Head Gasket

timbo84

hey everyone

i was wondering how hard it is to change a head gasket on a 2008 Toyota aurion ATX? I believe i have blown one and was looking at doing it myself if it is not to hard.

Does anyone have any websites that they can show me?

thanks for your help

Tim

hey everyone

i was wondering how hard it is to change a head gasket on a 2008 Toyota aurion ATX? I believe i have blown one and was looking at doing it myself if it is not to hard.

Does anyone have any websites that they can show me?

thanks for your help

Tim

I also had mine replaced but Toyota did it for me under warranty. If you still have warranty something like this would be fixed by the dealer, if not, wait for someone who knows more than me. :ph34r:

Was there any explanation as to why the head gasket went ??

had a look today under the hood and i doubt it is the head gasket basically i have lost all the oil out of the engine. judging by the way it has exploded on the drivers side of the engine it is something worse :(

basically this is what happen ( should have mentioned this earlier)

I was driving to maccas and as I was going through drive through the air con switch started flashing so I checked the manual and it said that there was something wrong with the air con and take it to service dealer.

As I was driving home no oil or engine lights came on and just as I got home I heard a clunk then as I parked the car I could smell oil burning and saw underneath that all my oil was on the floor as if someone undone the sump plug and oil filter.

I have taken a couple of pics to show you and see if anyone can pick anything up.

on pic 4 (IMG_0058) there is a valve that doesnt have a cap or anything, could that be were the oil came from and the cap exploded off it? or is it nothing

Tim

post-21795-0-27984100-1296343053_thumb.j

post-21795-0-90344300-1296343068_thumb.j

post-21795-0-92246800-1296343079_thumb.j

post-21795-0-33093700-1296343111_thumb.j

post-21795-0-10703100-1296343193_thumb.j

That valve in pic 4 never has a cover on it. Haven't yet found out what it is, but I just suspect it is a bleed valve possibly for coolant or something.

How many k's are on your car? If this is the VVT-i oil line issue, you would be the first case I have heard of it in Aus.

That valve in pic 4 never has a cover on it. Haven't yet found out what it is, but I just suspect it is a bleed valve possibly for coolant or something.

How many k's are on your car? If this is the VVT-i oil line issue, you would be the first case I have heard of it in Aus.

ah k cool

the car only has 64,000kms on it

Yikes !!!!

That doesn't look good at all.

Interestingly the 2nd pic, the one of the underside of the plastic cover, looking at the colour of the oil, it looks like a milky brown colour, the colour engine oil gets when mixed with water !

Your initial assumption about a head gasket may be correct, however I don't know why it's spewed the oil everywhere though. Would be interesting to find where it's come from.

Keep us posted on whatever happens next and good luck

Interestingly the 2nd pic, the one of the underside of the plastic cover, looking at the colour of the oil, it looks like a milky brown colour, the colour engine oil gets when mixed with water !

Doesn't look milky brown to me. All I see is the normal colour of the insulation underneath with some engine oil on top.

It is suspected that the 2GR-FE used in Australia never really got the VVT-i oil line issue (maybe due to climate etc), but if you can, can you look at the rubber hose of that oil line and see if it looks a bit suspect. I know it may be hard to see with all the oil around, but it may give a clue. For more information on that issue, refer here:

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20320

100% correct, there is only coolant behind there.

I'm looking more to the rear bank of cylinders for the cause. Note in pic 4 the power steering reservoir (plastic tank in top left of image) has a nice little oil pattern on it, as does one of the VVTi solenoids (top right). Unusually, the rocker cover 'plug' (top and centre) has no visible oil.

Some more pics around the back would be nice, or top up your oil and start the engine (caution for hot and high pressure oil) and take a video. This also assumes that you did not starve the engine of oil last time it ran also (if the oil level never went below low then you should be ok).

I'm doubting it is a head gasket, as these a still quite a way below where you have taken your pics.

It ended up being the VVTi oil line that burst. Got it repaired under warranty

Thank you everyone for the help and answers

Tim

Holy **** :o :o :o

I wonder if you are the first case in Australia for it to burst? We actually had word drifting around this forum that the Toyotas in America are more affected than ours. Guess that's not the case and it's for us too.

You know that replacing the vvt-i oil line is FREE. It was a optional recall according to the dealer so anyone with an the 2GR-FE engine can get it replaced for free.

It was never indicated by him however that this definitely WASN'T done. For all we know, it could have actually been swapped for the revised part but was not fitted absolutely correctly.

Just sayin'.

• 8 years later...
On 1/30/2011 at 12:59 AM, timbo84 said:

had a look today under the hood and i doubt it is the head gasket basically i have lost all the oil out of the engine. judging by the way it has exploded on the drivers side of the engine it is something worse :(

Had this, oil coolant return line. Blows, drops 5 litres in seconds. Just something to check.