's true) it went relatively unnoticed.

I also paid a similar price to Zee, but in Adelaide, with a long list of extras too :)

Plus women and there were quite a few autos. In the US Celica owners have experienced similar issues. Put a better clutch in and half the problem will be solved but the 6 speed as mentioned before is just not the smoothest or slickest around but 6 gears will always be better than 5 imho :D

It feels great around town and at half pace, but put it through full race pace and it can sometimes feel real baulky, mis-shifts crop up when you rush it (which i have done a lot :( - obviously its all the driver's fault :P ) but at half pace it feels great, the shifter is pretty stiff and doesn't move around much like some other manufacturers.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

after my clutch was adjusted the box is awsome!!!!

man i absolutly pound on the stivo and dosnt put a foot wrong and when i say pound i mean gear shifts that would mak a JatCo Auto behind a 900hp 13bT Jelous

*standard exageration factor may apply on previous comment* :lol:

Edited by mx83toy

it seems to me that everyone one came down to the sportivo and the SP23 as there final 2 cars to choose from as i was the same i chose the sportivo obviously as i felt it was way more sporty and it was alot more fun too

(hehe probably helped that the toyota car dealer was a better driver to so he showed me how to drive it properly lol)

i recoment to sportivo but ive only had mine for 1 week and im still in the drive in period so i havent really given it much well not often anyways i pad 28grand on road with 6years warranty and a free night at a novotel hotel

also in regards to clutch adjustments to help fix the box problem i wouldnt mind getting it adjusted now that way it doesnt give my box a chance to develop a problem what is it i need to get done exactly cheers guys

i think my mindset is leaning heavily on the sportivo (even if it wasn't an entirely favourable test drive), until some other car proves otherwise.

dunno about testing the impreza RS.. at least the sportivo is the top of the range compared to a car 3 levels down from the top (eg. getting a lancer instead of the evo).

i was exactly the same my first test drive was with some old bloke and i got in and drove it i didnt take the time to adjust my seating or the mirrors and i was warned not to do anything silly and keep to all speed limits so basicly all i did was see how the car cruised at 50kms for 5 min

i turned far away from it but then i decided to go to another dealer tell them whats going on and what cars im thinking of

they gave a me another young bloke little older than me to go on a drive with me

i took all the time in the world adjusted the seat and mirrors just as it was mine and gave it a good ahrd boot

well i did another u turn i signed up for it that day didnt think twice about the other cars

i was exactly the same my first test drive was with some old bloke and i got in and drove it i didnt take the time to adjust my seating or the mirrors and i was warned not to do anything silly and keep to all speed limits so basicly all i did was see how the car cruised at 50kms for 5 min

i turned far away from it but then i decided to go to another dealer tell them whats going on and what cars im thinking of

they gave a me another young bloke little older than me to go on a drive with me

i took all the time in the world adjusted the seat and mirrors just as it was mine and gave it a good ahrd boot

well i did another u turn i signed up for it that day didnt think twice about the other cars

hahaha i think that sums up alot of ppl's test drive experiance :D

lift...its a drug i tell you.....