06 Corolla fell off Jack

McOnDaMic

Hi All,

I changed my car's front brake pads today BUT....

When I jacked up the car with the Toyota standard jack... too lazy to go to shed to get my hydro jack.

Pulled the front passenger wheel off, got up opened the bonnet to remove the brake fluid cap then the jack gave way and the car dropped on the disc! :o

I then got my hydro jack and lifted the car properly, changed the pads, moved the (now warped) dust cover off the disc, adjusted the piston then put the wheel back on and released it back to the ground.

When I pumped the brakes it seemed fine when the car was off, but when I run the car on idle the brake pedal hits the floor everytime.

I bled the front passenger brake while the car was off then tried again and the pedal still goes to the floor.

There is no leak that I can find, but I am guessing that there must be some air in the line or air being released before creating the pressure.

Any ideas from the community will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Michael

This is a generic sort of answer, but maybe try bleeding the whole system rather than just the front passenger side. As in start from rear passenger moving towards the master cylinder topping up the fluid as required.

Good luck.

P.S Use axle stands next time, lucky you weren't under the car :S

P.S Use axle stands next time, lucky you weren't under the car :S

Yeah when I do major work I lift with the hydro jack then drop it on the stands.

Very lucky I wasn't under it... When I was searching for a solution to my problem, I saw heaps of posts about people under the car when the jack gave way!

Would it really be a bleeding problem? I'll try it tomorrow and post back with results.

bleed the system again and never use just a jack unless your changing a tyre

@eviltwin, I bled all 4 while the engine was running and it still goes to the floor. Now the handbrake lifts up even higher as well.

Any other ideas???

I might have to call a mobile mechanic :(

Edited by McOnDaMic

ok, first things first are you making sure that you keep the reservoir topped up with brake fluid? Otherwise your going to simply suck air back through the lines every time, another thing , are you bleeding the lines in the correct order? longest to shortest from the rear to the front , another tip , get a second person if you havn't already to pump the pedal whilst you keep an eye on the bubbles coming out of the bleeder line and also to make sure your keeping that reservoir filled .

Hope this helps!

ok, first things first are you making sure that you keep the reservoir topped up with brake fluid? Otherwise your going to simply suck air back through the lines every time, another thing , are you bleeding the lines in the correct order? longest to shortest from the rear to the front , another tip , get a second person if you havn't already to pump the pedal whilst you keep an eye on the bubbles coming out of the bleeder line and also to make sure your keeping that reservoir filled .

Hope this helps!

Hi,

Yep yep and all yep.

Everything that came out of the nipple, through the clear tube i had on the nipple, in more fluid, was clear.... no bubbles at all.

I just took the car for a spin.

Brakes are still no good, have to floor them for the car to stop slowly.

Also noticed that the hand brakes are gone too.

clearly its not in a safe driving state, and if u've tried everything within your limit of ability with no result, stop messing around with it and test driving it before u injure urself or someone else. Call a mobile guy, but not a mobile mechanic. Least of all not Lube Mobile. Give ABS a call (think it stands for "All-area Brake Servicing" or something similar) and get them to check it out. I had the brakes do the same thing in one of my cars (all-be-it i didn't drop it on a bare hub), called them off a recommendation from a friend, and i had it fixed the same day for a lot cheaper than I was quoted by Lube Mobile. For 2 new front brake rotors, new pads, reconditioning of the pistons on the spot, full system bleed and labour and consumables it cost me just short of $600. Considering it was about 4 hours work and with the exception of the reconditioned pistons every other part was brand new, i think it was worth the money. I may have just had a good guy, but seriously, give them a go.

@Stewbie: Good advice, agree 100%.

It was the recommendation from a mobile mechanic, he told me if it stops like that then the brakes still work just without much pressure.

I have a mechanic around the corner so I'll take it to him!

I'll try to post back what the outcome is!

Hi All,

All good, apparently the brakes (which fit into the slots perfectly were the wrong ones), I notified the store which specified the wrong part no. in its system and i'll get a refund.

Mechanic got the right Bendix one and fit it in, readjusted everything and its all back to normal now!

Thanks All. :D

Just remember when using ANY jack to always use something to protect yourself in case it fails (or the car). The one thing you (should) always have is the spare tyre! Slide it under next to the jack and at least you and the car will be safe regardless.

Tis also why I recommend keeping the stock spare when upgrading to larger rims - less $$$ if in the above situation it saves you but gets buckled in the process.

Tis also why I recommend keeping the stock spare when upgrading to larger rims - less $$$ if in the above situation it saves you but gets buckled in the process.

But always keep a set of the stock wheel nuts with the spare too just in case the new ones off your alloys don't fit!

Your lucky thats all that happened i had a mate did similar thing to you accept his front bar came flying off went about 5 metres flying till it hit him in his back he was infront of the car on the phone and turned aroudn to a flying front bar :D