Pre-Facelift Smoke Tails no good on a Facelift :(

Had the new Graphite Levin ZR for 5 days now and I'm really enjoying it stock but I decided to get up early this morning and fit the smoke tails I bought from Dutchie a few months ago (yeah, I'm a sucker for being 'prepared').

Two problems, the first is that the facelift has a slightly different bulb configuration making a quick direct swap impossible. This obviously isn't a major problem but would need a few mods here & there. Second problem makes them a 'no sale' for the facelift ZRE in my opinion. The shape of the bumper is different to the pre-facelift and when these smokes are fitted they dont follow the same contours leaving a bit of a ledge exposed. Not too bad but not good enough for me ;)

Check out the before, after & 'fail' pics below (only one light replaced):

post-19613-0-58162300-1288993396_thumb.j post-19613-0-82692500-1288993416_thumb.j post-19613-0-17440100-1288993448_thumb.j post-19613-0-27527200-1288993473_thumb.j post-19613-0-59968900-1288993496_thumb.j post-19613-0-78885100-1288993510_thumb.j post-19613-0-03571700-1288993533_thumb.j post-19613-0-25006700-1288993551_thumb.j

Pity though, the colour is excellent and I reckon they look killer on the Graphite ! Oh well, time to start looking around for the facelift version methinks. Be careful if you're planning on doing something similar yourself OK. Make sure you get the correct version ! Dutchie did warn me of this but hey, someone had to give it a go :P

Anyone interested in a pair of 'as new' smoke LED tails to suit a pre-facelift ZRE either PM me or check out the classifieds section later today.

Steve.

Oh thats a pity Steve, I know we are both suckers for detail and fitment. The pre on facelifts vs the other way around is no where near as bad. If i was to use your or a new pair of facelifts, i have a big overhang. Spose, we could both custom the rear bar but thats gonna cost some big bucks. Buy the needed rear bar, slice and plastic weld the required bits, finish off and paint. Man, thats some effort.

Pity.

PS, i wouldnt expect to see any LED or smoked manufactured facelift tails for at least a year or more. Unless you DIY some! :spiteful::whistling:

Spose, we could both custom the rear bar but thats gonna cost some big bucks. Buy the needed rear bar, slice and plastic weld the required bits, finish off and paint. Man, thats some effort.

Um nah, sorry Dutchie. I honestly couldn't be ****d DIYing stuff like that on a car like this. Different if I was shaving the tail of a classic Datto Ute or something but definitely not for a Corolla used as a daily. If I can't buy it off the shelf or do a mod within a day then I don't think I could be bothered personally.

So, where do you get your fancy schmancy parts anyway ? C'mon, tell us :P

Steve.

what about putting a preface rear bar on?

+1 I was thinking exactly the same! The facelift bar on the pre-facelift has the exact gap (or bumper sticking out) just under the lights. Apparently it's not that hard.. plus, if you got the smoked tails in, you don't really need the facelift bar with the reflectors anymore.. :spiteful:

Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

I feel your pain!! those smoked taillights look awesome... but if it were me in this situation I'd possibly try putting washers on the lower bolts that hold the tail lights in place to assist the tail light in covering the ledge a bit more. not sure if this makes sense, but the washers could theoretically act like spacers that make your rims stick out just that little bit more. I own a 2003 1zz so I've got no experience with zre's, but it could be worth a try

actually forget that... just looked at the pics again..it's a pretty tight fit everywhere else except that ledge ay? sorry my advice probebly wouldn't help...

Yeah, good idea in theory but yeah, no good in practise I reckon. I've got rid of the lights now anyway so no worries. They did look good but I'll just keep an eye out for the new model and hopefully this time they'll also be full LED too, not just tails & brake lights.