2010 'rolla cartrige oil filter....special service tool..??

ganyb

Hi all..just got the new oil filter cartridge , all set to go, when reading the fitting instructions, it says I must use s "special service tool".

Has anyone DIY changed their filter yet, and is it possible to do this without having to buy this tool...??? and if so what did you use to remove/replace the filter canister...?

Thanks fellas...

...K checked on ebay, seem to be some on there about $25 ...next question .. can anyone confirm if 64mm 14 flute to be the correct size for the new canisters...if not what would the correct size be..??

thanx for any help.

..well just bought one on the 'bay from a seller in NZ, 65mm is the size, and it was $23.40 incl postage.

I CANNOT BELIEVE..!! that Toyota have done this, the actual canister is made from PLASTIC ! not metal, if the perfectly fitting tool is not used, the edges of the 14 sides can easily burr over possibly making removal or replacement eventually impossible.

Also the parts dept at my local dealership, said replacement takes their workshop twice as long and that actual cleaning of the inside of the canister is very important ( I wonder how many wont bother to do this, or even wont bother to change the filter at all.?? )he also said it was a cost cutting exercise, although Toyota are spinning it as "more environmentally friendly".

..cant believe I've just completed a whole thread just talking to myself..! :lol: all good but..

I'm confused, what is an oil filter cartridge? and plastic? I've had a quick look at my oil filter before but it looks like a normal metal screw on type, have I missed something?

I have one service left till warranty ends then I'll do it myself so I better investigate I think..

I have a genuine filter removal tool for my 4AGE filters which I thought may fit the ZRE and it was a perfect fit for the Valvoline replacement too (Z386)

I'll check if it fits the ZRE

I'm confused, what is an oil filter cartridge? and plastic? I've had a quick look at my oil filter before but it looks like a normal metal screw on type, have I missed something?

I have one service left till warranty ends then I'll do it myself so I better investigate I think..

I have a genuine filter removal tool for my 4AGE filters which I thought may fit the ZRE and it was a perfect fit for the Valvoline replacement too (Z386)

..mid 2010 ZRE's, Toyota went from the no-brainer spin-off/spin on steel filter (yours) to a plastic housing (mine) containing a paper oil filter (04152-37010), you were lucky enough to have the pre plastic one..

Edited by ganyb

..mid 2010 ZRE's, Toyota went from the no-brainer spin-off/spin on steel filter (yours) to a plastic housing (mine) containing a paper oil filter (04152-37010), you were lucky enough to have the pre plastic one..

Thankyou for clearing that up, I had no idea,when you change it could you post a pic of it,only if you can or remember.

Cheers :)

It's the same tool thats used on the Aurions and new Klugers...

Make sure not to overtighten the filter housing as it will become impossible to remove the next time you try... Depending on your special tool, I use a 1/2" bar to remove the housing and a 3/8" ratchet to tighten...

It's the same tool thats used on the Aurions and new Klugers...

Make sure not to overtighten the filter housing as it will become impossible to remove the next time you try... Depending on your special tool, I use a 1/2" bar to remove the housing and a 3/8" ratchet to tighten...

Tks for that Ben...I'll be sure sure do as you advise....tks mate..

Thankyou for clearing that up, I had no idea,when you change it could you post a pic of it,only if you can or remember.

Cheers :)

Hey, I believe (saying believe because I'm not too sure what you mean by plastic and all) it's 2009 onwards ZREs. I know mine has paper oil filter and is different to 07 and 08 ZREs.. :huh:

In terms of the design, I actually must say that I quite like it. I prefer it over the typical canister type that we are all familiar with. When used correctly, it results in less mess because you can drain the oil filter prior to removing it. As well, the o-ring seal is superior (in my opinion) to the traditional oil filter seal.

But plastic? That sounds quite dodgy. If that's the case, I wouldn't be satisfied with the design. The metal one used on the Aurion has a couple of tabs on the top which when put together with a little creativity, can be removed without the cap style oil filter wrench. I've managed to remove the one on my last Aurion several times, and my new one a few times without the proper tool and have not put a single scratch in it.

I'd be curious to see a photo of this plastic version your car has.

dsc05577x.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, my 4AGE filters do fit my ZRE, good thing I kept them :D