YN85 will not start or stop

Rumbo

Hi the worst problems to have, and I have them both, yay.

Sometimes when I turn the key, nothing happens, but if I turn the ignition off and back on a few times, it will start fine. Is this a sign of the starter motor packing in, or a loose connection somewhere and how would I test this? I am thinking that it is a starter motor and it only started to happen after a water crossing approx 1/4 up the door.

Also every now and then, about twice in 30 mins or so of driving, my Brake light will come on, I don't lose any braking and the feel of the pedal doesn't change. The Master cylinder tank is full and has always been full so I don't believe that air could enter the system. What could cause this? Again it started to happen after the water crossing.

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is my work ute and unfortunately work is important.

More problems to come I'm sure.

• 3 months later...

Gday

First have a look at the teeth on your ignition key they maybe a bit thin, if so try anoher key.

If you turn the key and you can hear a clicking sound from your starter motor, its not the key it is the starter motor and solinoid.

Water crossings should not mess with your starter motor, but mud or dust may get into your starter solinoid. So pull it off and see what state the teeth are in if they are shiny and smoothed over, replace the whole unit.

As far as the brake light coming on, if there is no difference in pedal pressure it probly is a loose wire on your mastercylinder or the globe maybe loose, where it goes into the dash.

you dont say what model hilux youve got..if you drove thru water and the problems started after this then moisture is probably the cause

of youre issue..firstly check the battery terminals make sure theyre clean and tight and earth to body ..with the starter do you hear a click when you turn it over,if so its the solenoid,if its got an external solenoid you need to check the cable from the battery to starter connections to make sure theyre tight,if its pre engaged ,solenoid internal to the starter,take it off the vehicle pull it apart and clean the actuator and terminals or replace with a recon/new unit

the brake light problem couldbe the switch on the rear of the pedal,either water is shorting it out or mud and crap in it is making it sticky

good luck...wheres the thumbs up emotion on this site..