Should I be worried about this on stivo?

It's been about 3 weeks since I got the car and I'm happy with it except that it makes some sort of metal scraping noise when slowing down. It also seems to make that noise when moving from stand still. I'm taking the car in tomorrow for 1000km service and I've told them about the problem. Should I be telling them about something more specific?

I hope it can be fixed if it's not normal for the car to make this noise.

hmmmm i dunno wei wei the exhaust hitting the shield would make a metal hitting metal sound if u know what i mean .... I have the exact same sound its like a grinding, metal spinning on other metal sort of noise ...... looks like they havent fixed this little issue with the post face lift......

Out of curiosity wei wei at what point on the exhaust did u notice that it has hitting the heat shield?

would also like to know the same...

is your noise just at the engine stall point? when taking off?

I took mine into toyota.. they had it from 7:30am till 5:30pm.. said they adjusted the exhaust somehow? no idea how.. also blamed the fact that i had an aftermarket muffler.. They said it causes more vibration than the stock muffler... :rolleyes:

Noise is still there though.. maybe a little less dramatic now..

If i can find where its rubbing ill fix it myself... either that or bye bye muffler :(

^^^ yup that looks bout right !

i just took it into toyota and told em that my exhaust was perhaps hitting the heatshield.....they took it away for a couple of hours n came back to me n said that they just re-adjusted the heatshield (in other words just bashed it till it would'nt touch the piping :lol: )

but yer drove away from the service centre n problem gone :D :D

Certain batch of Corolla Sportivo the brake shoe is sitting too close to the disk. So the noise is from there. The noise should be disappear after the car had been warm up. The noise will disappear after about 2500km, or if not tell them to remove your brake shoe and readjust tje clearance again.

AlphaC.

The Sportivo doesnt have drum brakes, therefore no shoes. I know what you mean though. Your talking about the clearance between the brake pad and the disc.

I have this problem. Sometimes when i'm slowly driving out of the garage I can hear the pads scraping on the discs.

Also:

When I am at a standstill (traffic lights etc) i release the brake and the car rolls forward the front discs give a very quick abrupt howl. It sounds like its when the caliper is letting go of the disc. This happens even when the brakes are warm/hot.

Anyone else have this one?

The Sportivo doesnt have drum brakes, therefore no shoes. I know what you mean though. Your talking about the clearance between the brake pad and the disc.

I have this problem. Sometimes when i'm slowly driving out of the garage I can hear the pads scraping on the discs.

Also:

When I am at a standstill (traffic lights etc) i release the brake and the car rolls forward the front discs give a very quick abrupt howl. It sounds like its when the caliper is letting go of the disc. This happens even when the brakes are warm/hot.

Anyone else have this one?

the handbrake is a drum brake. lives in the cylindrical looking thing and is part of your rear disc.

yeah i have some sort of noise i actually thought it may be from the gearbox

lol everyone saying **** major problems there but i cant explain it the car drives fine and goes hard

i can hear it most the time when down gearing maybe its just the niose the motor makes as im not used to these motors but it sounds funny to me

its lik a rapid rattle or a small scraping niose so yeah any help there

yeah i have some sort of noise i actually thought it may be from the gearbox

lol everyone saying **** major problems there but i cant explain it the car drives fine and goes hard

i can hear it most the time when down gearing maybe its just the niose the motor makes as im not used to these motors but it sounds funny to me

its lik a rapid rattle or a small scraping niose so yeah any help there

Hey Justin, your might be gear cable rattles. Check out the other topic. Its an easy fix with 3 cable ties, i had it done before when my car was new.

I had the scraping on down changes too for a little bit, havent noticed it lately though.

It used to stop as soon as I put my foot on the clutch then return when I let it out.

I'm not getting the 1-2 shift issue over 6,000rpm though. It is more difficult to shift but not impossible.

yeah thats exactly right i hear it down gearing goes away when i put the clutch in but comes back when i release it again so do you or anyone know exactly what this is

i also only hear it sometimes mostly at night actually when its heaps cold

cheers guys im getting my first service tomoz i wouldnt mind going in there knowing exactly what it is so i can say hey this is whats happening now bloody fix it lol

Edited by evl_50a

cheers guys im getting my first service tomoz i wouldnt mind going in there knowing exactly what it is so i can say hey this is whats happening now bloody fix it lol

I just got my car back from service today and I raised the issue again with them. I get the same scraping noise when gearing down which I posted numerous topics dating back more than a year ago. I also get a rattle/sizzle noise when accelerating. It's been raised about 10 times at 2 different dealers and none have a solution. The final comment was ....................."characteristc of the car!"

Guess I'll have to deal with it <_<

Goodluck with getting urs fixed ;)

i had the issue happening 100% of the time now its on and off.... glad its more off than on now.... I have no idea what it is /what it was..... All i know is toyota changed my clutch and that fixed it for 2 weeks then it came back and they said it was my driving that is causing this issue so they aint gonna look at it again :angry::angry::angry::angry: so i just went and got a clutch n flywheel..... Now as i said even with the new stuff in there is comes and goes.....

As indicated its when slowing down/engine braking.... If i engage full clutch noise goes away ... release clutch noise is back....

All i know is i got intermitenant issues with this and the gear selector cables and as both are not impacting performance and are drowned out by my radio i just couldnt b f'ed going back to toyota to get them looked at......

Hey i had this very problem when i first got my corolla here in the uk, I beleive on the uk forum it was put down to the clutch, and something to do with certain materials the diaphram springs were made of or something similar i forget!, if toyota replace the clutch, they just replace it with one that will eventually get the same problem.

On my own car the noise came and went, and when i took it to the dealer, it was one of those days when you couldnt hear it, and the guy wanted my to drive it with him in it, but we were in traffic so there was no way he could hear it, very annoying! I gave up and the noise has gone away for now. It apparently is not a big issue, other than the noise that is.

Try looking on the uk toyota owners club, there is a big thread on it there in the corolla section.

i had the issue happening 100% of the time now its on and off.... glad its more off than on now.... I have no idea what it is /what it was..... All i know is toyota changed my clutch and that fixed it for 2 weeks then it came back and they said it was my driving that is causing this issue so they aint gonna look at it again  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  so i just went and got a clutch n flywheel..... Now as i said even with the new stuff in there is comes and goes.....

As indicated its when slowing down/engine braking.... If i engage full clutch noise goes away ... release clutch noise is back....

All i know is i got intermitenant issues with this and the gear selector cables and as both are not impacting performance and are drowned out by my radio i just couldnt b f'ed going back to toyota to get them looked at......

Same as Bill said.. i think mine is more the selector cables as it was fixed before. Will update all of yous once i've done and will post some pics. In the meantime turn up the radio..

The problem i think some of you guys are talking about is what toyota call JARRA noise. Its a noise in the gearbox caused by backlash of the gears turning which is mostly noticeable during downchanging. i realise that having excessive backlash will cause gear damage and premature failure, but toyota has not acknowledged this as a problem. so relax guys my car does it aswell. so if im not too concerned about it, i dont think you guys should be either. i understand it is so bloody annoying but there is basically nothing to be done about it, its just the way the box is made. thanx for listening, or reading even. ha

hmm sounds like it could be a normal thing it happens to me only when i drive at night in the cold unless i just dont notice it during the day who knows but it is sooo annoying down gearing and accelerating just sounds wrong

anyways i guess even if its normal im gonna keep getting out of them what i can cus anything they do will be nothing less than a slight improvment so i guess i might enquire about it real soon

When I took the car in for 1000km service, the guy just told me all he could hear was air intake noise, so I didn't even bother arguing with him since everyone seems to have the same 'problem'. I think I'll just accept it and move on. If it's a real problem, I'm sure something will break before my warranty expires.

OK the scraping noise may be normal but I have this rattle/ sizzle noise when accelerating from 2000 RPM onwards all the way to 6000RPM. It sounds like a pinging noise but I know it's not pinging. It's getting louder and louder. Toyota took a look at it and they say it's characteristic of the car.

This noise was apparent before but it was fixed ages ago. Now since getting the gear selector cable replaced again the problem came back. The last time the problem was with a rubber seal related to the gear selector cable that was not secured which cuased a vibration. This time I advised the warranty manager of this and he says that they checked it all and said it was all good....."characteristic of the car". :blink:

So now I'm stuck with this sizzling noise. :(

to be honest with you i bet they know what it is but they must also know its no big deal so they just dont wann keep fixing them so they pretend they cant find it

thats what i reckon anyways