Roof faling down

cosmichobo

G'day,

The lining of my roof is falling down in my 2000 Camry Conquest.

Wasn't helped by my 3yo boy poking it every chance he got.. but now the passenger side in particular is quite bad, and I know the cops will "get you" for this kind of thing...

What's your opinion on the best way to resolve this problem?

New ceiling from a wrecker? How involved is the process of putting a new ceiling in? I had a quick look, and think it'll be a pain in the ****... (also from having pulled the ceiling out of a Nissan 280zx... had to remove pretty much all interior trim!)

Glue gun? Just glue the hell outta the thing? My father in law went that route with a Mitsibishi wagon runabout... looked disgusting...

What would a professional do? What would they charge?

cheers & thanks

cosmic

PS I did try the search function... but got confused... Not familiar enough with this forum's software.

Where to start...just to let you know if you really want to go down the path to fix it properly, its not just a case of buying a new hood lining from a wrecker - because the car your getting it off is the same age as yours, hence it will happen again in a couple of months.

I did do a quick write up of this before when I did mine and if you would like I can do it again (with pictures if I still have them).

If your wanting a quick solution; get a staple gun wink.gif

Let me know which path you want to go down.

its about 200 bucks give or take to redo the roof lining from a professional shop...

Could cost you a little more with a sedan though, as the proper way to do it is to remove either the front or rear window to get the hood lining out...

It is a good DIY project to do, if you have the time, patience or if you can stand to drive without a roof for a few weeks if you have neither of those two.

if you have a full day where you dont need the car you can do a really good diy job for under $50.

I bought some headliner/carpet glue or somethin like that 2yrs ago and took the current material to a fabric shop and got pretty much the exact material and colour for $15 for 6 meters (epic cheap), $20 for the glue (online) and $12 for ultrathin foam (not sure if you need it if the material your using is thicker)

Pretty much remove the rooflining board thingy, be careful not to break it when taking it out of the car, clean off the rotted existing foam, spray on the glue(sprays out reasonably thick so one even coating should be enough, lay on new material and use a ruler or something flat to flattened it out so you dont get loose patches and your done.

Its a pretty vague description of what i did but rest of the stuff is common sense as your doing it youll know what your doing.

Dont do it if you need the car a few hours later or something as it might take longer than you think and taking as much time as possible will get the best result.

Owner sold the car a year after i did and it still looked factory new

Could cost you a little more with a sedan though, as the proper way to do it is to remove either the front or rear window to get the hood lining out...

Depends on the car, most of them you can get the headlining board out through the front doors - when I got mine done last year (for $200) the guy said that the only car he's had to take the windscreen out to remove the board is a Jaguar, every other one has been able to come out via the doors.

If you want it done properly, go to a few smash repairs and get a number of quotes.

Wouldn't bother with smash repair places, auto-upholsterers are the best place to go to (and they aren't exactly thin on the ground)

And the bonus with an auto upholsterer too is a better choice of materials/colours - I certainly know that the one here in Bendigo offers quite a large amount of choice within the same price range. So you're not stuck with boring grey again if you don't want it, although I guess that's what matches the dash and seats. Unfortunately a sagging roof liner is quite a common problem with the Camry, especially as they get on in years. If you plan on keeping it for a while longer best to do a good job on it, whether that means paying someone to do it or doing a really good job yourself.