ae92 help

Dj Watt

hey all,

It has come to my attention that my ae92 Rolla has just clocked over 306,000km which isnt bad for 19yrs old but not just that but the motor hasnt been opened yet.

now heres my issue.

everytime i start from a cold start i got a puff of white smoke (yes i know its burning oil) but every other time after its been run it doesnt. now what i am looking at doing is take the head off and get it recond new gaskets new timeing gear and water pump. but i am wondering if i can get a 20V for a 4a-fc and is it worth it while the heads of take the pistons out and put new rings?

as a 2nd yr going on 3rd yr apprentice mechanic it is easy for me to get the workshop keys and a hoist to do it. i just need to see if i am on the right track and get others comments and ideas on what i can do and i love this car very much.

i have attached a pic to let u know what i am working with :D

thanks

post-14232-0-44545500-1289371060_thumb.j

How about swapping for a 4A-GZE? :whistling:

Seriously, not sure about the 20V head, I'm sure it could be done, but the bottom end wouldn't be as good as the bottom end of a 4A-GE or 4A-GZE.

Also yes, while you have the engine apart, I'd be putting new rings on the pistons for sure, as the saying goes - "Do it once, do it properly"

PS Great looking example you've got there mate! :clap:

Edited by TroysRollaSX

Thanks troyrollasx, i have thought of that and did some research and went nar screw it. 1 it will take to long and 2 i could not be screwed doing that. i find there is more things i could do to the carby version to make it better and it is easier as i am trained up on carbies.

but i am also lookin at doing all the bottom end anyway so. i know i should get the whole motor worked but i need the car soon after as well.

but yeah thanks for all of that i am still open for more options

No worries mate.

I'm guessing it's manual already, yeah?

How about a cat-back sports exhaust system? May not increase power by much, but would help a bit I'd think, and would make it sound a bit better?

Hey bud,

yer already done that with a 2.25inch system with a set of drift pipes on the back. i have also heat wrapped the air intake and have done a speed dash over 4km and i have been able to make the speedo dial go off the guage but yer looking at pushing it more and boosting the compression ratio :D

and yer it is manual i aint gonna be lazy and seeing the autos go up ****s creek so yer ;D

dont waste your money doin your car up its nice n all but ive been there my corolla owes me 40G's if you want a fast corolla buy mine if you want a nice car just fresh up the motor and drive it other wise you just keep spending money it never stops

dont waste your money doin your car up its nice n all but ive been there my corolla owes me 40G's if you want a fast corolla buy mine if you want a nice car just fresh up the motor and drive it other wise you just keep spending money it never stops

thats the point in playing with cars and building one up yourself , it's called pride "Buy mine" ... i say built not bought. Who ever said your car was what other people wanted anyway?

I suggest the cheapest and most cost effective way of keeping your car and placing a fuel injected motor in , buy yourself an SX corolla thats smashed or in poor condition thats priced well for you then budget in the time and parts based on that.

This way you get everything , engine , box , wiring , ecu , rear disc brakes nice interior pieces etc. The most cost effective way to build a nice little fun car.

thats the point in playing with cars and building one up yourself , it's called pride "Buy mine" ... i say built not bought. Who ever said your car was what other people wanted anyway?

I suggest the cheapest and most cost effective way of keeping your car and placing a fuel injected motor in , buy yourself an SX corolla thats smashed or in poor condition thats priced well for you then budget in the time and parts based on that.

This way you get everything , engine , box , wiring , ecu , rear disc brakes nice interior pieces etc. The most cost effective way to build a nice little fun car.

ok say you do buy a wreak and swap stuff you can still run into wiring issues and sensors may be damaged not fun to look for faults when things arnt standard and when you remove things like wiring on cars which are 20 yrs old they get pretty dame brittle and any way even if he didnt like my car for my car

the engine is the 4age with much internal work done with after market ecu as it has a turbo on it

i have the gze transmission with mechanical LSD

bigger brakes and 17" alloys to go over them that will bolt on to the ae92 as i swaped all of this out of my ae93 seca and put in an ae102 seca

and if you swap it all you still have a self sense of achievement when you fire it up and all is sweet

thats why you make sure the engine functions in all conceivable ways prior to removal - hense my words " buy yourself an SX corolla thats smashed or in poor condition thats priced well for you then budget in the time and parts based on that." you will not have wiring issues if you transfer everything needed over , ive just done this on my AE82 and ive seen heaps of other guys do this on cars with no issues. My view is my view , yours is yours. The question was asked and we've both put our two cents in.

Cheers

thats why you make sure the engine functions in all conceivable ways prior to removal - hense my words " buy yourself an SX corolla thats smashed or in poor condition thats priced well for you then budget in the time and parts based on that." you will not have wiring issues if you transfer everything needed over , ive just done this on my AE82 and ive seen heaps of other guys do this on cars with no issues. My view is my view , yours is yours. The question was asked and we've both put our two cents in.

Cheers

fair call but as a 2nd going on 3rd yr apprentice i think an engine rebuild would be best option as most apprentice wont do an engine build you gain experrience you wouldnt normally get untill qualified a yr or so and there much more sense of acheivement in building and old engine and having it start fist go and having good comp and nice drivabillity and no smoke bla bla bla then you get if you just swap an already built engine my saying is a fitter makes things fit a mechanic makes things work (my old mans fitter)

very fair call indeed ... my perspective is that im self ( and friends forum etc ) taught and am a Baker which is about as far from any type of mechanical / fitment work you could get haha. But this is my hobby , i guess to someone in the industry their mind set on the whole subject would be totally different...

no better part of self achievement then when you open the oven door to that wiked fresh baked bread smell mmmmmm fresh baked bread

have done a speed dash over 4km and i have been able to make the speedo dial go off the guage

I really hope, seriously. That you crash your car next time you attempt this.

ouch.

but i'm pretty sure he did it on an abandoned airport runway :P

i agree with all the previous comments, much cheapers for you in the long run ;) good luck with it though :) i like old school rollas

good luck with it though :) i like old school rollas

I agree, good luck with it all, and I hope some of the conversation here has been of some help to you mate!

Any chance of any more pics and maybe even some video of your 'rolla? You should start a thread about it, I know I'd be keep to have a look and keep an eye on your progress with it :)

Here's mine, which I should update: http://au.toyotaowne...showtopic=29761

Edited by TroysRollaSX

good luck with it though :) i like old school rollas

I agree, good luck with it all, and I hope some of the conversation here has been of some help to you mate!

Any chance of any more pics and maybe even some video of your 'rolla? You should start a thread about it, I know I'd be keep to have a look and keep an eye on your progress with it :)

yer been looking in to that and looking at some old pics so i cna put my progress of the full gut drop i have done the different sound systesm i have put in and other bits and peices i have done to it and there is so much more to do to it :D lol

but i am looking at getting the guys that will machine the head to make the intake ports a bit bigger and shave about 1 maybe 2mm off the head to boost compression but also use Castrol GTX Pro2 20w50 oil that helps with the compression now. replacing rings con rod sleeves tapit cover, change the mechanical water pump to electirc one and mod the air intake to force cold air in and heat wrap it and heat wrap the exhaust mani when it is off. but also run a 70 to 30 mix in the coolant as the conrentrate i use 1Ltr makes 15ltrs :D

so bit to do

i have just made one :D

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30469