Corolla Conquest Sedan or BMW E46 318i Executive

Both very reliable, the beemers are great. Thing is, you will get 10 years hassle free driving from the ZRE, but the E46 is right at its time of faults starting to happen, things wearing out etc etc.. As a beemer owner and lover, the amount of cash ive dumped on my beemer over the last 4-5 years could have almost paid for 1/2 of the car. tough call, they are really very hard to compare two totally different cars.

Yep, the cash we have to pay for BMW parts here is stupid. Luckily i have two cars and i order most bits from the US if i need them, even with express post from the US, most parts get here between 1/2 and 2/3 of the aussie cost. labor from my normal garage is around the 170/hour. They are all ex BMW trained and accredited tho..

Depends what you want from your car.

If it's cheap and cheerful, no frills motoring, the Corolla will do the job.

If it's luxury, refinement, badge cred and a RWD driving experience that do it for you, the BMW more suited.

Do you prioritise badge value, running costs, image, driving experience? Answer that and you'll know what car is suited to you.

Really mickwheelz?

Is a Corolla Conquest that much faster than the 318i? Wikipedia has the 318i at 9.2 seconds for the 0-100 dash.

The Corolla seems quite a bit slower:

Where the Corolla auto's flavour is awash with streaks of indifference, the stick-shift 'box enables the driver to kindle the car's spark of life, and even extract a modicum of zest. Next to the automatic's claim to accelerate 0-100 km/h in 11.1 seconds, the manual's 9.7-second journey seems positively exuberant.

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2010/small-passenger/toyota/corolla/toyota-corolla-conquest-and-levin-zr-19056

Besides, if people are considering cars like the Corolla Conquest or 318, I don't think straight line speed is the main aim ;)

Then there's also the matter of driving through corners ...

Really mickwheelz?

Is a Corolla Conquest that much faster than the 318i? Wikipedia has the 318i at 9.2 seconds for the 0-100 dash.

The Corolla seems quite a bit slower:

Where the Corolla auto's flavour is awash with streaks of indifference, the stick-shift 'box enables the driver to kindle the car's spark of life, and even extract a modicum of zest. Next to the automatic's claim to accelerate 0-100 km/h in 11.1 seconds, the manual's 9.7-second journey seems positively exuberant.

http://www.carsales.com.au/reviews/2010/small-passenger/toyota/corolla/toyota-corolla-conquest-and-levin-zr-19056

Besides, if people are considering cars like the Corolla Conquest or 318, I don't think straight line speed is the main aim ;)

Then there's also the matter of driving through corners ...

9.2 seems optimistic, having driven a E36 318i its definately not a fast car, cant imagine the E46 to be much better.