Cluster!

Hi Guys,

Kelvin due u have the new stivo or another model corolla ?

Teknoman i am assuming urs is a post face lift. Dare i say for ur sake i hope it isnt the gear selector cables issue. Check out the window suspision but if it is coming from behind the cluster sort of around the deck or even as low as the storage compartment under the deck then maybe u could be victum of this. But i was of the opinion that it was fixed in the new car.

Get toyota to check it out

cheers

Bill

no i don't think its the gear selector cables rattling, was more like wind was getting into the car as such, friend was in the car with me and that's what we both thought

Edited by Teknoman

u know what it might be.... inside the electric mirrors there is like tape/sticky plastic which should have been removed when the car car detailed... I have no idea why its there but they forgot it on my car and yeah while driving along it sounded like it was letting air into the car ..... see if u can take a look around the power mirrors.... move them all the way down look behind them and all the way up and look underneath also look at the sides .... I cant remember exactly how many their were as it was over a year ago

hi bill, i am having the post face lift. Got it 2 weeks ago.... the rattling only comes on when you drive pass bumpy roads, but it is perfectly fine on smooth roads...if you get what I mean....

Anyway, cheers!! you guys are fast in response :)

hi bill, i am having the post face lift. Got it 2 weeks ago.... the rattling only comes on when you drive pass bumpy roads, but it is perfectly fine on smooth roads...if you get what I mean....

Anyway, cheers!! you guys are fast in response :)

I got the same problem, too. :( when driving on bumpy roads. The noises are from somewhere behind the audio, some bolts maybe.

Anyone got it fixed?? :rolleyes:

doesnt surprise me that there are rattles from the cluster as when i got my selector cables changed they obviously had to pull my whole dash apart. The only good thing that came of that is i think they must have tightened things a bit more when putting it all back in as i did notice a few annoying rattles disappear.

I reckon these are the worst types of rattles to diagnose as nothing short of pulling it all apart and putting it back together again piece by piece and making sure its all tight will solve this.

Also before u go screaming back to ur dealers to fix this just thought i'd let u know rattles are NOT covered under warrenty as i found out.... And if the dealer spends any time with u trying to resolve ur issue its simply out of customer service and satisfaction that they are doing it ...... But if u get the cold shoulder dont be surprised.

Just to add to all this, a dealer should act on any reported rattles provided the dealer is notified before or at the 1000km service.

Also, I was hearing a rattle down near the coin holder etc in mine on most surfaces. After studying closely while driving (a girlfriend held the wheel) I found that it was only the keyring. So look for these sneaky ones first.

Also keep in mind that any cars that have had thier windows tinted have obviously had their door trims removed. I have 2 small rattles behind my front door trims which i suspect may have been cause by the tinters not putting something back properly.

They also left my drivers side rear power window switch unplugged.

Just some food for thought.

hi... i am just as suprised... when i took the car for tinying at tint a car, i ask them if they would remove the door cart...

they simply say it is not necessary...thats why they are better :(...

i gave them a smile and i observe the whole process of the tinting, they do not remove it at all.....

Hmm.... thats what i call precision...:)

took my stivo in for her 1000km service yesterday morning and told them about the rattles, they said they tightened everything behind the dash cluster but the rattle still returns when i drive on bumpy roads (although not as bad as before), so i've nailed it down to the plaster cover in front of the gauges as a few have mentioned above... there is no rattle if i hold the cover down while driving so it must be it... should i tell toyota? or is there something i can do myself to fix it

Edited by Teknoman

ive got that noise too. Toyota probably wont fix it. I stopped the rattles in my doors by duct taping basically the whole door. Just duct tape down anything that moves (wires plastic bits underneath the trim), I know it sounds crazy but it works. I think i used like a whole roll. Hope this helps.

$2 duct tape = no vibrations and rattles

Edited by ZAV

Diagnoses

Firstly, if the rattles happens when you accelerate hard and mostly when you hit lift, yes I am afraid its the gear selector cables.  This issue plagues both pre and post facelift models.  It has not been resolved, as most people think or assume with the post facelift model it was fixed.  With the post facelift models, the process of fitting them has been improved, thats it, therefore less cases reported and issues.  This method is used when the pre facelife model has the voluntary recall to have this resolved.

Secondly, if the rattle happens when your cruising or bumps, then its a different issue.  I have had this problem, and it has been rectified.  It is a plastic bit in the center console on the passenger side that requries dentoning and re-fixing, that's all!  It seems it coming from the driver side, but its not.  I will get pictures and describe how to fix it when I get my hands on the digi-camera soon.

L8tr

LEGEND!!!!!!!!!

cant wait for pics...please post inthe workshop area when you get the pics :rolleyes:

Yep have this problem also. Mostly fixed with turning the radio up a bit :)

It esp happens when I occasionally drive to Kingaroy due to the bumpy roads on the way. I also had a bit of a look for it as I thought it was coming from around the coin holder area but I too realised that that particular noise was from my key ring.

Although I do have another rattle that seems to be coming more from the center of the dash. Can't wait for the pics, hopefully it will fix the problem :) :)

My 04 Rolla also suffers from the same issue, it also sound like its from the passenger side... i think my windows ratle too..how annoying......

Its good to see all us boy so united with something incommon.......

Your Beast Toyota Corolla hahaha

:lol: :P

Man this is so weird as now since im actually paying some attention to this problem i can hear it any more i.e. the gear selector cables rattles..... Maybe ive gotten so used to it that its just honed out from my hearing ..... or its fixed ..... Fat chance though i bet it happens again while i drive home this evening.....

Guys, have a look at the Rear Number plate if you've got the seca

Yes the rear number plate, if you've got one of those dealer plastic "jackets" on it that could be it, but in general the plates are only held by 2 screws on top, so when u hit a bumpy road. the bottle will rattle, how to fix it? Blue tack in between the car and the bottom of the plate

hi... i am just as suprised... when i took the car for tinying at tint a car, i ask them if they would remove the door cart...

The place I got mine tinted is the same. They don't remove door panels or anything. They said it's way too much hassle and it's not necessary.