paint brake calipers

saintz01

should have attempted this some time ago...but finally it's done :rolleyes:

took me half a day to do all four corner...even had to use a torch to see what i'm doing cos it got too dark outside... :(

anyway here's a pic of it post-75-1120650217_thumb.jpg

cheers northy and craig for the tips :D

well here's what i did:

1) make sure the brakes are cool

2) jack up car and remove wheel (follow manual as per changing flat tyre)

3) give the brake caliper a good scrub to remove dirt/grime/grease. i didn't get a degreaser (...to save cost...i'm broke at the moment...) but i highly recommend it to save yourself some troubles later when painting. rinse the caliper and allow to dry.

4) prep the area around the caliper with tape and newspaper to prevent paint on any area other than the caliper.

5) give the caliper an even first coat, then more coatings as you desire.

6) allow to dry, peel off the tape and paper and there you go.

7) repeat for other wheels.

go to this site, it's got pics with step by step guide:

http://www.2003corolla.org/diy.php?diy=3

i used VHT brake paint for mine. another thing is take your time, don't rush the job.

g'day,

it looks nice and groovy, but it would be much better if you spray a hi temp clear top coat on the base color to make the color lustrious. mine is already in the pipeline will paint it red and had some left over of hi temp clear coat when i seal coat my exhaust manifold when i put thermal wrap around it.

rey t

yeah...i was going to take out the pads and stuff...but aint got the slightest clue how to... ;) sorry guys...still new to the DIY stuff....learning learning... :rolleyes:

high temp clear coat? hm...didn't think bout that idea...might do that next time i decide to redo the calipers or add a coat of red on it (...the hue i got is dark orange...red's outta stock :( ...but the end result seems ok)

I also painted the whole assembly on my first effort.

Then I took the time and effort one day to remove all the components and do it properly. I must admit it looked ALOT better!!!!!

E - I did sportivo rice's calipers in yellow and he has a black car and its funky.... ;) we were going to do it in 'bling gold' but I couldnt find any paints that would work for us :(

Yellow is cool, that's what I'll do mine with when I actually decide to go to the effort of taking my wheels off and doing it!

Maybe later.... :D

i wanna do mine as well but damn.... i am just so lazy.... lazy i tell ya...

Yellow is cool, that's what I'll do mine with when I actually decide to go to the effort of taking my wheels off and doing it!

Hey Carlo, let's do our calipers together. We can share the paint and do it together. More motivation to do it that way.

Hey Carlo, let's do our calipers together. We can share the paint and do it together. More motivation to do it that way.

Id be up for a melbourne caliper painting session too B)

• 4 weeks later...