What to look for when i Buy a 05 Sportivo

Hey Guys,

Im new to this forum cos i was a mad honda fan....

But honda dont have any good 4door cars.....

Anyways.... i'm looking at a 05 corolla spotivo tomorrow with around 100Klms on the clock....

WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT WHEN I CHECK THE CAR OUT??...

Besides REVS, etc.....

Is there any way to check if its a proper sportivo by looking at the plates on the car?

Any problems known too see if the current owner has thrashed the **** out of it?

Thanks heaps!!

Rico

To start with, to tell a proper sportivo make sure it has the 2ZZ engine. If you don't know how to distinguish that from the standard 1ZZ that comes with the normal ZZE corollas start looking it up. Also the engine number should start with 2ZZ.

Someone else might like to take over now as I'm not that clued in to any inherent problems with the car. I'd just say make sure it doesnt leak oil, coolant, run a compression test, etc etc. Usual stuff when you buy a used car.

Happy hunting :)

Sportivo:

-6 speed manual ONLY

-2ZZGE has a metal intake manifold (1ZZFE manifolds are black plastic)

-Aus model has full climate control with silver patterned centre console.

Things to look out for:

-Check to see if the shift linkage cables rattle

-make sure it revs to just past 8k

-check to see if the clutch has been adjusted. You can do this by trying a 1st to 2nd gear shift at high rpm. If it crunches or doesn't go in easily then it has not been adjusted.

Heavy duty clutch usually fixes the gear change problem, like my car, yes full climate with silver covers in centre console, like my ice box of a car lol, would more then likely be selling march.. :)

service history is always an important part, to ensure regular oil changes, especially for the 2zz.

also listen for funny/abnormal noises coming from the tensioner pulleys (this is reknown on the 2zz corollas) and also electrical components, such as the power window regulators, erratic ambient temperature sensors for the climate control, warping plastic fascias inside the car

• 2 weeks later...